Fences and Other Boundaries

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Diane Lane, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I've got privacy fences around the property, but have a neighbor who likes to party on the weekends, and for some reason, feels the need to relieve himself (and his friends do the same) in the backyard, in view of my back porch. For that reason, I looked around for something that would block the view on that side of the porch, and I came up with this idea. They've been there a couple of years now, and work well.

Some people like their land and property wide open, but I'm a firm believer that good fences make good neighbors. How about you? I saw on another forum, someone mentioned using bamboo as a privacy screen, so I'm going to look into that, but I wanted to see how others felt about the issue, and maybe y'all will have other good ideas.

Trellises.jpg

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I like fences that plants can climb on.

Diane Lane likes this.
  3. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

Those look pretty, but if the area you're fencing off is large, it will take a bunch of them and it might be overkill. They would look nice incorporated into a similar privacy fence, maybe one about 4' tall with another 2' or so of trellis on top.

If you're looking to plant bamboo, be really careful - it is extremely invasive, once it takes hold, it grows like a weed (which it is) and is hard to get rid of. You'll need to put down a barrier to keep if from taking over your yard.

Have you talked to your neighbor about his behavior? What he's doing is not acceptable in any setting and you really shouldn't have to tolerate it!

4. Lydia Williams

Lydia Williams Veteran Member
    Registered

Wow, that's appalling what your neighbour does.

Mine don't do anything particularly bad, but I couldn't live without my fences! I love being out in the sun in the garden, sunbathing or doing gardening, but if the neighbours could just see in I'd be a tad self-conscious and much less relaxed about doing things in the garden.

The fences you posted are pretty definitely. :) Though I agree with Mal, be careful about invasive climbing plants. I have no experience with bamboo but I've had others in the past that were a nightmare.

Diane Lane likes this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We have a chain link fence around the back yard, and we are in the process of planting bushes and vines around the fence liine, and hopefully, it will eventually become more like a hedge around the back yard.
    In the front, out by the road, I have planted a row of Jerusalem artichokes, which grow 6-8' tall, and have little yellow flowers (look like mini-sunflowers) on them. They grow from a rhizome thst looks similar to an iris, and are supposed to spread each year. This summer, we should have a tall semi-hedge of these growing and blooming, and each year they will thicken up. They are also edible; so if we wanted to, we could also have some to eat. Here is a picture of how they are supposed to look when in bloom.
    Behind those are the roses and blueberries, which are not as tall, but should also thicken up. Eventually, even though we live next to the road; it should be pretty private here.
    image.jpg

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
    Diane Lane likes this.
  6. Diane Lane

Registered

No, Mal, those are just 2 planter trellises that I have on the back porch to block view from/to his yard. I just wondered about other forms of fencing/boundaries, and happened to see someone posted about the bamboo. I definitely don't want anything invasive, so I'm glad you mentioned that. I haven't talked to him. He and his family are native to this neighborhood, and things are done a little differently here. I agree it's not acceptable, but things seem to have changed somewhat since his wife died, and he's not home/in the yard as much. Hopefully that'll stay the same in the future;).

7. Diane Lane

Registered

I'm the same. I don't particularly have a problem with my neighbors (especially since he's apparently cleaning up his act), but I like being out of view when I do my yard work and anything else I do out there. I'm fortunate that I'm in a 2-story, so I have added privacy up on the balcony, which is where most of my plants are. I don't have many, but the ones I do have are in containers, except one palm out back. My Mom has the issue of a large expanse of un-fenced land, and she always feels on display when she's working outside. People here mainly have chain link or no fencing, so obviously they feel differently, but I like my privacy!

8. Diane Lane

Registered

That sounds nice, Yvonne. I think the chain link plus bushes/vines might be the best of both worlds, because it'll be sturdier, at least than the fences here, which are somewhat rickety. I know I've heard of Jerusalem artichokes, but I don't know what they are. I'll have to look them up. Blueberries and roses sound divine!