Final Resting Place, When Done Here

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Joy Martin, Apr 17, 2022.

1. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

All my relatives are in caskets in the ground in PA cemetery and of course they don't get visitors as we're told..will be the case....

I will not follow that trend and will be over the Pacific or the beach or where my little family that is in my life wants to place me.

I believe my brother who is 80 feels pretty much the same way....His little family's decision too.

You guys.... your choices..

2. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

A waterfall will do for me, or a clear stream with lots of rocks.

Joy Martin likes this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My oldest son lives on the same property where my mom and dad lived during the depression and 2nd World War, and until I was about 2 years old; so I feel a strong connection to the property.
    He has set aside an area in the pine trees where anyone from the family who dies can have their ashes put in the ground there. He has already told his sons that this is where he wants his ashes placed, and this is where I would like mine to be , as well.

This picture is the old house where my folks lived and went through the depression. People said that they thought it had originally been built as a stagecoach stop for travelers going north to Canada; and the old road did go right past the front of the house, and there was a circular kind of driveway that would have worked for a stagecoach or other kind of wagon traveling through.
    The house is long gone now, and my son and his wife live further to the back of the property.

8D370613-3C15-490C-B196-D944F181F999.jpeg

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I'd opt for a compost pile but they probably have an ordinance against that.

5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Bobby Cole likes this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

A $5,500 compost wasn't what I had in mind, though.

7. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

8. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I've not formalized this, being single with no one to take care of it after I'm gone. I want to be cremated and have my ashes spread on the ground of a small church I went to when I first moved here. It was built in the 1800s to serve a congregation that was started in the 1700s. I've done quite a bit of work to that church, happy to add my fingerprints to those of so many generations. I really have no connection to anything else.

I've got a note to go to a local funeral home to make arrangements and prepay the expenses, but I've been putting it off. Maybe I'll do it this week.

As an aside, I have this in the woods on my property:

Cemetary shaded.jpg

Cemetary sunny.jpg

It's kinda peaceful. I guess this used to be near an old home site. Having my ashes spread here is Plan B.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2022
  9. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Have stated before - but ashes to be spread at an old home site at Gulf of Mexico

Beth Gallagher and Bobby Cole like this.
  10. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

There is one exception to the phrase, “I don’t care where they throw me.”
    I don’t know why it creeps me out but I definitely don’t want to be plasticized and put on display.
    I mean, I know I won’t care when I’ve shed this body but the idea of someone pointing a finger at me whilst saying, “that looks like grandpa” kind of unnerves me.

Don Alaska likes this.
  11. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We are currently paying a monthly payment for cremation with Neptune Society. Already have our cremation boxes for our ashes and we will both be put in the same Plot that my wife's son's casket is in. Just enough room for both of us. He is buried in Lake Forest, CA. Both, my wife's older sister, and her daughter, have copies of all the paperwork.

Mary Stetler and John Brunner like this.
  12. John Brunner

That's interesting they will let you bury the remains for 3 people in a single plot. We buried my father's ashes, and when she died 30 years later, put my mother's ashes in the same plot. I was not involved in the arrangements and thought that the cemetery had done us a favor. That was around 2005. Perhaps this is more customary than I thought.

I do know that when you look at the cemetery's online directory where my parents are buried, there is one entry per plot, meaning that the records only show my father being interned there. I would assume there to be the proper paper trail somewhere. But an online search of those records does not find co-tenants.

13. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

Judy and I both had pre-paid funerals with a site overlooking the Atlantic, she's in a nice casket. i'll be in a cardboard carton

14. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

{shrug} Surprise me...

Mary Stetler and Don Alaska like this.
  15. John Brunner

That's not a bad idea, Al.

[​IMG]