Found Something Yesterday For My Apartment

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Denise Evans, Nov 6, 2016.

1. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

some of you know I've been here since January, and have had to start from scratch. It's fun though, and I've been looking for things to make my place cozy. Some online "window" shopping didn't offer up what had pictured in my mind's eye;)

So yesterday I am driving along and see my fave thriftstore so I stopped in thinking it's Saturday, won't be anything left if it's good, LOL!

I found a bedspread that is like new, shams, and a bedskirt that hadn't ever been used. It matched, although not in the set:) Here's some pics, and the green lampshade I liked too:) I know you guys won't be into this, LOL! But to find what I wanted for $15.00 at a thriftshop, was pretty cool!!

The spread is a king so a bit big for my bed, but it will do just fine for now:) The lighting isn't good so the pattern looks a little washed out, but it is bright enough for me. The lampshade I can live with, better than beige or white. The room NEEDS color, LOL!!

DSCF2706.JPG

DSCF2707.JPG

DSCF2708.JPG

DSCF2709.JPG

2. Denise Evans

Registered

the 3rd one down makes it look blue but it is also light lavender;) The next thing I need to get is a nice blanket. I have one, but it is a twin and falls a bit short when I toss and turn too much, LOL!!

3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That is an awesome bedroom set, Denise, and it looks to me like it fits your bed perfectly. The white edging goes right around the edge of your bed right where the edging should be at.
    We do just about all of our shopping at the local Veterans' Thrift Store. the have $1 day on Monday when everything with one color tag is only $1, and on Tuesdays, it is Seniors Day, and everything is 30% off for seniors. they have other designated days, too; but those two are the ones I usually try for.
    There is also a liquidation store near the thrift store, and they mark tags down every 2 weeks or so, and we shop there too, and watch for bargains.

Denise Evans likes this.
  4. Denise Evans

Registered

I love going there, we have just the one where they are not greedy, and you can usually find a deal:) There are a couple in town that are higher priced, but I don't see the coolest things at either of those that I see at St. Vincent DePaul, I guess I didn't give the name earlier;) Used to love the Salvation Army in Coos Bay Oregon. We have half off day on Tuesdays, on all clothing that is.

I'm watching for a couch or loveseat in good shape, nothing yet. But I have my recliner so that will do for now:) I really have all I need now, but now I'm focused on some wants. I wanted to buy something brand new online, but couldn't find the patterns I wanted, or colors. Plus, I can spend that extra dough on something else, LOL:)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

@Denise Happyfeet that is a lovely bedspread, and I like the extra application of embroidery as well. That is something you can apply to the pieces you have now, or any other pieces you might bring to the set to coordinate your person tastes.

I've been known to drag pieces of old broken furniture home just so I could tear them apart and refurbish them. One of my favorite pieces is a cabinet that I repurposed as a pantry for my kitchen.

IMG_4130.JPG

6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Yard sales are always good, too, and Craigslist often has free items if you look on there. We have given away things that we didn't need that way, and people are always happy to come and pick up whatever it is.
    You are in a smaller town, so CL should be pretty safe. We use it here all of the time, and I have never had any kind of a problem, even though you hear bad things about it online.
    Around the end of the month is when people move, and often will give things away that they can't take along when they move. You have the little pickup, so you could haul something if it was not too large.

7. Denise Evans

Registered

omygosh I love that cabinet!! WTG @Ina I. Wonder I have a neighbor that has done a lot of furniture refurbishing. I would like to try something one day. I have some piece already, but no motivation yet. I would like a neat pantry type like that. Useful, and decorative;) Lovely!! You are very talented:)

8. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

Thank you @Denise Happyfeet, you should have seen it when I first picked it up. It had been in a fire, and I had to replace one side panel. It had a dark brown finish on it, so I lightly sanded it. Then I just applied a leftover thinned down application of candy apple red over the top to coordinate it with the shelving of my kitchen.

There are so many ways to turn trash to treasure, and I value these kind of pieces more than the things I get brand new. I like the challenge of living on the least amount of money I can. So keep at it, and you'll build your home into something that shows other's what your tastes are about too. :p :)

Denise Evans likes this.
  9. Denise Evans

Registered

I admire your talent, because you have to have an eye for something first of all, what "can" it be, or what "can" I turn it into. You did amazing, especially if it was in a fire. I did read up on pieces that are stinky, like from mold/mildew, and I'm thinking smoke could be handled the same way. Primers, and my X taught me too, that with floors that have had a lot of animals stains etc? Those can be sealed and cover the smell. I won't have to deal with that living here in an apt. but it's neat to learn.

My neighbor I mentioned had a sort of bucket, wooden, that she got somewhere. I'll see if I can find a pic similar. Ok, here's one shaped like hers down at the bottom of my post. She painted in a pretty turquoise, then, she had someone in a shop downtown but glass, 2 pieces, round and in two sizes, one smaller than the other. She somehow put a light in there to plug in, and on top of top-most glass, she put a layer of agates. When the light is on they not only look gorgeous, they make an amazing reflection on her ceiling!! Ideas, that's all we need, oh, and then motivation of course, LOL!!

Ok, need to put in smaller pic, be back soon;) Ok, her bucket was shaped like that, I found that one though and think it's lighting is super neat too, I love lighting ideas:)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  10. Denise Evans

Registered

Oh man, that came out way to big, lol!!

11. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

@Denise Happyfeet, you are still very new in your home, so the sky's is your only limit, and it too has lighting shining down on you. Once you get your essentials set in place you'll start to let your imagination guide you. I don't know why people think only young women have the nesting instinct. And all of us birds pad our nest to suit our needs and tastes. It will be fun seeing what you come up with. Just have fun. :) :p :D

Joe Riley and Denise Evans like this.
  12. Denise Evans

Registered

Thanks @Ina I. Wonder such a good point, I do have a nesting instinct;) I feel more at home now, than I ever remember feeling:) So I really want to enjoy making this place cozy for me:) I think sometime we spend so much time making things nice for others, then if we end up alone, we forget to make things nice for us, or that it's ok to do that:) hugs Ina, see your tomorrow:)

Joe Riley and Holly Saunders like this.
  13. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

As @Holly Saunders told me after I lost my two Michaels, "Now is the time to be kind to yourself." So start pampering yourself young lady. Ni night, and sweet dreams. Oh, I'm just so mushy!! :rolleyes: :p

Holly Saunders likes this.