Florida Girl Killed By Jumping Sturgeon

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Diane Lane, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

2. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

This is new knowledge to me I have seen the jumping fish on tv, sorry for the family.

Diane Lane likes this.
  3. Diane Lane

Registered

I see tons of jumping fish here, but they're just small mullet or redfish usually, definitely not close to the size of that fish.

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I didn't know they had sturgeon in Florida, but we had them in Michigan, more common then than they are now, I understand, and they are huge.

Diane Lane likes this.
  5. Diane Lane

Registered

Yes, I guess they are in the Midwest. I mentioned it to a friend there, and he totally understood how one could kill someone. It seems so odd to me, but then again, the largest fish I've ever caught was about 22". I hope the story is well read, so more become aware of the potential danger they present.

6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We have sturgeon in the Kootenai River in northern Idaho, as well.
    People used to set the trot lines for them, and use cables, at least from what I have read. Then they checked them every now and then and if there was a large sturgeon, then it would take the whole family to get it hauled in.
    The larger sturgeon might be as long as a man is tall, and would provide a lot of meat for the family for the winter, just like shooting a deer.
    Sturgeon are a very old type of fish, and they look prehistoric to me. Sturgeon eggs are what caviar is made from.
    Here is a picture from around 1930's of a sturgeon that was caught in the Kootenai River near Bonners Ferry.
    image.jpg

Diane Lane likes this.
  7. Diane Lane

Registered

That's a cool pic @Yvonne Smith. I'd never seen one before I saw the story about the girl dying, and the fish looked cute to me. I like the face and head, they look sort of like a caricature. I had no idea people at them, or that they were tasty, and could provide for a family, which is great to hear. I'm glad they serve a purpose, and I'm sure many in the area know just how to go about catching and cooking them. Have you ever tasted the meat? I also was unaware that their eggs were used for caviar. As huge as they can be, it seems they probably produce quite a bit of it.

8. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

Well, I had heard of sturgen before, I also knew that they could jump. But I wasn't aware that they could get so big or that they could jump that high. I feel bad for this family. It wasn't really the fish's fault what happened here it was just one of the horrible fluky type accidents. I hope in the future that people will be more cautious when getting around an area where there are sturgeon, turns out they can be dangerous.