For Our Guests

Discussion in 'Comments on Forum' started by Hedi Mitchell, Feb 20, 2022.

1. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Why are you on here? Why do you only look but make no comment? if you keep coming back, why do you not join? We are friendly creatures- well most of the time:rolleyes:. Some of you join, then never come back. Why is that?
    You must enjoy something on here or you would not keep coming back. We just might welcome another view on things, if your willing to give it try.
    I can not help but wonder if your up to no good and that is why, just reading the forum versus participating is your Thing? I know many are form Facebook and Twitter because my tracker tells me so :D.
    you could be a part of this friendly - ok most of the time:rolleyes: - loving, caring on line family.
    Think I will just sit back and see if anybody even bothers to respond to this thread for Guests :)

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, Hedi, your post/thread has been brought up before, with basically the same answer: There are those, like my wife, that totally dislike confrontation. They could be afraid that any kind of post they might do, would be seen as negative and get negative reactions.

Same thing goes on Facebook. My BIL (wife's brother) got on Facebook and didn't post a thing. Then, there are those that go on Facebook and I've had to "Unfriend" because of language used. Guess Facebook isn't monitored that much.

Then, there are those that will take a look at a forum, because they don't have to join to read posts, only to post/reply.

But, Hedi, just because someone doesn't want to join a forum, only look at posts, doesn't necessarily mean they are up to no good.

Now, do I think there are those that will see your thread and join..........extremely doubtful!

3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Cody is a stick in the mud so do have hope that your entreaties go rewarded many times over.

Now, why some folks do not join I’m not sure but the possibility that the Never Ending Saga of the SeniorsOnly Club may be a good read kinda like the old Reader’s Digest or something along that line and responding might throw too many twists in the stories.
    Or…maybe there are people who would read everything but are afraid that they might have to commit to x number of hours a day should they join or maybe they think that they’ll somehow have their lives stolen by some secret Gremlin we keep on leash at Ken’s house.

I mean, it’s not that we do not have Gremlins but they’ve been harmless thus far and they’re not even kept at Ken’s. Cats do not like Gremlins.

Lois Winters likes this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

You know, Bobby, I really don't know who is worse in taking a joke or knowing the real truth about things.........you or Beth.
    I'm not a "stick in the mud" and you should know why people look and don't join. Just like why some members of SOC have left and never returned.

5. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Are you feeling tired? Listless? Bored? Lonely?

Has your get up and go got up and went? Is the most excitement in your life watching Granny darn Grandpa’s socks? Have your hemorrhoids flared up? Do you have bad breath? Athlete’s foot? Ladies, is your love life so desperate that you wrote your phone number on the wall in the men’s restroom? Men, have you considered calling a dating service?

Well, my friends, you have come to the right place! Yes, sir, I’m telling you we have the cure for all your troubles! Right here on this board! All you have to do is join. And, for an unlimited time, it’s totally free! Join now and give us just a few minutes a day and all your troubles will vanish! Men, you will have a body that men will respect and women will admire. Women, other women will be jealous of your looks and intelligence. But hurry, remember this offer is only good for an unlimited time! Join now!
    It's absolutely free!

Not real sure about your love life, though. That might be beyond hope. :p

Rebroadcast as a public service.

6. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

The problem with guests not sticking around in my opinion is that comments are being tacked onto old posts that are years old instead of starting new threads.. A newcomer gets the impression that the place is dead when they see a 2016 date.

Von Jones, Faye Fox and Teresa Levitt like this.
  7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I don't get that since the index page of the site shows the latest post, along with the date. Clicking into "New Posts," the most recent ones will appear at the top, along with the date and time. Clicking into the category, the forums show the date that the thread was created, but it also shows the dates or times of the last messages. It also shows how many pages of posts there are in a thread, and it's easy enough to click on the last page if the most recent posts are the only ones you're interested in. When they see a 2016 date, they know that the forum wasn't created yesterday.

Von Jones and Bobby Cole like this.
  8. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

[​IMG]

9. John Brunner

@Hedi Mitchell There may be lots of reasons why folks don't join.

Maybe they just like browsing.
    Maybe they don't trust the process of giving away their personal data in order to sign up.
    Maybe they got tattoos (or funny colored hair or nose rings) and know they will get negative reactions.

10. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Omg you people- none of you are Guests. I was merely trying to get a buzz from outsiders. Sigh.. yal'll have at it..I am moving on down da the road.

11. John Brunner

Uh, Guests cannot respond. How long were you gonna wait?

Ed Wilson, Faye Fox and Yvonne Smith like this.
  12. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

As long as it takes :D

Shirley Martin and John Brunner like this.
  13. John Brunner

:D

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  14. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

If one takes a look at the threads and there’s a bunch of views then we can safety say that the search engines are doing their job.
    If we have a thread called “widgets” then anyone Googling widgets will come up with SoC and the widget thread. Now, if said searcher comes to SoC to read the widget thread they are counted as a guest.

How many times have we all looked for something specific on the net and it took us to a forum? A forum that answered our question without actually having to join said forum.

15. John Brunner

Does search engine activity really show up as a "View"? Do they really "open threads" and scan them, or are they merely combing through the database behind the scenes?

Lois Winters and Bobby Cole like this.