Foreign Languages

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Lon Tanner, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Just one reason we no longer live in a big and diverse city. There are those that love diversity, but we don't.

2. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

No sarcasm intended, Silvia! I was just offering my Lamb as a token of Peace!:)

Incidentally, I notice your keyboard has a Tilde and an inverted Question Mark...do you have a Spanish keyboard?

Halo_O

3. Silvia Benoit

Silvia Benoit Veteran Member
    Registered

Each time this subject is debated I remember a mother who said to me "If my daughter learns Spanish she will forget her English." Not only the daughter was 14 y/o but the mother also said to study French wouldn't cause the same negative consequence.

4. Mary Miller

Mary Miller Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

That is funny. My husband said his parents talked German to relatives when they did not want him to know what they were saying. My grandmother spoke German to us occasionally. I know 'Hurry up and eat!" and a few other commands.:oops:

5. Silvia Benoit

Registered

[QUOTE=" My husband said his parents talked German to relatives when they did not want him to know what they were saying. :oops:[/QUOTE]

Gee, this is the funniest thing I ever heard -and I did many times.
    The best / easiest way to learn a languages isn't conjugating the verbs but LISTENING TO NATIVE SPEAKERS OF THE TARGENT LANGUAGE.
    I used to be friends with the sons / daughters of three Italian speaking families (Buenos Aires). When I took Italian in college (USA) the guys who were Italian descendants couldn't understand why I spoke better than them -vocabulary / grammar / reading / conversation...The teacher knew and teased them.

6. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

I can swear in several languages; it has really come in handy.

Three years of Latin and one year of French in high school plus one year of French in
    college has left me lacking fluency, except in the above-mentioned instances of profanity.

I have picked up a bit of Spanish from living in Florida.

Set me down in most countries and I can order a beer and ask to be directed to the nearest ladies' room. That comes in handy, too.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  7. Silvia Benoit

Registered

How long are you living in Florida? If you have two+ years living there you should speak the language.