For Those That Watch Tv

Discussion in 'Movies & Entertainment' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Lulu Moppet

Lulu Moppet Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, Ken, there is (was?) a fee to be paid for having a television. I remember vans driving around at night, sussing out those who had a tv but didn't purchase a license for it. Remember when HBO was new, and some folks would "steal" it? I remember vans going around seeking out those rascals.

Could some Brit please help Ken more than I could?

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I had never heard of having to have a license to own a television.

3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

yep we have to buy an annual licence to watch TV...off the top of my head it's about £145 .... believe it or not , it's an imprisonable offence to watch Tv without a licence, and there are many people who've been jailed for it.

Mug someone in the street , or beat up an old lady and you have less chance of going to prison than watching tv without a licence... :mad:

ETA, you don't need a licence to own a TV....but don't you dare switch it on and watch it without the licence.

The vans that used to come around were called TV licence detector vans, I haven't seen one in ages.. so I have no idea how they catch people these days, but catch them they do...

Incidentally the UK is not the only country in the world with a tv licence fee...

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

No license required here, although we do have to pay the cable company if we want cable. When I bought a house in Los Fresnos, of course the previous owner had moved everything out of it before I moved in. After I was there for about six months, someone came by from the cable company telling me that I owed for seven months of cable.

Cable? I didn't even have a television because I was working four jobs and was rarely home. Yes, he pointed to a cable on the outside of the house and said that cable had been hooked up and the bill hadn't been paid in months, which began about a month before I moved in. I tried to explain to him that one of several cables hanging down the outside of my house is not the same thing as having cable, that I had never ordered cable, that I had never used cable, and that I damned well wasn't going to pay them because they didn't disconnect the cable when their last customer moved. I told him I ought to charge them rent for their cable.

He still insisted that I owed them a few hundred dollars for cable. I had to call the cable company and talk to a supervisor before I could straighten it out.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  5. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh yes we have to pay for satellite channels on top of the tv licence, I think our is currently about £500 per year.

I know exactly what you mean about fighting the cable people when you have no tv even... I've had similar battles in the past with those who insist I owe something or using something and I'm not