Fox News By Faye

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Faye Fox, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Jan. 11, 2020 04:51 hours PST ... --- ...

Well, I am feeling a bit guilty about schooling the boys on military radios yesterday. I just couldn't help myself. I could hear Von saying, "No NO Nanette," but my fingers fell on the keys anyway. What I failed to mention was in 68 and 69, I took on a contract servicing and repairing military radios. I hated those Vietnam era radios. I never like solid-state. I grew up around radios and guns, military and civilian. It used to really anger some boys when the ranch neighbor boys would set up a sharpshooter contest and enter me in and place their bets on me. I never lost a rifle or revolver match. The money was split 4 ways, but still better than babysitting brats. My folks were glad I was a girl or else I would have been drafted to Vietnam and no doubt made a sniper. Glad to see this YouTube thing resolved. It took a girl to step in and resolve it. Getting my popcorn out, chatting with you all during intermission, while I wait for the next boy's war of words and insults. While it is painful to watch a boy giving another boy a wedgie, at least they aren't snapping my bra anymore.

2. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

Curiosity is a gift. You seem to use it well, Faye.

Sheldon Scott and Faye Fox like this.
  3. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Jan. 11, 2020 06:05 hours PST ... --- ...
    OK, since no one is going to comment on my poorly veiled message that has followed my dating and time documentation for the last few mornings, I am just going to blurt it out! I gave you all the clues, but no response. How many times does a girl have to type ... --- ... before someone gets the message. I know this is antiquated messaging and such important history is lost in the dusty rat chewed leather-bound volumes stacked in an unknown location in a nondescript building.

This history is what led to computers being developed and digital electronics. What an invention the telephone was. Better yet was wireless voice communications. It amazes me that kids with a perfectly good clear voice duplex portable phone would resort to pushing keys or swiping to sent a text message. This is using a modern state of the art communications device for a primitive way of radio communicating.

Save Our Ship was the message but when tapping it out on a code key it was shortened to SOS. S ... O --- It became an international distress signal. Now kids have returned to using initials for texting to save time. LOL, PIMP, LMAO, etc. If texting is so exhausting we have to use initials, then why not use voice? I have my own IAYM which stymies the youthful code talkers of today, my grand fake nieces and nephews. Grandkids of friends needing a favor from old "Auntie" Faye, may receive... IAYM = I Ain't Your Mama!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  4. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Jan. 12, 2020 08:45 PST

I’m sad this morning! I am sad that a new part of my life has ended. I joined this forum to interact with seniors in hopes that it would give me an escape from a trying situation to which I am dedicated. One of my closest and longest friends has early-stage dementia. Most of the day she is of a clear mind, but she has a few hours she drifts off and while she knows everyone, she imagines things that don’t happen, can’t remember what she said 10 minutes earlier, and gets aggravated very easy. She gets frustrated just trying to send an email. She is a degreed computer technician and the one that taught me almost everything I know about computer operating. I visit her every day in the afternoons because this seems to be the time of day she has these spells. She has been through all kinds of medical testing and at this time the best diagnoses is early-stage dementia. No medications seem to help. Her children and grandchildren have abandoned her as far as sitting and working with her. Their visits are short. Her husband needs a break, so I am happy to visit during her times of need. It tries my patience to the fullest. Going over and over a simple computer task with her for an hour, just to hear her say, “I just don't get it,” requires patience I didn’t realize I processed. The few times I have got impatience and just breathed heavy in frustration, I brought her to tears. It broke my heart so I had resolved to do what I must and hope if this ever happens to me, someone will have the patience and take the time to help me accomplish things that once were simple, but age has made complicated.
    On this forum, one very intelligent man has let others know he is suffering early-stage dementia. Once a simple task has become difficult. While he has a recall of many technical things, he had difficulty grasping simple instructions on sharing a video. Even the best doctors don’t understand why this is. Why one can recall amazing details about in-depth topics, but can’t grasp simple instructions.
    What upset me and why I am leaving this forum is the uncompassionate response by one man that loves to banter with him and show off his expertise. The bantering doesn’t bother me, but when the dementia sufferer is told by the one that loves to banter with him, that he has had it with him because of his self-admitted mental disorder or maybe intentional stubbornness, that is it for me. When I confronted this self-proclaimed Christian about dementia not being a MENTAL illness or disorder, but a physical disorder with mental symptoms and his uncompassionate behavior, well nothing but justification and trying to impress others with his expertise of medical terms. Being a Christian means following the teaching of Christ. The main thing Christ taught was compassion and patience. Of all the virtues these are the hardest to practice. When one can’t stand up and admit they were wrong, make an apology without any justification, then I want no part of a forum that claims to be a seniors forum and tolerates one that is demeaning and verbally abusive to a dementia sufferer and sugar coats his oblivious frustration as just bantering with a friend and doing him a favor keeping his mind active.
    The point I want to make is if one thinks bantering is helping another keep their mind sharp that is fine, but therapeutic bantering and a direct insult to infer their opponent is mentally ill, inferring retardation, are two different things. Joking in general about dementia is one thing, but taking jabs personally at one suffering dementia is UNACCEPTABLE and a shame for a seniors forum. I will not be part of such a hypocritical forum.
    Dementia sufferers are like sheep that have lost their shepherd. Will you be their shepherd or become the wolf that loves the smell of a wound, the sound of your own howl, and another victory for the wolf pack?

Craig Wilson likes this.
  5. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I've been going through the same thing with my wife, It's not easy for me and even worse for her. I wish we had a friend nearby who would spend time with her

6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Are you still working on moving to California where you have family to help out , @Sheldon Scott ? I know that you mentioned selling your home and moving, but that was a while back, and hopefully, that is going to help you out a lot.

Bess Barber likes this.
  7. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

We're still in the talking stage. Daughter is having trouble finding a place

8. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

@Faye Fox -- Sorry you feel you have to leave the forum. I'd like to say that I think you may be overreacting to that situation. Those two posters have exchanged similar conversation "jabs" since I have been here, usually teasing. I don't believe that anyone's Christian beliefs should be questioned; even Christians can be short-tempered in some situations. No one is perfect.

Bill Boggs and Yvonne Smith like this.
  9. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

10. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

@Faye Fox , is going to leave SoC????? Well, dammit, I'm gonna leave too! :mad:
    :D

11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Forum mini-drama. :D

12. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

The reality show producers have no idea what they are missing. They should start a Housewives and Widows of Boomerville series.
    We'll show 'em how it is done. :D

13. Beth Gallagher

Registered

14. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

15. Monica Rich

Monica Rich Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

@Faye Fox
    Your friend has my full sympathy and understanding. I just recently went through a several year period of mental decline that was the MOST terrifying experience I have ever had in life, and I have had other problems in life that rattled me to my core.
    I went into total despair over it.
    At the risk of being accused of trying to sell something. (I have been accused of this). Which I am not. I am just trying to help your friend find something, anything that may help her. Since it helped me it could help her too.
    See my post under Health category about COGNIZIN. It pulled me out of the deep depths of severe mental decline. As we age all of us have a decline in our body's creating Neurotransmitters, it just affects some worse then others so my husband takes the two formulas as prevention even though his decline was minor compared to me.
    Also, after writing that post about Cognizin I realized that I was also taking Meriva at the same time. So it could be possible it was the two together that helped get such good results since Meriva has Phosphatidylcholine in it.
    The ingredients in Cognizin and the Phosphatidylcholine are also being used to prevent and treat Parkinson's. Most of the Neurological/Brain malfunctions are closely related so what prevents, slows down progress, treats one can also help with others.
    Anyway it is something to try. If I was her I would stop taking the drugs and then try these two. Just in case the drugs prevent them from working!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    Bess Barber and Bill Boggs like this.