Fiddleheads

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Susan Brown, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Susan Brown

Susan Brown Veteran Member
    Registered

Who likes fiddleheads? They are my favorite vegetable. I hate that it is such a short season so I try and get my fill in when I can. I like them either steamed or sauteed. They are also good in a stir fry. Any other suggestions of how to prepare them?

2. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

All right, I am going to be honest here, I have never heard of fiddleheads until this very moment. I had to go look them up on google to find out what they are. So, apparently they are a type of plant, or I guess they could fall under the vegetable category. I have never had these at least not to my knowledge so I can't really say whether I like them or not. They did seem like an interesting looking vegetable or is that plant.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

They are a big thing here in Maine. We have loads of them on our land in the spring. I think they're okay, but my wife doesn't care for them so we don't eat them often.

4. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

What's a fiddlehead?

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Fiddleheads are the shoots of a young fern, found in the spring as things are beginning to turn green. In fact, where they grow, they tend to be among the first green things to sprout in the spring. They are said to have an antioxidant quality, are a source of Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids and are high in iron and fiber. On the other hand, it's good to know which fern fronds you are using because some varieties of fiddleheads are thought to be carcinogenic. Think mushrooms. Some are very good but it's a good idea to know which ones you are eating.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]