Feeling Stupid?

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Bobby Cole, Sep 5, 2015.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Yeah, that's me. Pretty stupid. So stupid I can't figure where I needed to put this thread! Education? yeah, no not really. Reading and writing? uhhhh......naw. Okay the, how about "make me laugh?" No, I tried to watch Dumb and Dumber and had to turn it off within 15 minutes. It wasn't funny.

So what, you ask, did I do that was so stupid? Okay, here it is.

My wife and I went to Walmart late this afternoon. No, that isn't the stupid thing I am referring to but it is a close 2nd place.
    She and I went our separate ways, her for groceries and such and I went to look for stencils. When I got to the art supply area I found that it abutted an isle with all kinds of pens, paper, envelopes and just a bunch of good "stuff."
    I started thinking about writing and how much fun I used to have making all of the nice swirls and curves when I wrote a letter. "Bobby," I said to myself. "How about I get some of this neat stuff and sit down and write real letters tonight!" What an epiphany!! Real writing!

I set out with a definite goal of finding some great paper and even looked for a real ink pen. Ya know, a nice fountain pen with either the refills or even better, a bottle of ink! I didn't even find the refills much less a fountain pen but did find an assortment of felt tipped calligraphy pens.
    I carefully chose a couple that really looked like they and I could create the best letters in the whole world. I also chose 3 types of paper and some nice envelopes that seemed to match the intent of my wonderful new endeavor.

With envelopes, my pens, and paper in hand I started to march proudly to the cash out counter when it hit me.

The only addresses I have left are..............email addresses. Stupid internet. Stupid pens and paper.
    Stupid Bobby.

2. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I guess you are not stupid but just forgetful. Maybe you are living in the past when love letter was the standard, hahahaaa. I used to be writing letters on the yellow sheet when my boyfriend was abroad. For 4 months, we had been exchanging letters via postal mail at least twice a week. You can guess that our letters are numbered so it wouldn't confuse us because the travel of the letter takes at least a week if luck is on us but normally 2 weeks.

Well, times have changed, @Bobby Cole because we now just post our greetings on Facebook or Tweeter and that's done, saving us the effort to write on a clean sheet of paper and bother with the envelope and the stamp. For occasions, all we need is post in fancy letters the greeting... Merry Christmas to everyone.

Ike Willis likes this.
  3. Brittany Houser

Brittany Houser Veteran Member
    Registered

LOL At least the endeavor was a noble one. I long for the days when we actually used nice paper and fountain pens for correspondence. I remember when I was a very small child, my Grandma had what must have been an ancient fountain pen, with a rubber bulb-like thingie, that sucked ink up into itself. I may be remembering the details wrong, but I know it was a very odd contraption that she used to write with. Now if I had one of THOSE, I would revive the art of letter writing! :D

4. Magalina Lilis

Magalina Lilis Veteran Member
    Registered

Bobby, you are a super story writer!

Truth is email addresses are super convenient way to correspond. At the same time the internet is a super way to look up some of those addresses, we use to keep readily on hand. If someone were to receive one of your super cool handwritten letters, it would be a super surprise!

Oh yeah, super smart for your wife and you to tackle the Walmart separately. This is the way my husband and I do it. Not only saves time, we are able to stop and pause exactly when we want without feeling rushed.

Yvonne Smith and Ike Willis like this.
  5. Marianna Linke

Marianna Linke Veteran Member
    Registered

I think its really nice that you wanted to actually write people instead of just emailing them. I miss getting personal letters in the mail, now all I get are bills and most of the time they're not even for me but for the people who used to live at my address. No, I wouldn't say you were stupid by a long shot, sentimental maybe, but not stupid. I wish more people would take the time to re-learn the feel of pen and paper, we've become too dependent on electronic devices to do everything for us. What would happen if the internet was to suddenly hit a big hiccup and send everyone's emails to the wrong addresses? I'm surprised that no-one has written a comedy about that yet. It would be at least as good as Dumb and Dumber. No, you keep on with the idea of writing in ink again and even if you don't send the letters you can keep them as part of a journal. I still have hand written journals that I write in. There really is something about the feel of the paper that inspires me in a way that a laptop can't.

Bobby Cole and Ike Willis like this.
  6. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

:oops:Well you could ask for peoples addresses when you e-mail them say for the holidays you'd like to send them a special note...It's nice to be able to be artful when you write. It's not a wast of time if you enjoy making things. You still can make things for the holidays that's coming up, so it wan't a waste at all. You can start projects with your children and grandchildren too making posters or cards for the holidays. Making presents too or colorful artsy Christmas wrapping paper originally made by you can be a big change from store bought papers. It's nice to have a flair for art work that your whole family can do together when it's snowing!

7. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

I think it's a good idea to email the individuals and ask them for their addresses. Just explain to them the mix up. All of us have had situations where these sort of things have happened, so I am sure they will understand. You might even have a good laugh over the whole thing with your friends when it's all said and done.

8. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

Good idea to send a handwritten letter. I would like to receive a handwritten note instead of an email. Handwritten notes have gone the way of the peronnal phone book, everything is now on the cell phone.

9. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, Bobby, you can always just write for for pure pleasure.
    "Take THAT, you keyboards and touchpads of the world!"

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  10. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I used to like to write with the old-fashioned fountain pens when I was younger, too. Once I was out of grade school, that is what I used for a pen, and I had several of them. You could buy the containers of colored ink to refill your pen, and I would mix the colors (blue+green= turquoise ink) and come up with any shade that I liked.
    Mostly the teachers didn't grumble if my homework was in green or purple ink, as long as it was done correctly; but some of them did insist that I had to stick with blue or black, and all of them told me not to use red ink, since that was what they used to correct papers.
    I also had a set of cheap calligraphy pens, which I had fun with , but never became proficient at using.

Here is where I have to confess that I also looked at all of the pens and inks at the craft section in Walmart, just like Bobby did, and came to the same conclusion---- there was no one to write to with pen and paper anymore.
    Maybe the answer is for us to get a set of calligraphy pens, and then Bobby and I can write letters to each other, what do you think ? ?

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  11. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Your uniqueness with penmanship at a young age reminds me of the young man in the video below. Your last line may have been in jest…or not…but I think it sounds like a fabulous idea. There's lots of inspiration online from the old masters and I have a book titled, "Love Letters from Famous Men" which works into this scenario somehow. What a wonderful way to share a common interest so vital to long-lasting happy marriages…which you two seem to need no help with but others reading this might.

Here's a young man who came from the generation of laptops….he imparts great wisdom for his generation…

Ina I. Wonder likes this.