Football Hooligans At Euro 2016

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Julie Stewart, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Julie Stewart

Julie Stewart Veteran Member
    Registered

As usual a few idiots they are spoiling this competition for the thousands of genuine fans who just want to enjoy a sport they love.

I favour rugby over football if I had to choose - but football is important to me. It was something my dad and I shared when I was a child and into my teens. My brothers weren't so much into it and dad and I would go to Old Trafford for every home game together and we even had tickets for Wembley in 1968 when Manchester United beat Benfica 4 - 1 in the final of the European Cup as it was then called.

The hatred among fans today makes no sense - it seems to be the English and Russian fans who are the worse. They start drinking beer at breakfast which doesn't help. And now many bars who were looking forward to EURO 2016 as being good for their businesses have simply closed.

I hope that FIFA bans the teams of the offending fans - at the moment it seems to be an empty threat. They might also have to reconsider the football World Cup 2018 host - Russia.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

So agree with you Julie - the only way to make them see sense is to ban them
    I hope they are sending them home right now !

Julie Stewart likes this.
  3. Gary Ridenour

Gary Ridenour Veteran Member
    Registered

[​IMG]

we've come a long way on football here. especially safety

4. Julie Stewart

Registered

@Patsy Faye - some Russian fans have been jailed, the leader of a group who train Russian fans to be violent has been sent home. But I think Russian hooligans are going to cause mayhem and possibly murder in 2018 once those idiotic factions that call themselves "fans" arrive from the UK and other countries.

@Gary Ridenour - that's a great photo, I don't follow American football but I have seen some matches and the players really are wearing armour. When I talk about football it's what you call "soccer" over there ... I also spell differently "armour" "colour" "aluminium" .... viva la différence, if we were all the same what would we have to chat about?

Gary Ridenour likes this.
  5. Gary Ridenour

Registered

I think it was George Bernard Shaw who said England and America are two countries separated by a common language if your English .:)

6. Julie Stewart

Registered

@Gary Ridenour - Once, when in the States, I went to the desk of of the hotel and asked for a "rubber" - it was eventually translated to "eraser"

Gary Ridenour and Ken Anderson like this.
  7. Gary Ridenour

Registered

bet you got some very strange looks :)

8. Julie Stewart

Registered

I got some very strange offers ! ! ! !

Gary Ridenour likes this.