Faye's Chuckwagon Chili

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Faye Fox, Oct 17, 2022.

1. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Ingredients

1 32oz can pinto beans
    2 lb well-marbled chuck steak
    1 32 oz cans of tomato sauce
    1 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes
    1 large sweet yellow onion
    2 garlic cloves
    2 tablespoons chili powder
    1/8 tsp white pepper
    2 tbsp yellow mustard
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1 7 oz can hot tomato sauce (optional)

Feeds 4 adults

Preparation

Cut steak into ½” cubes. Leave all the fat. Rub olive oil around in the skillet. Season meat cubes with your favorite steak seasoning and brown. Dice up the onion and garlic. Add to skillet and sauté for a few minutes. Dump all the contents of the skillet into a 4 qt pot. Add the tomato sauce, beans, tomatoes, chili powder, white pepper, and yellow mustard. Stir up, add water to get the consistency you desire, and put on medium until it starts to simmer, and then put heat on low. Sample liquid for taste and add salt, more chili powder, and hot pepper sauce if desired, but add all these in small amounts, stir and taste. I would usually make two pots of chili, one with hot sauce and one mild. Stir up and leave on low for several hours. I always started early so it could cook for 10 hours. Be sure to lid the pot and watch liquid level although on low it should go all day without much loss. If you cannot attend it, just add a bit more water and forget about it until dinner time. I have a 16 qt pot that I have used and just multiplied all the ingredients by 4 and it came out great for filling 16 large bowls. Serve with hot oven-fresh cornbread and lots of real butter.

In memory of Alonzo Tanner
    Photo is of a two-quart skillet and cutting the ingredients in half.
    I did the entire process in the skillet. It works great for 1-2 people
    FF chili.jpg

Last edited: Oct 17, 2022
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I'll give this a shot. For as much as I like to cook, I don't make very good chili.

Faye Fox likes this.
  3. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

I’m not a chile fan but I’m going to try that

Faye Fox likes this.
  4. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Truth be told I was lazy yesterday and simplified the recipe, but it was my best-tasting chili ever.

I put 1 LB untrimmed cubed prime chuck beef in the olive oil-treated skillet and covered it with McCormick's gourmet hamburger seasoning and bulk locally made chili powder. I turned it and seasoned the other side the same then, browned it. The smell was divine! Then I added a 14 oz can of diced tomatoes with diced medium hot chili peppers. one 14 oz can tomato sauce, 2 14 oz cans drained pinto beans, and then let it simmer for 8 hours. The beef was mouth-melting tender and the flavor was amazing with a mild burn. Simple and my best chili ever.

5. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm going to try that, too, @Faye Fox . I've been looking the perfect chili recipe for a long time.

Now, do you have a really good recipe for spaghetti sauce? We have loads of green peppers from the garden and I need the perfect spaghetti sauce recipe to use some of them. I've looked online and found some that sound pretty good but not perfect.

Does anybody else have a favorite spaghetti sauce recipe? I have always just opened a jar of Ragu so I need advice.

John Brunner likes this.
  6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I just posted a spaghetti sauce recipe (meat & veggies) and a marinara sauce recipe. I found both when I got on my homemade pasta kick. I did not include anchovies in the recipe, but they are always a nice addition. The marinara sauce is very very good.