Free Cars For People On Welfare

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Ken Anderson, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Maine's Governor Janet Mills is moving ahead with her plan to give new cars and cars no older than 2015 (with a 2-year-warranty) to people in Maine who are on welfare. Oh, and she also wants federal help for dealing with COVID-19, although we've had very few COVID-19 patients.

I'm not sure how she'll decide who gets a new car and who gets only a five-year-old car, but I'm pretty sure it will have a lot to do with political connections.

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Why doesn't the moron issue bus tickets instead? How will someone on welfare afford insurance and upkeep on a personal vehicle?

3. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

They will sell it for drug money probably. Don't they get free phones now?

Martin Alonzo and Lois Winters like this.
  4. Ken Anderson

She's spent a fortune installing electric charging stations for electric cars, although I don't think I've seen one in Maine yet. I'm sure there are some people in the southern part of the state who have them but if there was a real need, gas stations would install them. Maybe she'll be giving electric cars to welfare recipients, I don't know.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Maybe I am going to (temporarily ) move to Maine, and march around with some kind of a Biden sign. Our old truck is over 20 years old, and I would dearly LOVE to have a nice little car to drive.
    An electric one would be SO perfect ! !

No.... If I had one that was only a few years old, i could not afford the license and insurance for it. I wonder how the Welfare people up there will do that ?
    It might end up like those television programs where they build some poor person a brand new house, and then they can’t live there because they can’t afford the taxes and insurance.

I know that is what happened to the guy in Idaho. , where they built him a nice new home on his existing lot (where he was living in a started basement).
    Once they built the whole new house Over the basement, he had to sell it, and then didn’t even have the basement house to live in.
    Didn’t something similar happen when Oprah gave away new cars to people in her audience ?

6. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

It always annoyed me that Oprah did not give those cars to anyone. They were donated by GM. She got to put on the show but her "generosity" cost her nothing.

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/oprah-gives-away-nearly-300-new-cars
    ... the gift wasn’t really from Oprah at all. Pontiac had donated the cars, paying the hefty price tag out of its advertising budget, because the company hoped that that the giveaway would drum up some enthusiasm for its new G-6 line. (To this end, during the segment, Winfrey herself took a tour of a Pontiac plant, gushing over the cars’ satellite radios and fancy navigation systems.) The car company also paid the state sales tax on each of the automobiles it donated. However, that still left the new-car recipients with a large bill for their supposedly free vehicles: Federal and state income taxes added up to about $6,000 for most winners. Some people paid the taxes by taking out car loans; others traded their new Pontiacs for cheaper, less souped-up cars. “It’s not really a free car,” one winner said. “It’s more of a 75 percent-off car. Of course, that’s still not such a bad deal.”

Lois Winters and Yvonne Smith like this.
  7. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

I've always had old cars and trucks - never a new one. I'm moving to Maine..... if my old car will make it.

8. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Who the Hell do these people think they are? It's not their money.

Does your governor have the authority to do this, or is your state legislature just as damaged?

What the heck is going on in this country?

9. Ken Anderson

We have a Democrat governor and Democrat majorities in both Houses. Since the COVID nonsense, our state legislature doesn't even bother convening. She literally does whatever she wants, governing as a monarch.

We can't keep her from spending money but more than half the population ignores her orders. Most municipal and county law enforcement won't enforce her COVID dictates, and the state police won't even make arrests, pointing out correctly that they aren't laws because they were never enacted by the legislature or signed into law.

10. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

It is a Democrat election year tactic proposing free stuff.

11. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Good for your state police for upholding their duty to the public and not being an arm of a monarch.

Our little blackface dictator has convened a "special session" of the state legislator. He wants his Mask Executive Order made into law. He also wants another shot at pushing through some of the gun control that failed the pass during the normal process...this time, I doubt that we will be able to "peacefully assemble."

12. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

To continue @Ken Anderson 's comment. Another part of her doing is to initiate the reporting of non-compliance to her mandates. Since the reporting of people not wearing masks could lead to legal issues she's not prepared to take on she's shifted the emphasis to getting people to report on businesses that don't enforce her mask mandate. She can fine, have business license voided. I welcomed the citizens of Maine to our own brown-shirt era on FB and twitter

Ken Anderson likes this.
  13. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

She'll give them the money to do that also.

Yvonne Smith and Lois Winters like this.
  14. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

I laugh when the government gives away anything and people are so happy. Stupid the government dose not have money - they have your money that they are giving you and others. Take from Peter to pay Paul This idea of the government giving your money to someone that did not earn it. Divide and concur.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  15. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Martin, I know that spelling isn’t your long suit and we all have our strong points and weak points so I’ve never mentioned it but this time, I gotta point something out.
    Note something first. One particular misspelling totally cracked me up because the word that replaced the word you meant to type has more truth to it than the cliche’ phrase you were trying to write.

You meant to write, “divide and conquer” but it showed up as “divide and concur”. The truth to the mistype is that yes, there are forces that are doing a good job of dividing us but unfortunately, many do concur or rather, agree with it !

Martin Alonzo and Dwight Ward like this.