Forum Down Today For About 45 Mins.

Discussion in 'Notices & Announcements' started by Chrissy Cross, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

You searched on seniorsonly.com which is not the right domain for this forum. This forum is on seniorsonly.club and I am not aware of having any server problems today. I have been doing other things off and on, but I have a program that tests the server periodically and sends me an email letting me know of any downtime. Plus, I have been in and out of the forum frequently throughout the day and haven't seen a problem.

Your screenshot is from http://www.isitdownrightnow.com/ and that site is telling me that seniorsonly.club is down but, as I am in the forum right now, it clearly isn't down. I'm thinking that they haven't updated whatever they use to check on server status, and probably don't acknowledge some of the new extensions, such as .club

Whatever the problem, I think it is with the isitdownrightnow.com site.

2. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

Ken, it was down for awhile today....error said something about the server. I tried it several times.

3. Ken Anderson

Okay, I think that what you have to do in order to get an accurate answer from isitdownrightnow.com is use the www. after the http and before the seniorsonly.club as when I do that, it tells me correctly that it is up. This is probably a configuration thing with the isitdownrightnow.com site. Although you can access seniorsonly.club with or without the www. if you do not include that, your browser will automatically add that. When I just entered the domain, it said it was down, only it wasn't.

http://www.isitdownrightnow.com/seniorsonly.club.html is telling me it's up now, but it was up the first time I tried.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

The screenshot in my post was from this morning when The site was down. And I did put seniorsonly.club into the search but for some reason it showed it as seniorsonly.com.

Anyway, is there a more reliable server status search like proboards had?

5. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Odd indeed Lara....still, hopefully all our votes will count. :D

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  6. Ken Anderson

I don't doubt that you did, but it was checking seniorsonly.com according to the screenshot. When I tried it, entering just the domain name, which is what it asks for, it also told me it was down, although I was in the forum at the time, and it wasn't down. Then I had it search for the full URL of http://www.seniorsonly.club and it said it was up. Curious, I tried searching for the URL as http://seniorsonly.club and it again told me it was down, although it wasn't. So I don't know what to say about that.

As far as ones that someone can go to in order to check, I don't know. There are several, I'm sure but I am not familiar with them. I use http://uptimerobot.com/ but you can't just enter a domain there. I have an account, and they check my site every five minutes, sending me an email if they find it down, as well as a weekly report. Pretty much every site goes down from time to time, and sometimes the problem is with the site's server, but at other times it can be a glitch anywhere on the Internet between the person trying to access the site and the site itself, which might mean that some people are having trouble but others aren't. Denial of Service attacks against an Internet hub can do that. I haven't gotten any emails from UpTimeRobot today, however.

Please don't misunderstand. I am not trying to say that you didn't have a problem, just that I wasn't experiencing a problem here and the service that I use to keep tabs on my server didn't detect a problem.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Okay, thanks Ken. Normally it's not something I worry about anyway it's just that my gateway has been acting up and I really can't tell if it's me or the forum. I had just reset it a few days ago so was hoping the forum was down rather than my gateway.

8. Ken Anderson

It is very hard to tell, and often impossible. When we view web sites, we tend to think of it in terms of going there. In reality, the opposite is true. When you access a web site, you aren't really going to the site; the site is brought up in your browser, which interprets it according to a set standard, which is why a site might look slightly different on one browser than it does on another.

A web site might be hosted on a server in Los Angeles. If so, the server in Los Angeles will send the information to browsers all over the world. If my server is in Los Angeles and I am in Millinocket, my request to receive the data that my browser will display as the web site might go through several connections before it reaches a hub. Then it will rapidly travel through the hub to California, after which it will have to travel through however many connections there might be from the hub to the server, which probably won't be very many, since most good servers are located near a hub. Once the server receives my request, it will send the data back to me, but probably not by the same route. That continues throughout the time that I am interacting with the web site. If something goes wrong with any of the computers or connections along the way, that could result in what would appear to be a server error. If one of those connections is down, the Internet will reroute the data but if it doesn't reach the intended destination quickly enough, it might result in what is known as a timeout.

You might think of it like a highway system. I live in a small town thirteen or fourteen miles from the Interstate. If I wanted to travel to a city in California, such as Los Angeles, I would have to first travel on backroads to the Interstate. From there, I could pretty much stay on Interstate highways all the way to California, but along the way I might encounter road construction or traffic accidents that slow me down. In places, I might have to detour. But I'll get there eventually. Once I get to California, I will probably be able to stay on the highways to Los Angeles because LA is a big city.

The Internet is kind of like that. The further you are from an Internet hub (highway), the slower and less reliable your connections might be. I live in Millinocket, Maine, but I would never host my forum in Millinocket because we have no major Internet hubs here, which would mean that everyone would have to travel the backroads of the Internet in order to connect to a forum hosted in Millinocket. I don't even remember where my forum is hosted. I think Los Angeles, which is why I used that as my example but I switched hosts a few months ago so I don't remember if the old one or the new one was in Los Angeles.

9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Thanks for the highway analogy because I understood it much better than what you said before that. :)

10. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Now, I have a headache!

Terry Page and Chrissy Cross like this.
  11. Chrissy Cross

Registered