Flowers Are Blooming, Summer Is Here!

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Yvonne Smith, May 24, 2016.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We have lilies starting to bloom now, and the amaryllis in the front yard finally opened up both of its buds this morning. It was planted last year, and overwintered. I like to get them after the Christmas season when they are on closeout, and then after they bloom, I can save them and plant them outside and they will continue to blossom every year, and sometimes twice a year after that.
    The bad part is that we have moved a lot, and when it was a time of year that the bulbs weren't showing up, I could never find those kinds of plants to move them, and then I had to start over again at the new place.
    The blackberries have a few berriess on them this year; and the plants are starting to spread. Hopefully, we will have even more blackberries next year.
    The blueberries didn't even blossom yet, and it seems like they should have done that by now, but again, the bushes are growing, so that is a plus.
    The poor little rhubarb gave up again, and i think that it is just done for. I would have gotten one and kept it in a pot; but Lowes didnn't have either rhubarb or raspberries when we went there today.
    There are a few peaches on the peach trees, and it looked like lemons starting on the lemon tree.
    The fig tree is putting out new leaves and growing like crazy; so this year it should be able to winter outside, hopefully.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  2. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Went outside this morning with my camera and found all kinds of goodies blooming. :)
    IMG_2828.JPG IMG_2846.JPG IMG_2830.JPG IMG_2835.JPG IMG_2831.JPG

3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Very pretty!

4. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

Those are so luscious looking! In what state do you live? In my area of Texas, i don't think that i could raise those particular flowers even in the shade. You are so fortunate! Such beautiful colors.

5. Yvonne Smith

Last year, I got some lily bulbs, and finally planted them this spring, and now they are starting to blossom. They are a gorgeous color and really large.
    Hoping to divide them this fall and be able to start a few more in different places. I had this tire garden area open this spring, so I just put all o f the lily bulbs in there to see if they would still grow.

F177778F-D7D9-43EC-AA2D-6919E9751D1C.jpeg

Bobby Cole and Von Jones like this.
  6. Yvonne Smith

We have Morning Glory’s growing over the archway by the front sidewalk, and they are really starting to bloom now. I am hoping for a Moonflower; but not sure it is going to bloom this year.

68263B8E-3EFA-4803-86BC-3F7A3CD21AC6.jpeg

Hedi Mitchell and Bobby Cole like this.
  7. Yvonne Smith

We have a few okra plants, and they have started to bloom and bear okra. Here is a picture of one of the blossoms, they are just such beautiful blooms ! You can see the tiny little okra just below the blossom, and it will be large enough to pick very shortly.
    The cicadas have pretty well stripped our tomato plants, and any tomatoes that get even a little red color, the birds are eating; so I am picking our tomatoes while they are still green this year. I love fried green tomatoes, and I can get ripe ones at the store or farmers market , so having the green ones works fine for me.

5E83CBA1-7805-47B5-9C96-35F81F99C1D7.jpeg

Nancy Hart likes this.
  8. Yvonne Smith

I think that i found a Moonflower bud, so I am hoping that we will have Moonflowers again this year. I will go out this evening and see if the bud is opening. They come out so late in the day that it can be hard to get a good picture of the blossom.

73819C04-A9EB-4F23-A66A-CCF4DA426C95.jpeg

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  9. Yvonne Smith

The Moonflower bud opened overnight. It is too high on the archway for me to get a good picture, but here it is, and hopefully, there will be more blooms.

E40BBBC9-0520-46DB-A1C6-518DE81A1067.jpeg

10. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I spent the morning planting mums in the backyard. I was able to get some pretty yellow mums delivered with my grocery order.

Yvonne Smith likes this.