Free At Last , Sold My Car.

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Lon Tanner, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

No it's free @Frank Sanoica

Driving licences automatically expire once you reach the age of 70 and if you wish to continue to drive, then you must renew your licence. From then on, you must continue to renew it every three years.

The DVLA automatically sends a reminder by post about 90 days prior to the licence expiry date and this will include a D46P, so you can apply for a licence renewal by post if you prefer this method to online renewal. This usually takes around three weeks.

There is no charge for renewing your licence once you reach the age of 70. Drivers aged less than 70 are normally charged £20.

The RAC Foundation says there are more than four million motorists in Britain aged over 70 and this will continue to rise as the baby boomer generation reaches retirement age. There are also nearly 200 motorists aged 100 or over still driving!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
    Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

A break for those over 70. I'm impressed. Not to be found here. The hard-earned wages of youth and middle age, coveted by the gov't. under the guise of Social Security Tax, then squandered over the years until insolvency looms, highlights one of the glaring deficiencies of our political system. S/S was originally proclaimed to be sacrosanct, then gradually was "eaten away" by hungry politicians. Similarly, personal property taxes were extended to include vehicle ownership, which the "leaders" knew were an absolute necessity to daily existence, encompassing taxation on everything a poor working class bastard owned. The form sent out in Crook County Illinois had listings requiring completion by the taxpayer: Number of cattle owned, swine, chickens, boats, cars, trucks, buildings, outhouses, yeah, you paid a tax to shit, even! I couldn't believe it, when I saw that form, I told my wife, we are leaving, the first chance we get. Happened in 1972, never been back.
    Frank

3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

It might be crooked, Frank but I LOVE Chicago. All good memories, some of the best are from there.

The fee for a drivers license isn't too high Frank, in the UK and elsewhere in Europe they have free healthcare...is that what you want?

I know in Canada you're taxes are high to pay for the free stuff. And their gas prices are almost twice ours.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  4. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Automotive registration, license plates, were $30 in Illinois back then, a bargain compared to some states. Of course, when I moved to Nevada, 1972, my old Mercury cost $6.00 to register! It was said then, that many taxes present in most states, were absent in Nevada due to the gambling revenues. Some of it was hype, but for the most part true. I had a list of taxes imposed elsewhere, not NV, there were something like 20 taxes involoved.
    Frank

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't sweat the small stuff, I don't even know what the taxes are here in CA for things to do with my car.

The yearly sticker price is higher than most states though.