Fire Deaths In California

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Lon Tanner, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

The present number of deaths from these preventable fires is mind boggling in this day and age. It isn't like these fires weren't predictable as to when and where they would occur. I don't know who or what is responsible but I am still trying to get my mind around the number of deaths and THOUSANDS of homes and personal property destroyed.

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Veteran Member
    Registered

The first 5 I heard about died in their cars...probably trying to get away. Don't know about the others.

Did you see those videos of people driving on 101 with fire blazing on both sides of the road...scary!

Doesn't take much for it to jump the road either.

In this fire many of the homes destroyed belonged to the rich movie stars, so although it's still devastating at least they have other homes or good insurance to rebuild.

It's the ones that aren't wealthy I feel for....ones that have nowhere to go.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Having gone through a fire emergency, I know many people stay behind when ordered to evacuate. They think they will have time to get out, and they want to try to protect their property from fire or looting. Sometimes children, pets or livestock cause people to try to return to their holes after they have left, or they go back when they have been out for work or visiting. When we went through it, I had 5 children at home, 16 dogs, a number of goats (I don't remember exactly), and a house full of memories. At the first voluntary evacuation, I sent one daughter and one son with the dogs to one friend's home, and my wife, other daughter and young toddler son went with the goats to a small farm away from the danger zone. One of my older sons and I stayed to protect the house as best we could. We have a lake behind the house, so that would be refuge should we need it. We eventually left when the flames got close and we passed the fire trucks coming into our driveway as we were going out. I think I told this story here on another thread, but many people misjudge how quickly a fire can travel and change direction, and they believe they are safe until they are not and cannot get out. Many times they can't be rescued.

4. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

How true this is Don...so many people think they can "judge" the time they have to get to safety...but it really doesn't work that way in most cases. And no one should ever put the safety of "things" against the safety of their own or their family's lives.

Don Alaska likes this.