Favorite Sayings or Verses

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Bobby Cole, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Just about everyone has a favorite verse or saying. Mine happens to be Biblical, but there's some great, sage, sayings that are life builders as well. Mine is out of the letter to the Romans, 8:38-39
    "For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities, no powers
    nor things present nor things future can separate us from the love of God which is through Christ Jesus our Lord."
    It just tells me that I am loved by God, no matter what happens. (of course there is a lessen that goes with the scripture, but that might be for a different thread)

What's yours??

2. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

When I start to doubt myself I remind myself "If God Be For Me Who Can Be Against ME" it reminds me that God is my source and what ever I maybe going thru it is temporary, it will pass.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  3. Allie Seay

Allie Seay Veteran Member
    Registered

Philippians 4:6-7
    Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

I was discussing how my attitude about worry has changed over the years with Ken just yesterday. Worry used to be something that I would allow--and sometimes encouraged--to take over at times for a strange but simple reason. I had somehow gotten the idea at one time or another that a lack of worry concerning those you love demonstrated a lack of caring; which, of course, is completely untrue.
    In fact, one is able to do more for those one cares about when at peace and not consumed with worry, so I'm happy to say that no matter how concerned I might be I spend very little time actively fretting or worrying anymore.
    When I do find myself trapped in it, though, the holy spirit reminds me to give it up in prayer and peace is restored unfailingly.
    And what a wonderful blessing it is.

Yvonne Smith and Bobby Cole like this.
  4. Sarah Price

Sarah Price Veteran Member
    Registered

"A hundred years from now, it won't matter what kind of home you lived in or what kind of car you drove, but the world may be a better place because you were important in the life of a child." :)

Ruth Belena and Bobby Cole like this.
  5. Ruth Belena

Ruth Belena Veteran Member
    Registered

All mine are secular

“It is never too late to be what you might have been.”
    George Eliot
    “The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people are so full of doubts.”
    Bertrand Russell

Bobby Cole likes this.
  6. Teresita Campaner

Teresita Campaner Veteran Member
    Registered

Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it.
    Hebrews 13:2

Bobby Cole likes this.
  7. Helene Lawson

Helene Lawson Veteran Member
    Registered

All the seven deadly sins are man's true nature. To be greedy. To be hateful. To have lust. Of course, you have to control them, but if you're made to feel guilty for being human, then you're going to be trapped in a never-ending sin-and-repent cycle that you can't escape from.

8. Helene Lawson

Helene Lawson Veteran Member
    Registered

In any story, the villain is the catalyst. The hero's not a person who will bend the rules or show the cracks in his armor. He's one-dimensional intentionally, but the villain is the person who owns up to what he is and stands by it.

When all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed.

9. Gary O'Dan

Gary O'Dan Well-Known Member
    Registered

Favorite Sayings or Verses

Looks like I'm resurrecting an old thread

I put this verse to a photo I took up at our mountain cabin

It's a favorite

[​IMG]

10. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

This is my beloved little (angel-dog) Chipper, showing his “Praise the Lord” . He is now in Doggie-Heaven praising God there.

73E9026D-37A7-4B96-9A6A-B0E0DE6C2F93.jpeg

11. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Ecclesiastes 1:9
    That which has been is what will be,
    That which is done is what will be done,
    And there is nothing new under the sun.

yup

12. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

"You can't always get what you want." -- Mick Jagger

13. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

"Be wary of the bird that loves only their own song." Northwest Indian proverb

John Houlihan and Gary O'Dan like this.
  14. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

This thread is in the Faith and Religion Forum, so I choose this from the Bible as my favorite. The way I interpret #3 is explained better than I ever could (see below).

upload_2023-2-15_17-6-14.png

Holy Hatred: Hands that Shed Innocent Blood

The basic principle that underlies God’s hatred of shedding innocent blood is our tendency to injure others. And it is as possible to commit this sin with the heart as with the hands. If you harbor malice and bitterness in your heart and mind toward others, you are guilty of shedding innocent blood. It will manifest itself in hateful and bitter speech and writing. We gossip and backbite and slander those for whom we harbor hatred in our hearts.

-Stuart Chase, Associate Pastor, Brackenhurst Baptist Church, Alberton, South Africa

Bobby Cole and Faye Fox like this.
  15. John Houlihan

John Houlihan Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

“Make the world a better place.” - Teilhard de Chardin

This is one of my favorite guidelines for how to live, for what to believe, for how to make good choices, etc. It tells me when to keep my mouth shut, when to speak up, what charities to support, how to tolerate political differences, various religious beliefs, etc.

Bobby Cole likes this.