Favorite Penny Candy?

Discussion in 'Happy Talk' started by Diane Lane, May 12, 2016.

1. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, my mother used to love Blackjack. I don't see Blackjack around, but if I did I would buy it. Blackjack, Beeman's Pepsin, Clover gum, some of the old favorites are pretty hard to find now. If I saw them I would buy them. Now they have all this unique and fruity flavors, some of which are good, and some that are not. I was never a major Blackjack fan, but my mother liked it...so I have chewed plenty in my day. I really liked the Clover gum.

Krissttina Isobe and Diane Lane like this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Cracker Barrel carries Blackjack sometimes, as well as some other retro gums, including the ones you mention.

Last edited: May 14, 2016
  3. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

Among my favorites then, and still today are Atkinson's peanut butter bars and chicken sticks. Maple nut goodies and peanut rounders are favorites too.

4. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I love the Beeman's, Teaberry and clove gum, too @K E Gordon. I find them occasionally, but don't recall one store in particular that carries them. I have purchased them in the past on Amazon though, as well as some of the penny candy. I sometimes buy MaryJanes, too. I have always loved Sugar Babies, Sugar Mamas, and Sugar Daddies, as well. I love buttered popcorn when I go to the movies, but don't buy the candy, as it's so expensive, but when I was a kid, I would buy sno-caps, and still like them.

K E Gordon and Krissttina Isobe like this.
  5. K E Gordon

Registered

OH yeah,,,I used to love the big Sugar Daddy pops you used to be able to get for a nickle. They were so delicious. They are not that common anymore. I usually snap them up when I see them though. I found a Sugar Daddy Junior at a gas station market not too long ago. I haven't seen Sugar Babies or Sugar Mama's for ages. I have to confess though, I like Reese's Pieces better.

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  6. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  7. K E Gordon

Registered

An even better place to get that kind of candy is
    www.hometownfavorites.com/ It has candy broken down by the decade. So you can find the candy you liked by the decade. I forget how I first heard about that site, but I know they used to have things you can't get any more like Jello Whip and Chill and Jello 1.2, 3. We used to like Fizzies back in the day. I am going to have to look to see if they have them on that site.

8. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

Yeah Kits strawberry, Goobers chocolate covered peanuts, lollipops especially the red pink ones, Horlick's malted candy in the bottle and more were the kind of candies I like though some were more than a penny.

[​IMG]
    from http://thecandybaron.com/kits.html.

Ike Willis likes this.
  9. K E Gordon

Registered

One candy I liked back in the day was Bit O honey. They were more than a penny though. I think a little pack of them were like 5 cents. They were like honey flavored pieces of taffy with some kind of crunchy little bit in the center. The only kind of candy I really didn't like when I was a kid was 3 Musketeers. Someone gave me one once, and I spit it out. It was just way too sweet for my liking. I have had them since..still too much sugar.

10. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Speaking of black jellybeans, I remember, as a boy, I used to wet them with my tongue and draw a mustache on myself. I thought that was cool! ...sideburns, too!;) .....course my tongue was black, too!:eek:

Ike Willis and K E Gordon like this.
  11. Elaine Pickering

Elaine Pickering Veteran Member
    Registered

I absolutely loved Mary Janes ! I am still in love with that peanut butter flavor! On my way home from school (elementary years) my friends and I would stop by the corner store and each get 5cents worth of candy. Mine would ALWAYS be Mary Janes and/or Atomic Fireballs ! I'm not even sure that either of them is sold now......:(

K E Gordon likes this.
  12. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

I am ashamed to say that I used to steal Bits o Honey from the tiny store next to the laundromat where my mom used to do laundry. It only cost a penny or two and I have no idea why I didn't ask mom for the money. (I also think the store clerk knew I was stealing it, but never said a word to me).

13. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I don't recall it ever being a penny candy, since we just had the Bit O Honey bars, but I loved them. They were hard to chew though.

14. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

...they would cost a Bit-O-Money!

15. K E Gordon

Registered

Mary Jane's were pretty good, but I guess I didn't see them around as often, as some of the other candies. Oh another thing, that was kind of good were t chicken bones. The candy that had some kind of coating on the outside, kind of like what is on a Zagnut bar, kind of a crispy toasted coconut coating of some sort, a hard candy shell, and peanut butter in the inside. A good candy for sure!