Foreign Film Enthusiast?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Andie Nuckels, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Andie Nuckels

Andie Nuckels Veteran Member
    Registered

I have always been a fan of foreign films and these last few weeks have been taking a foreign film class through our local community college. We have seen "The Big Animal" from Poland, "The Trip" from England and most recently "Two Days, One Night" from Belgium. They were all great. Has anyone else seen these? Please share some of your favorite foreign films!

Harry Kemp and Gary Ridenour like this.
  2. Gary Ridenour

Gary Ridenour Veteran Member
    Registered

are these available in the US?? these have different video systems than ours. usually pal or secam formats

3. Andie Nuckels

Andie Nuckels Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes! I live in California where we saw them in our class...

Harry Kemp likes this.
  4. Gary Ridenour

Gary Ridenour Veteran Member
    Registered

great they've been convert. I chase down DVD movie's and sometimes i can only get them from oversea's fortunately I have software to make the conversion

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I often watch foreign films but I don't go looking for them. If it looks like it might be a good film, I don't always let the fact that it's not in English keep me from watching it. I do best with German or Swedish than with films in Spanish, Arabic, or any of the Asian languages. Although I've lived on the Texas-Mexico border for more than twenty years and am somewhat conversant in Spanish, albeit far from fluent, I still have trouble watching movies in Spanish. In German or Swedish, I don't even need the captions most of the time. I couldn't translate the words, but I know what's going on in the movie.

Harry Kemp likes this.
  6. Harry Kemp

Harry Kemp Veteran Member
    Registered

I have tried to learn various languages by watching subtitled foreign language films, although I tend to get so absorbed by the film itself I find it doesn't work too well! I particularly like French and German films, but my modest attainments in these languages owes little to watching films!