Fear Of Medicine In Other Countries

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Martin Alonzo, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

The fear of medicine in third world countries, people use this to scare people from travel or the idea of living in a third world country. I moved to the Dominican Republic from Canada where the medical care is somewhat though as good. Years ago I had a motorcycle accident went to the hospital and had the wounds cleared stitch up ant told what to buy for antibiotics and pain killers I would need no charge. Good care taken right in well most times it only takes a few minutes anyways. A few weeks ago I broke my wrist went to the local hospital they their x-ray machine was down because of electricity form there went to Puerto Plata only to find their x-ray also was down but walking across the street to a privately owned x-ray machine which cost be 1,400 pesos = US $29.60 for two sets of x-rays. Returned to the hospital and they put a cast on no charge. The hospitals are poorly equipped but good service at the clinics on the other hand are well equipped my daughter’s broken are costs 15,000 pesos = US $317.00 for the same thing.

Most of the doctors working in the hospitals also work in the clinics. I have also seen the doctors making house calls without charge in fact they have been at my house a few times but I would not let him go without giving him some money for gas.

Be glad to answer any questions that anyone has.

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

It was pretty much the same in Hungary, I got an MRI of my elbow for $35. Meds were cheap, we had a dr come to the house for my husband all the time...

The hospitals were kind of below US standards but we paid with dollars and got my husband a private room all the time...and paid extra for any surgeries but it still was cheap ...we just wanted the best possible care.

My husband had dual citizenship and he had the Hungarian insurance but he seldom used it, just because it was so cheap to pay for the best care.

I didn't have insurance there but like I said, I needed an MRI and I paid $35 for it.

The Same lasix that is sold here my husband paid 20 cents for at the pharmacy..

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    Martin Alonzo likes this.