Following Someone, How Does It Work ?

Discussion in 'Help Requests' started by Yvonne Smith, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Ina just asked me about following me, and when I explained, it turns out that she is already doing that. I also follow her; but I still have to look at her profile page to see what threads she is posting on if I want to be sure not to miss her posts.
    Is there something that we are not doing right ? What exactly does following mean, and how does it help to follow someone ?

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Whichever forum member you want to follow, you will click into their profile. From the little box that pops up, choose "Follow" and that's it.

[​IMG]

3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Thank you, @Ken Anderson ; but that is not what I was trying to ask. Ina and I are already following each other; but it does not seem to DO anything.
    What I would like to know is what is the PURPOSE of following someone, and what are the BENEFITS of doing so. Aside from showing me that Ina is online (which I can already tell) I can't see where it does anything else.
    There are no alerts to tell me if she posts something, or anything else that I can see.
    Am I missing something here, or does it actually make a difference whether you follow someone or not ?

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Oh, I see. As far as I know, not much. You can view a news feed that is a page that lists all activity of the people you are following. Beyond that, I don't know.

If you click into your own profile, you'll see a link to "People You Follow" and from there, you will see a link to "Your News Feed" in the left-side menu. I guess it's nice to know that someone is following you, though.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
    Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Yeah....sometimes!;)
    [​IMG]

Nancy Hart likes this.