Fiber-licious Cookies And Cakes

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Yvonne Smith, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

This is not an actual recipe, more of a recipe idea, or even an addition, since it can be adapted to just about any cookie or cake recipe.
    We all need more fiber, but sometimes it is hard to eat enough of the foods that are full of fiber, and the foods like bran cereals are not all that tasty either, and fiber bars are more sugar than anything else, and still only a few grams of fiber.
    What I have been doing is taking a recipe for chocolate chip cookies, and adding to it to make it more healthy and an easy way to get fiber.
    I also add a scoop of protein powder and extra eggs for more protein. We got some rice protein powder last summer, and it just did not mix well in a smoothie or as a breakfast drink, but it works perfectly in a recipe like this, but any protein powder would work.
    I also add flax meal, and sometimes fresh flax seeds, almond meal, and a big scoop of psyllium granules, all of which are chock full of fiber.
    This also works with a cake recipe, and I have tried it with a yellow cake mix and also a chocolate one. In the yellow cake mix, I added carrots and some spices and it made a wonderful carrot cake, but with lots of fiber.

2. Yvonne Smith

I have moved on from fiber cookies to more fiber cake instead. I had to use the regular oven in order to make very many cookies at one time, and by making it into a fiber cake, I can just mix it and pop it into the little toaster oven, saving electricity.

To make the Fiberlicious cake, I use a cheap cake mix, yellow or chocolate because they are the cheapest. Then I add flax meal, spices, chia seeds, and psyllium flakes, as well as an extra tablespoon of baking powder. Either chocolate chips , raisins, or cran-raisins for extra flavor.
    I use whatever fruits or veggies I have, bananas, apples, sweet potato, squash, carrots, etc, (not all at once) and fresh yogurt and eggs for the liquid part.
    Once all that is mixed, I add in about a cup of oatmeal, and more yogurt if the batter is too thick, and then I put it all in the toaster oven for an hour.

We get plenty of fiber this way, and enjoy a piece of the fiber cake (really more of a sweet bread), and it is perfect with a hot cup of coffee.

3. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Yvonne Smith - I do admire your desire to constantly make new things to eat. However just too much work ,for the sake of eating - for me . You will live to be 110 and and I will barley make it til next year - -probably:rolleyes:

Faye Fox and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Never thought of this, sounds like a great way to get out fiber and satisfy our sweet tooth too.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

I make biscuits from pack of cake mix once in a while where you can add a few extras , but I’ve never tried adding oats so I might just try that when I think about making something out of cake mix as we call it I’ve got orange poppy seed flavour in the cupboard ( still) :)haven’t got around to using the 2-3 packs yet .

I seen a recipe in a weekly mag a few days ago using cake mix and yoghurt/ egg but no extra fibre foods like oats / nuts / fruits .
    I make nut loafs from time to time and add wheat bran in place of SOME flour for extra fibre

6. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Having to gum food eliminates a lot of good fiber options. I am thinking about making chocolate applesauce cake using oat flour, but not sure how it would come out. Does anyone have a tried and proven recipe? :)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Yvonne Smith

There are a lot of interesting recipe ideas on youtube that use either oatmeal, or oatmeal that you process into oat flour with the blender first. I broke my front tooth earlier this year, and it has pretty much stopped me from eating anything crunchy; so I have been working on modifying my diet to still get enough fiber and nutrients and fresh raw foods.
    My food processor and blender help out a bunch.

I don’t have a recipe, but I have made a similar cake to what you are asking about with my fiber cakes. Chocolate cake mix, and all of the extra fiber stuff.
    Process 2-3 apples in the food processor, or add them with the yogurt and eggs into a blender, blend and then mix that in with the fiber cake flour, and then add oatmeal until you get the right thickness in the batter.
    I cook mine for about an hour at 350-375, in the toaster oven.

It is not as sweet and fluffy as a regular cake, but you can get a lot of good fiber with the added flax, psyllium, and the fruit or veggies.
    An interesting thing that I tried (from youtube) was adding a cup of lentils to the chocolate cake batter. I soaked them overnight, rinsed, and puréed them in the food processor. The cake smelled like raw lentils before I baked it; but afterwards, you could not smell or taste the lentils at all, and they have lots of food fiber. The chocolate cake and chocolate chips completely hid any other taste. Buckwheat is another option.

Faye Fox likes this.
  8. Kate Ellery

Registered

I’ve never heard of chocolate apple sauce however I have a low cal brownie recipe ….somewhere ….that uses apple purée
    But the choc / apple sounds nice ….actually I have a Tasmanian apple cookbook ( cause Tasmania is known for growing wild apples ) so I might look in that book latter
    @Faye Fox

9. Kate Ellery

Registered

Weet Bix ( breakfast cereal ) are a great high fibre option to add to a slice or a cake @Yvonne Smith

Not sure what they would be called in your country , I used to make a Weet bix loaf type cake heaps ,…… but I don’t cook sweet stuff much now days………
    Weet bix used to be plain but now they come in different flavours ….as well as plain.

, I just prefer a plain semi sweet biscuit that’s only made for South Aust
    ( can’t buy YO - Yo biscuits in Queensland or NSW cause I tired while we was away ) and the shop assistants had no idea what I meant by Yo - Yo biscuits. :(
    https://australianfoodtimeline.com.au/yo-yo-biscuits/

Last edited: Nov 18, 2022
  10. Kate Ellery

Registered

11. Kate Ellery

Registered

Here is the delicious fruit loaf using Weet Bix I used to make heaps …have a slice with butter

Never tried with the speciality / flavoured Weet Bix that’s on the market now days ….I might get a pack of the honey / oats one when I shop next week to try ..I like experimenting with recipes :):)

4 Weet Bix …Crushed
    3 tablespoons butter
    3/4 cup,mixed fruit ..more if you like more
    3/4 cup sugar
    1egg
    1cup SF flour
    1 teaspoon carb soda

Place first 4 ingredients in a bowl , add I cup of boiling water .
    Stir ..
    Allow to soak for 5 mins

Add beaten egg ,sifted flour and Carb soda ..mix
    Cook in loaf pan 175/ 40 mins
    I sometimes added a few walnuts
    @Yvonne Smith

Bobby Cole, Yvonne Smith and Faye Fox like this.
  12. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I've seen recipes for fiber crackers and fiber muffins that use this cereal:

[​IMG]

Once you soak it, it's like mush.

Yvonne Smith likes this.