Food Finds, Good And Bad

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Beth Gallagher, Jan 23, 2023.

1. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

My 'go to' cake has 5 eggs in it. Have not gone to it lately.:(

Yvonne Smith and Beth Gallagher like this.
  2. Mary Stetler

Registered

I used to get Aldi's cream soups, as good as Campbells. But they changed the recipe and put in some palm oil, or something and it tasted less than good. Later, I got Campbells and their recipe tasted the same. So I skipped cream soups for quite a while.
    I just picked up some aldi soup to try and the recipe is back, as was Campbells. It did not taste like palm oil. The price is higher.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2023
    Beth Gallagher likes this.
  3. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Do you use cake flour or all purpose? I use cake flour for the majority of my cakes, and I always sift my cake flour. I know cake flour is supposed to be already pre-sifted but I find it to keep the cakes lighter.

Faye Fox likes this.
  4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I usually use cake flour and I always sift my dry ingredients together. For this particular recipe the author stressed that all-purpose flour was what she uses so I made it exactly by her recipe. I always follow a recipe when I make something for the first time, then make adjustments with later attempts. This particular recipe has already been trashed. :D

5. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

The sponge I make is mainly cornflour with only a heaped teaspoon of plain flour

6. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Thanks for the recommendation, @John Brunner . This stuff wasn't half bad.

[​IMG]

Kate Ellery and John Brunner like this.
  7. John West

John West Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Not being into fixing breakfast, these aren't too bad and seem better than most.

[​IMG]

8. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I received my February Kroger coupons and there's one in there for $1.25 off of any variety of this soup...large size. It's on my list. There's also a $1.50 coupon for Boursin cheese spread:

[​IMG]
    These are very good. My favorite is garlic & herbs. I first encountered this years ago under the Rondelé label.

[​IMG]

John West and Yvonne Smith like this.
  9. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Hum never seen those before. I do like Laughing Cow Herb and Garlic chesses

John Brunner likes this.
  10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I've never been a big fan of soft cheese or cheese spread for some reason. I do like a bit of cream cheese on a bagel or a pimento cheese sandwich, but that's about it.

11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I think I have posted this elsewhere, but I'll put it here. I bought a jar of this Saucy Cajun sauce to try and ended up using it to cook a pork roast in the crock pot. I sliced an onion into the bottom of the pot, added the roast with salt and pepper, then poured this over it and cooked a few hours on low. It turned out so good that I have made it a couple of more times and bought a few jars of this to stock the pantry. It makes a flavorful gravy/sauce to serve over rice or mashed potatoes. This is supposed to be a pasta sauce but I haven't even tried it for that. :p

upload_2023-2-4_11-31-59.png

Since it is an HEB store brand product, I'm not sure if something similar is available in other stores.

John Brunner likes this.
  12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

In my last grocery order, there was a "buy this, get that free" offer. I don't even recall what I was buying to get the freebie, but I usually take the free stuff just because it's free. The free product was Simply Potatoes Mashed Potatoes, already prepared and in the refrigerator section. In all my adult life I have never purchased pre-made mashed potatoes like these. I keep a box of instant flakes in the pantry for "potato emergencies" but these were my first prepared ones.

upload_2023-2-9_15-44-17.png

I decided to use them today and they just had to be reheated so I opted to microwave them. I put them in a covered casserole dish and added a splash or two of cream just to help loosen then up. I have to say, they weren't bad at all. They were creamy and with a nice flavor and texture. I checked the regular price online and they cost $3.89 for 24 oz, which would be ~5 half-cup servings. Seems a little pricey but then, what doesn't these days. I suppose for an occasional convenience they would be worth it.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2023
    John Brunner and Yvonne Smith like this.
  13. John Brunner

They got flavors:

Potatoes pre-made.jpg

I won't be crass enough to list the ingredients or nutritional info...I've eaten worse.

14. John Brunner

...and speaking of eating worse...

I went to Kroger today and had coupons for the Boursin cheese and the Thai Curry soup.

eta: I bought some scrapple.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2023
  15. Mary Stetler

Registered

Not sure if this is the place to revisit my honey fermented garlic. But after a couple of month sitting, they were no longer disgusting. They are pleasant tasting and the honey can give a good flavor to sauces or salad dressings.
    Turns out, they are actually medicinal. I had a productive cough that lasted waaaayyy too long. A few cloves of garlic a day helped send it down the road.