Food Finds, Good And Bad

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Beth Gallagher, Jan 23, 2023.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Can you post instructions?

2. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Basically you peel a goodly amount of garlic cloves and put in a clean jar, cover with RAW honey with about 1-2 inches of head space, and leave sit for about two months. For the first month, you need to burp the jar as pressure builds up. I also turned the jar over every 12 hours to make sure all cloves got covered well. I needed to wipe the mouth and rim of the jar with a damp paper towel to keep the rim from sticking. I tried eating the garlic at about a month.
    YUK
    But at 2 1/2 months it was better and now it tastes good. The honey gets thin over time and you can use it in sauces etc.

John Brunner likes this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Thanks! That sounds like a good amount of honey. And you use it strictly for medicinal purposes? Has anyone voiced concerns over botulism from the garlic being sealed off from air, or would the honey mitigate that risk? I know that submerging garlic in oil is "iffy."

Mary Stetler likes this.
  4. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Raw honey with all it's enzymes must keep problems from happening. It is not 'sealed' as in canned, only fermented.
    The garlic flavored honey tastes amazing but I am on a basically sugar free diet. So medicinal it is.

John Brunner likes this.