Final Resting Place, When Done Here

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Joy Martin, Apr 17, 2022.

1. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I don’t want to be embalmed and trapped in the ground in a box for eternity. I read about the embalming process too and it seems ghoulish, so I contacted a funeral director who also does cremations for info. I decided I want cremation and that some of the ashes be spread in the woods where I played; some be thrown in the river where I fished and the rest be interred into the reopened grave of my father. I originally considered that they be spread on the ground on the family burial plot but the funeral director advised against it because the ashes would be noticeable and some may not like it, so in the ground they go. I have my nephew taking care of all this. It’s worth his while because he gets all I own.

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, we've already paid for both of our ashes (boxes) to be put in the same plot as her son, so the cemetery already knows and has been paid for the extra two in the plot.

Each of us also has a book to fill out, like an autobiography, of ourselves, as well as an online autobiography area for each of us, from Neptune Society.

3. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

Maybe I asked this already but I forgot if I did.

Who gets rid of a house or apt full of stuff when one leaves this place? The person who died had no money to speak of and no relatives etc....

Who cleans it all out?

Right now my neighbor's niece came in from FL last night to TRY to get rid of her aunt's stuff...My neighbor had no money but for daily living so she left an apt of stuff....

Who pays for all this work and are their agencies just do it for free???? They probably do it to resale everything they can....

John Brunner likes this.
  4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I would assume that if the deceased were renting, the estate holds title to the stuff and is responsible for its removal. After a statutory period of time, the landlord would likely have the right to disposed of abandoned property and charge the estate for any costs (with a possible offset for whatever the goods might have been sold for.) There's also the timing (and cost) variable of the landlord needing the place to be vacated & clean so they can rent it out to the next guy...someone's gotta pay rent The government (taxpayer) is not gonna pay for this. There are always businesses who do these services for a fee.

If the deceased owned the home, the mortgage still has to be paid and so do taxes & insurances, and the place still needs to get cleaned out, but this can be at the leisure of the heirs (since there is no lease to expire.) Again, there are businesses who clean out homes & manage estate sales and auctions.

When people die Intestate (without heirs) then the state gets their stuff, and it would be the state's problem to deal with all of the above.

Don Alaska likes this.
  5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

With rental homes or apartments, the landlord would probably store the stuff for a time, until it was decided whether or not there were any relatives planning on inheriting it. I don't think there are agencies willing to clean homes out for free, but auctioneers might be asked to bid on it. Usually, in the deal, they get to auction off or sell everything of value but, in turn, they have to dispose of the rest of it. My neighbor, who is an auctioneer, will sometimes be hired by relatives to auction off anything of value for a commission, or he might be asked to bid on the whole contents of the house. In the latter case, he can do quite well when he discovers hidden silver, gold, or other valuables. At other times, he might lose his time carting away a bunch of junk, so he has to determine whether he wants to bid on it, and how much.

On the other hand, when my other neighbor moved away into an apartment, abandoning his home to whoever held the mortgage, he left a house full of junk, since I assume he took or sold anything of value, and it's been sitting there for a couple of years now. Someone, probably the mortgage holder, pays someone to come by and mow the lawn during the spring and summer, and, for some reason, they pay someone to plow the drive during the winter. Someone was there thinking about buying it last spring but I haven't seen or heard any activity since.

John Brunner and Don Alaska like this.
  6. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

We are going to bury my BIL in a few hours. This funeral is exactly why I am going to be cremated.
    So much stress, in burial procedures, and then clothes and then distance an entire array of things that no body left behind should have to deal with. All the while being around kin folk who have been scattered everywhere that you have not seen since high school at least. The only good out of this type of gathering are there are those who truly want to see you one last time, and are ready to indulge family secrets. LOLO
    Unlucky for all , I am my good jeans, but bought a nice shirt that has no sayings of any kind. I have been up since 2:30 and the funeral wont be over until 7..then there s the feast that follows..loongday.