Food Sins & Confessions

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Arlene Richards, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Arlene Richards

Arlene Richards Veteran Member
    Registered

:DOkay, I know it’s not healthy, but this is the thread to safely confess your food sins.

Little Debbie snacks – I like stick donuts, oatmeal crème pies, (Come on, you know Debbie. She maintains a presence in all convenience stores.)

Little bags of Fritos or potato chips - I sometimes grab a few of these to deter me later from ordering a pizza or buying a large bag of snacks.

Chocoholics will find this hard to fathom. I like chocolate, but I can go for long periods without having it. I rarely eat a whole candy bar – usually only half, then save the rest. Sometimes I have half a small bag of M&M peanuts and a Cadbury chocolate caramel egg (mmm) in a zip loc bag in the freezer and for weeks won’t touch it. Then, when a chocolate craving strikes (usually late at night), I’ll go for it.

Karen McKenzie likes this.
  2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

The buffet-style dinners are my own undoing. I convinced my wife that one need not "pig-out" at these affairs, but rarely have I followed my own advice! Early on, we joked that they want you to over-eat, that's why it's "all you can eat". Wonder why almost half of us are obese?

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  3. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

For those who still do not know, I had kidney stones twice and this is the third time I am nurturing that ailment. I just can't seem to quit on salt and salty foods. The urologist had told me time and again to stay away from chips especially with the dip for it can aggravate my kidney stones. But the worst enemy is the fish sauce which flavors my meals most of the time. My husband had surrendered in reminding me whenever he would see me with a saucer of fish sauce during meals. His motto in life is to enjoy whatever life has to offer. And the drawback is I cannot complain to him when I feel pains in my lower back.

That's not to mention the issue of my being overweight.

4. Arlene Richards

Registered

@Corie Henson ooohhh my. :( I had kidney stones a few years ago. Fortunately no restrictions on eating or drinking.

5. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

@Corie Henson , I read a tip recently and it works. Don't use salt when cooking but instead sprinkle a little salt on top after cooking while it's on your plate. Your tastebuds will taste that first and will stay with you. Otherwise it gets hidden in the food and you need to use a lot more to get the flavor.

I use Fine Sea Salt on top of my food as needed and barely sprinkle it. Also, as we all know by now, processed foods use an enormous amount of salt and it gets hidden inside the food.

My sin is sugar. I just can't buy it with the idea "I'll just have a little at a time"…I'm so addicted to it that I'll eat the whole thing within a day. I don't eat bread and flour items anymore and don't miss them which surprises me because I was so addicted once to baked goods. But every now and then I yearn for something sweet so that's my greatest downfall. It takes me 3 days of abstinence to lose the craving after I've indulged. My last indulgence was chocolate covered hard toffee dipped in salty nuts :rolleyes:

Linda Binning and Corie Henson like this.
  6. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

@Lara Moss, thanks for the tip about salt. But we rarely use salt in cooking. What we normally use is the traditional Chinese liquid called fish sauce. It is the standard flavoring in Filipino kitchen. And the doctor said that it is wreaking havoc on my kidney. And I agree that processed food has a lot of salt particularly the native pork sausage we have here and the cured beef called tapa. I'll take note of that fine sea salt. Maybe it is available in the supermarket (I'm shopping on Sunday).

If sugar is your problem, I guess you are suffering more than me. At least I can eat sweets like ice cream and my favorite chocolate cake. Gee, that makes me crave, hahahaaah.

Linda Binning likes this.
  7. Linda Binning

Linda Binning Veteran Member
    Registered

Arlene mentioning Little Debbies makes me remember, several years ago, for about 2 years straight every Friday evening my husband and I would go visit our friend down the street and have coffee and those white coconut Little Debbie cakes. They had too much sugar in them and were a bit too sweet but it didn't stop us from eating them. :) I still see them in the stores and every time I do I think of my friend who died about 20 years ago.

I like caramel covered popcorn and nuts and often have some on hand. My husband is pretty good about staying away from that. He is a diabetic so when I buy cookies I hide them. Over a week ago I hid a box of shortbread type cookies covered in chocolate. It was a red and white box and I can remember sliding it behind or under something. I have looked and looked and can't find them. :( I'm afraid if I don't find them soon they will mold or rot or do whatever old cookies do. I am ashamed to say a cookie has never gotten old in this house so I don't know what happens when they age.

8. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

Gosh I love this thread...here goes...chips, but I buy the less salt ones...frozen pizza that I doctor up with much more pepperoni and string cheese, but I do use string cheese...Walker's shortbread cookies and they are on sale this week the 4.2 oz for 2/$7 and I'm getting them soon...NutterButter cookies, but the sugar is only 7 MG. I'm going to stop right here for now.:D

Linda Binning likes this.
  9. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Just like Krissttina, chips and I also buy the lower salt ones or even unsalted. I can eat a 5 serving bag in one day.

Cupcakes, just the icing. Icing, I just remembered I bought a can of icing once with no intention of making a cake.

Just ate it with a spoon.

I also love the zebra caramel popcorn, the one with the white chocolate and caramel drizzle.

Ruby Begonia and Linda Binning like this.
  10. Arlene Richards

Registered

@Chrissy Page I'm with you re: icing. I do like iced cupcakes, though. But sometimes I eat the icing off first. I love the sugary white icing - the type on birthday and wedding cakes.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  11. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

Mu!tigrain tortilla chips, too much cheese, pasta, potatoes, bread. I have type 2 diabetes and these things are "sins" for me.

I like sweet too, but I can live without it. I take insulin when I need to cheat with the savory, salty carbs I adore. Convenience snack cakes, icing don't even tempt me, ugh. Homemade brownies with a little ice cream, oh yeah!

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  12. Karen McKenzie

Karen McKenzie Veteran Member
    Registered

I do have a sweet tooth. I love peach cobbler and strawberry shortcake. I dip strawberries in powdered sugar for a decadent snack. I make my shortcake with Bisquick..during Easter I love love jelly beans and Cadbury's mini eggs.:)

Chrissy Cross and Ruby Begonia like this.
  13. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

I kicked the sugar habit years ago and resent the amount of sugar that seems to be added to everything including savoury crackers. I guess cheese is my big weakness and crisps (chips in the US?) together especially ;)
    upload_2016-3-3_9-31-57.png upload_2016-3-3_9-34-16.png

Attached Files:

14. Arlene Richards

Registered

I bought some Cadbury caramel filled chocolate eggs today. Darn it, I blame whoever started this thread! :mad:

Oh. :oops: That would be me. Never mind.

15. Arlene Richards

Registered

@Terry Page yeah, those crisps are definitely potato chips here in US.