Food Finds, Good And Bad

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Beth Gallagher, Jan 23, 2023.

1. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

My friend makes her own, but she keeps it in the closet to ferment.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  2. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Famous Daves jalapeno cornbread.
    s-l500.jpg

Yvonne Smith and Beth Gallagher like this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Faye Fox likes this.
  4. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

It is a big yes for me, but maybe not for spicey sissies. :D

Mary Stetler and Beth Gallagher like this.
  5. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I have used this for years. Be careful of the brand. Make sure it is from Spain and pimenton picante. Some brands are too heavily smoked. This is the best one I have found. I use it on almost everything including brownies. It isn't like Hungarian paprika or any other hot pepper. This brand is very pleasant.
    OIP.jpg

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  6. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

We was listening to a food expert from CSIRO (Commonwealth Scientific Industrial Research Organisation)

on the radio while traveling to Adelaide last week .
    He was talking about foods in general they purchased a beef burger from maccas and analysed each and every bit of the burger and found in excess of 50% fat and as far as the Beef patty went they couldn’t determine what sort of meat it was :eek: but it didn’t show up as beef:eek:
    They didn’t find one ounce of nutritional value in any of the ingredients of the burger .:eek:

he went to to talk about the popular vegan veggie burgers sold in supermarkets to take home to cook yourself .
    They found they were in excess of 60% solid fat ….. ( we are talking about meat free products ) and to give them the brownish look they were sprayed with a colourant :eek: again they couldn’t identify allot of the ingredients in the veggie burgers ….

No wonder I like cooking my own food from scratch …and steer well away from packaged foods.

My ideas are stay well away from packaged / processed foods

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
  7. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I kept reading about some stuff from Trader Joe's called "Everything But The Bagel" seasoning that people were going nuts over. I finally bought some and wondered once again if I have mutant taste buds because it is definitely NOT worth a trip to the store. I'll never buy that cr... er, "stuff" again. Another food trend. :rolleyes:

upload_2023-1-26_17-31-23.png

Ingredients

• SESAME SEEDS
    • SEA SALT FLAKES
    • DRIED MINCED GARLIC
    • DRIED MINCED ONION
    • BLACK SESAME SEEDS
    • POPPY SEEDS

Kate Ellery likes this.
  8. Kate Ellery

Registered

When I make beef Pattie’s as Aussies call meat rissoles :) I use minced beef from Costco it’s half the price of premium beef mince in other supermarkets and it tastes like the beef mince of years ago not a mixture of anything that’s on the table to be minced like other supermarket products taste like to me .

The only issue with buying from Costco is that it comes in packs of on average 3-4 kg and at $10 a kg ( $20+ a kg in coles / WW) it costs you around the $35 ~ $40 but it lasts me 6 months most times I buy it
    When I make meat Pattie’s I always use a mix of fresh bread mixed in a kitchen wiz with fresh onion ..fresh mint and parsley from my garden, salt and pepper and maybe a little bit of garlic I buy in a jar it’s all mixed together with meat with an added egg it’s so tasty ….

.I don’t buy many packaged foods as previously mentioned cause they are mostly salt based @Beth Gallagher so we are mostly paying for very expensive salt in buying seasonings I also use allot of rosemary when cooking lamb ( roast ) which will be to nights tea ..(evening meal) with all freshly cooked veggies including pumpkin that’s freshly grown in-my own garden.

Take a look on-the label of your shake Beth :) they say that’s the clue to shopping look for the ingredient closest to the top in the list ..it’s salt ..

9. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We don't eat a lot of lamb in the states, Kate, although I do like the occasional broiled chops. Are yours native, or do they come from New Zealand?

This is why I do most of my own spice blends. Not only do I not end up paying $15/pound ($40AUD/kilo) for salt (which I highly resent), I use the spices I've already paid for.

Kate Ellery likes this.
  10. Kate Ellery

Registered

We have Aussie lamb @John Brunner mostly Merino sheep
    are breed for wool and meat .

It was very contentious Australia Day in Aust yesterday …… which our indigenous and many others want banned as the my see it as Invasion day besides that allot of Aussies have lamb chops on the bbq on Aust Day .
    I’ve gotta agree with your regarding spices John paying a very high price for salt …

Copied

Australia Day is the official national day of Australia. Observed annually on 26 January, it marks the 1788 landing of the First Fleet at Sydney Cove and raising of the Union Flag by Arthur Phillip following days of exploration of Port Jackson in New South Wales.Wikipedia

John Brunner likes this.
  11. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I'm familiar with merino wool. Regarding that holiday...people need to get a grip. I'm almost as sick of the marginally informed deciding what we can and cannot celebrate as I am the politicians who cave.

Kate Ellery likes this.
  12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Honestly I have no interest in mixing up spice blends. People had been raving about the "Everything But the Bagel" so I tried it. Kind of the point of this thread, talking about food hits or misses. :D

As for cooking and baking from scratch, that's what I mostly do. But not always.

13. Kate Ellery

Registered

I’m guilty of buying a hot chicken from Costco or Woolworths prob once a fortnight @Beth Gallagher
    You don’t have to mix up spices just pick and use as needed.
    Most herbs can be grown in pots mine are all in pots fairly close to my back door

Faye Fox and Beth Gallagher like this.
  14. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Speaking of food misses, I wanted to find a different recipe for an easy white cake. Seems like my "go to" recipe is kind of dry and I can't figure out why. I found a simple recipe for a small (9" square pan) cake and tried it this evening. :confused: It was made with vegetable oil and sour cream instead of butter, and the reviews are very good... except for one that I took note of.

The reviewer said that her teenage son pronounced the cake "like cornbread," and that kid is on-point. Weirdest textured cake I've ever made. So I wasted all those ingredients, plus butter, powdered sugar, cream, and TIME to make buttercream frosting. :mad:

Hedi Mitchell and Faye Fox like this.
  15. Kate Ellery

Registered

The only cake I’ve ever made that’s whitish / off while is a simple sponge cake and I think it must depend on how yellow the egg yolks are you are using how white it actually turns out , I’ve made the same cake for many more years than I care to remember and still make the same for hubbies birthday each year ( I used to make all the kids B’ cakes from same recipe)

it was the pretty quick to make up if someone was coming for a visit despite having to whip the whites before adding to cake lastly.

Beth Gallagher and Faye Fox like this.