Folks Affected By Firearms

Discussion in 'Guns & Weapons' started by Frank Sanoica, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

I live alone now and my situation is different. However, when my two youngest kids were very challenging teens and I was menopausal, a gun in my house could've possibly been a recipe for me ending up with a prison sentence. :D

2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson "If the SHTF, the first and most dangerous enemy of the people will the members of the local police department, followed by whatever remnants of government remain. I don't want them to be the only ones who are armed."

There are indeed already countries, though I cannot name them with certainty, Japan is perhaps one, where the only people able to take action armed with firearms are those in charge of running the country. As a young man I seriously considered a move to Australia, which was offering generous compensation to technically-degreed folks to move there and work there. Considered that is, until I learned my guns must remain elsewhere. I thought: Australia, of all places? With such broad expanse of desolation and low population density? Hard to imagine it disarmed.

Sorry, @Craig Swanson

Frank

3. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Aren't Aussies allowed to have guns if they need them for defense against dangerous animals?

Bess Barber and Frank Sanoica like this.
  4. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Shirley Martin
    I believe you are right. But the laws are written in such a convoluted way that they give the "issuer" of permitting arbitrary ability to deny possession in many cases. This was done early-on in some states which decided to allow "concealed carry". The law read, ".......(the authority) may issue such permit after.......blah, blah.....". May issue allows denial of the application arbitrarily (like for Blacks, for which some feel it was intended). Much protest resulted in wording which states, ".....will issue such permit........". The VERY BEST are worded, ".....must issue....".

On one of my other forums long ago, discussion about Americans' guns was going on, and a farmer's wife, in Australia, wrote of how very fortunate we are here to be able to use firearms for personal protection. Their location was so remote they felt insecure, but could not possess guns. So, don't know the answer to your question.

@Craig Swanson ?

Frank

5. Bob Kirk

Bob Kirk Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't think you are rude and yes this was a misunderstanding on my part. In my post #39 I wrote this

"
    "Explaining that your post was a statement I understand now you don't feel comfortable having a gun around the house."

Bob Kirk, Yesterday at 7:49 AM

6. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

Bobby Cole likes this.
  7. Rosie Sinclair

Rosie Sinclair Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I accept the fact that some people will hunt and kill for food, so long as you select your prey carefully, (no mothers with young, or alpha males). It is also necessary to keep the numbers under control. However, I cannot accept humans going out hunting for the sheer pleasure of killing. I think that is totally barbaric and cannot be justified.

It just illustrates how modern man is still basically a savage. The instinct to kill is still very strong, even when there is no reason for it.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  8. Peter Renfro

Registered

I hunt for the table and most of my friends and family do also. I don't think anyone does it for the sheer pleasure of killing.

Bess Barber and Frank Sanoica like this.
  9. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Peter Renfro
    Certainly not anyone I am acquainted with, but I am certain after hearing the ridiculously vicious and savage remarks of some guys, they do indeed kill for pleasure.
    Frank

Don Alaska likes this.
  10. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

For lots of people, hunting is indeed considered a fun sport. Being from the rural south, I grew up in a society that had a jubilee when hunting season started. Women married to men who hunted are called Hunter Widows because their guy is gone a lot during the season. Sometimes families go in groups and camp in the woods to avoid being a part so much. It's just a way of life misunderstood by people who didn't grow up in that culture.

images - 2019-08-20T162122.195.jpeg

11. Peter Renfro

Registered

Opening day of deer season and trout season are practically school holidays here. School treats absences those two days as no harm no foul!

And yes, hunting is a fun sport,Our family Thanksgiving is centered around hunting. Us guys and a couple of the girls, six to ten of us depending on the year go out daylight Thanksgiving morning. We are back by 4 to eat.
    Next day is spent skinning and cutting.
    The fun is in the fellowship, the tradition, being part of what nature intended.I
    We take no joy in the killing,except to appreciate and admire the skill of a good shot. The rest is messy gory,and kind of disgusting.
    After all that, we have MEAT

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    Don Alaska and Frank Sanoica like this.
  12. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Peter Renfro
    Some are committed to the dictum "Meat is Murder", displaying that proudly on their rear bumpers. Living in rural Missouri, I taught high school math one year; the young men amazed me with their interest in deer hunting and firearms in general. And I amazed them with my knowledge of firearms, being a "city-boy" grown up in Chicago. Deer season opened just before Thanksgiving. The school might just as well have closed then!
    Frank

Don Alaska likes this.
  13. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Yes, hunting is an important pastime for some people but, at the same time, it's not so much about the killing as about everything that goes with it - a reason for being out in the woods, demonstrating skills, camaraderie, and so on. Plus, there is the meat, which is not generally something that can be bought in the store. Between my father and my brothers, those who hunted, we had venison in the freezer pretty much year-round.

Frank Sanoica and Don Alaska like this.
  14. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I used to hunt, and might still if I hasn't broken my back. My sons who still live in Alaska go hunting, but the regs and seasons here are so complicated that occasionally even the fish and game guys get caught hunting out of season, as, unless you carry a GPS, it is very easy to cross from one hunting season to another that has closed or not opened yet. The regulations in many cases are written for the tourist-hunters from outside Alaska, but there are some seasons that are opened for Alaska residents only. My youngest son called me last night to find out if he could learn to reload some ammo for his .338, as he plans to go moose and bear hunting in the coming weeks. One of his friend's families has a cabin in the wilderness, and I think he is planning to go there. Hunting is a family outing for two of the sons, but the youngest has a child born in June, so I doubt he will take him hunting this year...maybe next year;).

I remember growing up in Pennsylvania where deer hunting season (with rifles) opened on the same date state-wide. I don't know if that is still the case, as my brother who still lives there doesn't hunt and never has.

15. Peter Renfro

Registered

Hope this isn't veering to much? When I was a kid we had a bluetick and my uncle in the farmhouse had a couple of Redbones. Late July through August when the corn was forming, we would hunt coon. I'm sure there was probably some flask passing goin on. I was quite young at the time, but the social drinking was common. We would climb into the backs of a couple of pick up trucks, go down on the creek bed just at dark and get us a good fire going. Some one would get the dogs going in the corn. They would pick up a trail and oh wow, sound straight out of heaven. Sport our Bluetick had a sweet sweet howl on trail switching over to a high pitched yipping when the coon treed.
    We all would run through the woods corn or creek to catch up.
    What memories!

The origin of the phrase, "Naught to do but pizz on th far an call in the dawgs!"