Fracking

Discussion in 'Energy & Fuel' started by Patsy Faye, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

What do you think of it ?
    They want to do it over here but there's a lot of opposition ..................

2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

As far as I'm concerned @Patsy Faye they can frack off with their fracking over here!! o_O

Patsy Faye likes this.
  3. Patsy Faye

Registered

Ha ha - agree !
    Always been concerned about it, just doesn't make sense that its not a worry, considering what's involved
    And - as usual, these things are done without the consideration of 'sense' - there are lots of things we should never have pursued

@Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders likes this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I'm not sure how I feel about fracking. Since environmentalism is more about money, power, and taking from some to give to others, I rarely take the environmentalist side of things. I don't clearly understand the science behind it but fracking seems dangerous to me, so I feel about fracking much the same as I feel about nuclear power, that one day we'll be sorry about what we've done.

Sheldon Scott and Patsy Faye like this.
  5. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

From what I understand, fracking is the drilling of the shale - I think this is the bedrock that serves as the base of the ground. The purpose of drilling is to get the natural gas which can be used as fuel. Fracking is already prevalent in the US and some environmentalists are scared that it might have a side effect in the future. Yeah, we don't know how that drilling of the shale would affect the planet. My take on fracking is that natural gas may replace the use of oil for fuel. Maybe that's connected to Saudi Arabia's unabated oil production, they are afraid that their oil will be obsolete soon.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  6. Patsy Faye

Registered

My thoughts too !

7. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

I do not support fracking. They did some near my hometown and there were complaints fracking had harmed the water supply. I would continue to oppose it. Just my opinion.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

One of the dangers of fracking seems to be that it also causes earthquakes. When they drill for the fracking they put water (chemically treated water at that) into the ground until the pressure becomes so great that rocks split apart.
    That is a LOT of pressure !
    Then, they take the gas out; but the ground is unstable and the water can spread to other areas, and sometimes reaches fault-lines.
    Some of the gas also gets into drinking water supplies.
    If you look there are plenty of youtube videos showing people who turn on their kitchen faucet and put a mach to the water, and the gas coming out catches fire.
    The state of Oklahoma is a great example of fracking caused earthquakes. They have gone from having 1-2 small ones per year, to well over 900 , and that is several quakes each and every day........ Not good ! !

Patsy Faye likes this.
  9. Ken Anderson

They'd rather we blame global warming for that.

10. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

As Yvonne mentioned, the fracking does have a lot to be desired because it can cause a lot of shifting not only in the layers of earth but the shelves as well.
    At least, when I was off shore I understood that water replaced the crude oil so there were no actual open caverns or layer stressing created. That said, the most recent BP problem created a whole different spectrum of problems with the EPA so off shore leasing for oil exploration in U.S. waters is almost nil.

Jimmy Carter's administration cut off all leases for off shore drilling and the U.S. was stuck with OPEC and now the present resident in the White House is stiff handing the leases out as well.
    Eventually we will see fracking go down the same pathway making the U.S. totally dependent upon other countries for our fossil fuels.

Here's what I do not understand about the whole mess. Why, when the EPA or whoever deems that something is wrong to do in the U.S. can we buy from other countries who do not have the same laws?
    Example: We cannot produce real veal or pate' foi gras because it is deemed cruel to animals but we can buy a ton of it from other countries.
    We do not have slavery in the U.S. nor condone such but we buy cocao and diamonds which are harvested by slaves.
    Back to oil, if it is found that it screws up our environment, does it not screw up somebody else's.

In other words, it's like committing murder. If we cannot find it in ourselves to do the deed, is paying someone else to do it for us a better choice?
    Instead of making someone else do our dirty work because they want our money more than we need it, allow this country to "safely" extract what we have to have and be independent in the long run until something better comes along.

Yeah, until recently we couldn't buy a good Cuban cigar though because of the sanctions. Uh...but we could still buy a ton of Cocaine from Columbia though! I know, off topic! My brain must be tired.....ask my wife.

11. Ken Anderson

That's because it's not about the environment, or saving the earth. Our environmental policies are intended to strengthen other countries and weaken the United States, while at the same time strengthening the power that the federal government has over the states and its people.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  12. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Yeah, true you Ken. The spotted owl gutted the lumber industry all over California and then some idiot bait fish has Sacramento Valley farmers starving and going out of business.
    It used to be that the government paid farmers not to farm. Now we just starve them out and put em' on welfare.
    It's the same thing with the oil industry. I saw my rig pulled into dock and there it sat for years doing absolutely nothing while the general riggers went on some government assistance while bankrupting the owners and major stock holders of the companies that explored and produced oil.
    Just about the only major company that squeezed by was Halliburton but only because they were so diversified and didn't have all of their eggs in one basket.

13. Ken Anderson

I wonder how many oil wells we have in this country alone that have been capped, despite the fact that they still have oil. Years ago, I was a member of a Lion's Club in Texas. On our property, we had two oil wells. I forget how much money the club made from them, although I was the treasurer, but the amount of oil that was being pumped from these two wells had not decreased at the time that the oil company capped the wells, removing them altogether a few years later.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
    Bobby Cole likes this.
  14. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

If a person ventures out about 90 miles out into the Gulf of Mexico off of Louisiana and Alabama it's hard not to hit a "Christmas Tree," a capped well ready for production. There are THOUSANDS of them just ready and waiting for a production rig to pull up and start pumping crude but because of the leasing rights and government interference they stay as they are.
    Sometimes the exploration of a well is done by one company and then later on if that company hasn't been given the rights to pump it sits and waits for another company to pick up the least and start producing. It's all dependent on who greases who with what and where the grease goes. Because of the present resident in the White House, you can use your imagination as to where the U.S. gets greased and what get's produced. It's painful to say the very least.