Forbes: 25 Best Places In The Us To Retire

Discussion in 'Retirement & Leisure' started by Ken Anderson, May 7, 2016.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Forbes has published its list of the twenty-five best places in the United States to retire, not that we necessarily need to agree. Just so you know, they are listed in alphabetical order. For some reason, Forbes seems to think that we should retire in college towns. Pittsburgh? Really now?

Krissttina Isobe and Diane Lane like this.
  2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson I've studied these kinds of structured "recommendations" often. My gut feel is that "hype" is heavily involved. Some of the recommendations made are so far off base, I quit reading then and there. For example, to rate a municipal area containing population 120,000 as being conducive to "great retirement living" distorts the image many perspective retirees entertain. Why not then, move to New York with umpteen millions, where you may share taxation plans supporting 1/2 of the population?

My thinking is, if prospective retirees are actively looking and considering, that they should peruse citydata.com, or some similar site, look at those sites' offerings of ethnic dispersal, tax costs, climate extremes, cost of living in general, access to major transportation ports (airports), property taxes, and general political attitudes as they might be attractive (or otherwise), to the prospective new resident. Just my opinion. Frank

Diane Lane likes this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

In my opinion, the best place to retire to is a small town, but then I've always preferred small towns to large cities. The downside that I can think of is significant though, and that is that small towns don't have the medical infrastructure that many people will need in their aging years.

Sheldon Scott and Diane Lane like this.
  4. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

well, if the town has a university nearby, it may be the place to retire. Charlottesville Virginia is not very big but they have the University Hospital there. ALso, other university towns are centered around medical centers so that might be the place to be. Ther ar a lot of interesting places to retire if need be. State College PA is a nice place as well, but of course the weather there is not ideal.

Diane Lane likes this.
  5. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

@Frank Sanoica I love CityData! I've gathered information there before, before moving or considering a move. The members of the site are incredibly forthcoming with regard to actual living experience, rather than some reporter or other writer regurgitating someone else's work and catering to particular establishments. I like to know what the average resident's experience has been like, and relish the idea of picking their brains about specific situations, which zip codes or neighborhoods are the best, safest, etc.

It's true, those cities/areas with university hospitals might be good bets, especially for those with complicated medical histories, but those hospitals also tend to be very busy ones. Although they might be good places to be if you've been shot or are otherwise in critical condition it might make it more difficult to obtain routine treatment, and if your doctors work on staff there on a regular basis, it could mean frequent appointment cancellations while they take care of emergencies. I think a smaller city with one or more decent hospitals, fairly close to a large city with that type of facility would be preferable. If need be, you can always be transported via ambulance or medflight, in an emergency.

I love the idea of living in a small(er) town. It doesn't have to be tiny, but I moved here to escape the traffic congestion, hustle, and crime of Houston, yet it seems to have followed. It seems many of the larger cities are incorporating more and more of the suburban areas surrounding them, and those areas are now experiencing the problems typical to large urban areas. In the future, I'd like a larger buffer between where I live and whatever large city I'm closest to. I grew up in a college town and lived there off and on for about half of my life. Although students bring in spending money, they also bring their own particular set of problems, and I don't mind being near a smaller university, but would prefer to live among a mix of families, singles, and perhaps some students, without being inundated by one particular group.

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I prefer a small town as well, but do have to consider medical services. A much small population than where we are currently living. There are certain areas of the U.S. we absolutely will not live in. But, some of us don't have any kind of Pension, have to live off of SS and possibly a part-time job, so, some places are just not affordable.

7. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

I have heard that Asheville, North Carolina is a good place to retire. However, I have not researched the medical facilities available there. I agree, though. All of us will be old one day and will be facing a medical crisis of some type and good medical care needs to be something we heavily consider when relocating for retirement.

8. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

Well, living where your heart is to me is the best place to retire. I like Hawaii because the water's very clean. Weather is mostly moderate, but the summer could be cooler I love temps in the 70's. Hawaii has modern medicine for all people like Kaiser Permanente Hosp., Queen's Hosp. or Kuakini Hosp. or on the windward side there's Castle Memorial and Kaiser Hosp. There are 2 more hosp., Pali Momi and Kapiolani Women's Host. We have a Shriner's too. Now if only we cold get adult dental services for Medicaid it would be wonderful! Legislature adjourned without approving it! Boo hoo!

9. Frank Sanoica

Registered

Regard Medical Services in rural locations: In very rural Missouri, my Nephew's wife questioned me as to what would happen if I got the Big "H" living so far from help.

I replied, survive it or croak, either is acceptable in return for living where I was!

Frank

10. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Although I would never in my wildest dreams have imagined that I , an Idaho Girl born and raised, would end up here in Alabama; I have found that I have adapted rather well, and really like it here now.
    The Redstone Arsenal and also NASA headquarters are right here in Huntsville, so it is a very progressive city, and the hospitals and doctors are beyond excellent.
    Although we live in town, there are several outlying areas where a person could live in the country or a small town, and still be close enough to easily get into Huntsville when a person wanted to.
    We are close to the Tennessee River and there are lakes on all sides of us for swimming , boating and fishing.
    The weather IS hot and muggy in the summer; but that is just part of living in the South. I get up early in the morning and do any necessary yardwork before the heat of the day sets in.
    Overall, I am very content living here, and even though I still miss north Idaho, I would not want to go back there and have to deal with the cold and snow all winter long.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  11. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

That's also our idea - retiring in a small town, away from the crowd, from the crazy traffic. And again, you are right on the facilities particularly hospitals although small towns here have government health centers. Last year when we went to Batanes, that northernmost part of the Philippines, it was very refreshing even if the weather was warm because there were no crowds as if people is going out of fashion. The verdant hills with cattle everywhre, it's like being in the setting of Julie Andrews' The Sound of Music. And the bonus is the zero crime rate. It is rare for houses there to have a lock on their door.

But on the other hand, there is no modernity - no convenience store, no ATM, even the electricity is rationed. And since our circle is in Metro Manila, we would severing our connection if we retire in that place. But the thought still lingers and who knows if we would consider that someday. I still have 7 years to go before I retire.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  12. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Corie Henson Corie, have you thought about retiring away from the Philippines? Perhaps somewhere with a similar moderate climate, Central America, or, given similarity of U.S. influence to Philippines of Hawaii, one of the lesser populous areas there? My wife and I attended a company meeting in Hawaii in 1985, and during that time flew to Kawaii, much more sparsely populated, absolutely beautiful place! Frank

13. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

The Philippines has a retirement program for ex-pats and foreigners as well. For me, I cannot imagine myself living in another country. I am a traveler and has seen the beauty of other countries. In fact, I always marvel at the cleanliness and other positive things I see in other countries that made me realize that our country is the worst. However, my feet are rooted here, in this culture, in the people. Maybe I have to come to terms that there is no paradise on earth because anywhere you go, anywhere you stay, there are plus and minus.