Flea Market Shopping

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Corie Henson, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I am fond of going to flea markets, especially those Sunday markets that sell unusual items. There are so many to choose from those exotic food, from quail meat to goat's meat that includes frog, wild boar, deer, sometimes crocodile meat, huh. And the farm produce are also great with the fresh fern and other not so common vegetables (sorry, I don't know the English terms). Last Sunday I was able to buy giant sugar apple from Thailand. So good although expensive.

Speaking of cost, that's the consideration in the Sunday market. Their prices are relatively high compared to the ordinary town market. But the there is quality assurance. We had lobsters for lunch last Sunday and it was a blockbuster at home. The other week we had French Beans, that small string beans variety that is so good when sauteed in ground beef or pork. My husband is telling me that I am getting addicted to the Sunday market. I just shrugged my shoulders because in fairness to me, he also wants to go there.

2. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

It's been quite a while since I went to the flea market, but I've always enjoyed it. Ours is always on Sunday, too... and it gets totally packed with shoppers. In addition to all the vintage, new, and unusual items, there's always an abundance of produce at the outside stands. (There are a few huge indoor buildings, too, so it's rain or shine here.)

I've never had quail, goat, frog, boar, or crocodile. I'll probably keep it that way :) but I've had deer. I've had alligator jerky and I've had shark. Other than that, nothing real unusual.

What's your best flea market find, @Corie Henson ? I think mine was finding a magazine that had published my writing years before. It was a shocker to find it in a box of old magazines, but I'm glad I looked through the box! :D

3. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Gee, I didn't know you are an article writer. Maybe you can share your article in this forum.

My usual haunt in the Sunday market are fruits and seafood like that lobster. For the fruits, I saw some "mabolo" fruits that may be likened to apple but with big seeds and very soft flesh. I also bought 2 Thailand sugar apple for almost $20. Those 2 served as my lunch for Monday and Tuesday - they are the giant variety, so sweet with thick flesh and not so many seeds. I have the resolve to come back on Sunday just for those sugar apple.

K E Gordon likes this.
  4. Mari North

Registered

I started publishing in 1984, Corie... it would be a lot of typing to share here... :) but I might type something up sometime if I have an article that applies to something we're discussing. I've sold copyrights to much of it, but there are a few things that I can still distribute.

Mabolo... I haven't heard of it, and it sounds good....sugar apple... yum! I've been extra hungry for fruit lately. I can't get anything good in the grocery store, so between May and October, I eat as much produce as I can from roadside stands and markets.

Corie Henson likes this.
  5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

What type of articles do you write, Mari?

As for Flea Markets, I used to think they were fun but I haven't gone in a very long time. I don't need anything and I don't want to be Tempted to bring anything into my house.

I could be selling at a flea Market. I just noticed that I have 2 brand new printers, still in their boxes that I never used.

Von Jones likes this.
  6. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

I miss them - loved them
    Not sure I'd wanna buy food at a 'flea' market though ................:rolleyes::p

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Mari North

Registered

@Chrissy Page , I'm freelance, so anything that's needed. I've done decorating a baby nursery, prostate cancer, and an I95 guide all in the same day. :rolleyes: In about 15 minutes, I'll be starting a history of wedding bands. My music work is just a part-time career, but I've been a writer since the 80s.

Patsy Faye and Chrissy Cross like this.
  8. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm impressed, Mari! I like the way you write on the forum and that's what I noticed first about you so I'm sure you do well.

Mari North likes this.
  9. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

My mother ejoyed flea markets. I grew up going every Saturday to the market. There was aleays something to see and for a few dollars, you could take home a trinket. Flea markets can be a great way to pass the time.

Von Jones likes this.
  10. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

Here in Hawaii on Oahu we got our weekend markets too. Our flea market is filled with bargains, though I never went to one I hear they are okay for finding like you unusual and ethnic foods too. It's called Swap Meet:

[​IMG]

K E Gordon and Von Jones like this.
  11. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I went to a flea market a few weeks ago. I didn't sell much but I did see a purse I wanted to buy! Of course! My ex was complaining about the chicken wings he bought...Oh well such is life! It is a fun thing to do every once in a while. I am sure I will go afte that purse at some point!

12. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I went to the flea market this morning. Was there for a few hours. I stopped by my gardener friend, Jen. I had been wanting to show her how well the canna lily roots had grown so I pulled out my phone and let her see. She was very excited so much so that she started telling every one at her booth that if any one has any questions about them to ask me. I was tickled and people did start asking me about them. I bought every flower from her that's in my garden. I'll be sharing photos soon.

My best find today was a set of wooden tri-fold shutters for $10 though the sticker said $15. They are about 3 feet in height. My plan is to set them up to separate my dining and living rooms so my granddaughters don't have access to the kitchen when they are here. They follow me like my shadow.:D

K E Gordon likes this.
  13. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I know some things I want to get at the flea market. I sure hope they are there by the time I make it down there.As mentioned previously, I saw a purse that would easily be 30 to 50 dollars at a mainstream realtor marked for 5. I saw it several weeks ago, but it is available through one of the semi permanent vendors that are there. Maybe this coming weekend I will be able to get down there. I would love to have that little bag. I also saw an Alpaca sweater, but I will have to wait until I get paid for that,,,if I can buy it then.

Von Jones likes this.