Forgotten Apps

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Bobby Cole, Apr 4, 2022.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I hate that look, too, and I keep mine in the “List View” instead of the Grid View. this way, I can just scroll down to whatever one I want, and they are in alphabetical order. It is fast and easy !

CFBC3BD5-C405-4B9D-BFBA-A0D968CF081B.jpeg

Bobby Cole and John Brunner like this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Thanks for that!!! I had not read that tip. I need to figure out how to get most of them off of there. Since I don't use many apps, I've not figured out how to remove the icons without uninstalling the apps.

Do you use the weather complications? Did you notice that The Weather Channel recently changed their icons and displayed data points? I did a quick spin though and it seems that these changed for some watch faces and not for others...that some have the "Weather" complication now while others retain the legacy "Rain."

Bobby Cole likes this.
  3. Julia Curtis

Julia Curtis Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I would LOVE a Smartwatch!Someday...

4. John Brunner

I am "old school," Julia. I would carry my pocket watch as often as I would my wrist watch. I got a Smart Watch as my "Life Alert" device. I needed something since I live alone and in a remote spot, and this was way cheaper in the long run than the true Life Alert devices. I like the convenience of having a phone on my wrist, but don't use much of the other functionality.

I was recently having a conversation about smart watches on another forum, and several of us lamented that we have nice wrist watches that we never wear anymore because we are so accustomed to the functionality of the smart watch.

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

Having a smart watch would be a very good thing for you, @Julia Curtis ; since you have heart issues. There are so many health apps, most of them are free, and a smart watch is ideal for monitoring your heart health , and even for other health issues. All of the information is then stored on your phone, so you always have access to that when you need to share information with your doctor.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  6. John Brunner

Regarding Yvonne's above post...I wonder if the health aspect of a smart watch might not qualify it for some kind of funding assistance.

7. Julia Curtis

Registered

Nothing wrong with o.d school and I didn't want the life alert it was the Cardiologist that recommended it,It's expensive for me because I'm a year short of a senior and I applied in a lot of places for a small bit of help but I couldn't find anything because I'm not yet 65.

John Brunner likes this.
  8. Julia Curtis

Registered

I couldn't agree more Yvonne.It's a budget thing.It is something I'm definitely having but not on just CPP.:)

Yvonne Smith and John Brunner like this.
  9. John Brunner

A smart watch gives you fall detection and one-touch 911 dialing. Some of them have the functionality to make and receive phone calls on their own, without having the cell phone nearby. Mine has that feature, and it costs $5-$10/month to add as an extension of my cell number. But if you carry your cell phone with you so the watch can communicate through it, you do not need to incur that cost.

I paid for the watch over a 2 year period, and each payment was less than the cost of Life Alert...once the watch is paid off, there are no more monthly fees (unless you want to use it as a stand-alone cell phone, then it's $10 a month or less.)

I only point this out because it might save you money and give you some helpful technology. And if the only reason you have a landline is for your Life Alert, you might be able to do without it and save that money, too.

10. Julia Curtis

Registered

And you are right,I know that is the best plan I just need to save more.Most people have cards and stuff I don't qualify for any because until I turn 65 I just don't make enough on CPP Disability.Thats why my gym is the YMCA because they have a program for low income people.So next year but not now.But again you are right.:)

Bobby Cole and John Brunner like this.
  11. Yvonne Smith

Since you have a Samsung smartphone, you would need to have a Fitbit watch, or some other brand that works with Samsung, @Julia Curtis .
    Both John Brunner and I have Apple Watch es (as does most of the people here with a smartwatch); but I believe that a Fitbit would have most of the same features for safety and health monitoring as the Apple Watch does.

You can get older watches fairly cheap (compared to new models) because a lot of people trade theirs in when a new model comes out in the fall.
    So, you would still need to save for the initial purchase, but once you have the watch, you can stop paying for both your medical alert and also the home phone.

As John said, you would not need a cellular watch as long as you carry your phone along with you. Plus, the alert on the watch can work anywhere , but the medical alert like you have now has to be able to connect with your home phone.
    You should be able to get an older model smartwatch for under $300, especially since you do not need a cellular one.
    It is worth looking into. You can take an EKG anytime you want to, and monitor your heart rate and oxygen with your watch.

Joe Riley and Mary Stetler like this.
  12. Julia Curtis

Registered

I have about half of that in my pig(in loonies and dimes and nickles):):D

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  13. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

14. Julia Curtis

Registered

I LOVE it!

Joe Riley likes this.
  15. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I still wear a wrist watch and when the girls around the table are reaching for their phones when What time is it? comes up; I already know.:D