Five Things About Me!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Richard Paradon, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

1. I've got two passports (one UK and one Irish).
    2. I have been to 44 different countries and will make it 45 soon, when I go to Denmark. Hopefully, we'll get across to Sweden as well.
    3. I've worked in three different countries in Africa - Eritrea, Ghana and Ethiopia.
    4. I started a degree course in computer studies, but finished it studying literature and linguistics.
    5. Like Groucho Mark, I would not want to be a member of a club that would have me as a member.

2. Magalina Lilis

Magalina Lilis Veteran Member
    Registered

I am glad to find this thread listing strange or unique things about ourselves bumped to the top of new posts. Some comments had me laughing, some made me cringe, and others touched my heart.

Okay. Here is my list:
    1. I could eat potato's everyday.
    2. I have not been to the mall in years.
    3. I talk to my mother every night on the telephone.
    4. I love Bob Dylan.
    5. I have been tubing down a river without getting wet.

3. Sarah Price

Sarah Price Veteran Member
    Registered

Hey, this is a great idea! Good way to get to know people. Here goes:

1. I also put "dirty" dishes back in the fridge. I see no reason why I should wash a plate just because I put a sandwich on it ONE time!

2. I spent this past weekend bedridden because of terrible muscle spasms in my back. :( Not fun.

3. Even though I'm almost in my mid-50s, I have very little gray hair. I take after my mom. When she died in her 70s, she had just a bit of gray hair at her temples so I expect to be like her.

4. I have problems with pesticides so when I got out into the yard to do any work, I put my hair up, wear a pair of shorts and a t-shirt and leave a pair of plastic shoes just inside the garage. Then I go out to my car where I leave another t-shirt, a hat, another pair of shoes, some long pants and I suit up. When I'm done I take off the outer layer of clothing and CAREFULLY put my feet into the shoes I left inside the garage. I immediately go to the shower and get completely in, with the shorts, the shirt, the shoes, even what I tie my hair up in. I am DEATHLY afraid of getting fleas. Last year I accidentally brought in a flea and gave them to my cats and I had to wear a respirator for THREE months in my house because I could not tolerate the pesticides I had to give them. What a nightmare!

5. I guess I'm still in puberty because I regularly have blemishes on my face. sigh.... Someday when I'm in my coffin, visitors will be able to observe that yes, I still have a zit here and there on my face. Why me????

4. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Yup. Let's talk about me.
    1. I'm an introvert
    2. Even though I can speak in front of thousands of people, I do not like to be in crowds. It's way above my comfort zone.
    3. I am quiet.
    4. I love to study. ANYTHING! I can't get enough information. The more difficult the subject, the more I love it.
    5. I am a Chef, a Preacher, a Philosopher and have 3 graduate degrees.
    6. MOST IMPORTANTLY! I love my wife.

I know, I put 6. I'm a heavy believer in giving a bakers dozen. (does that make #7?)

Yvonne Smith and Sarah Price like this.
  5. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

It means you've still got half a fact left to give us...

Bobby Cole likes this.
  6. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

I was once involved in a..................!

Yup, it was one crazy day.

Tom Locke likes this.
  7. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

A "Baker's Dozen" I thought was 13. Like donuts are generally bought by the dozen, and if the baker liked you he would throw in an extra donut, hence the term Baker Dozen.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  8. Brittany Houser

Brittany Houser Veteran Member
    Registered

Hrmph, not much unusual about me, but here goes:

1.I was a machinist in my younger days.
    2. Before that, I was a Carney.
    3.I love Victorian history, especially Memento Mori, which was a peculiar custom that entailed propping up the dead, and taking photographs of them.
    4.I could eat haggis every day of my life!!!!!
    5.Sherlock Holmes is the love of my life.
    It's not easy being me. :D

9. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Wellllllllll, kinda sorta, Ina. Perhaps that is what bakers have done in the last couple of centuries but the way the story goes is something like this.
    Wayyyyy back around in the 13th century bakers (I believe England, or it could be France or....wherever) were known for selling bread that was "light" as in weight. They were full of a lot of air rather than a bread of firmer texture. The complaints rang out the the palace answered by saying that it would cost the baker his HAND if a loaf was found to be too light. Therefore, the baker always put extra up to even a whole loaf in order to prevent the loss of one's hand. As time progressed and things started to be sold by the "dozen" the extra was still a courtesy to insure a goodly amount of weight.

The French called it "Lagniappe, or, a little extra," and is still practiced in my good state of Louisiana.

Ina I. Wonder and Yvonne Smith like this.
  10. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Ms. Houser! You were a carney? Spizzeek Kisarny? I have traveled with a few shows and was even a Chaplain for Murphy Bros. Normally, I was an agent. And you?

Brittany Houser likes this.
  11. Brittany Houser

Brittany Houser Veteran Member
    Registered

LOL Bobby! I can't claim the same prestigious positions as you. I was a humble concessions slave. I had a lot of fun, until the gypsies, thieves and murderers started joining up! LOL My "career" with the Great Eastern Fair was short-lived, but it gave me some great stories to tell my kids!

Yvonne Smith likes this.