Falsehoods We Were Told About Other Cultures.

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Ina I. Wonder, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

One time... and my parents still laugh at this, that China thing was pulled on lil' Mari and I said "Oh, okay, let's get a box and send this to them in the mail because I don't want it!" I guess I was always feisty. Some would say that's a good thing... but not many! :p

2. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

So that's why, Holly! I never could imagine how that rumor got started. In fact, I'm snacking on some Stilton as I speak!

Ina I. Wonder and Holly Saunders like this.
  3. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

Hi Mari,

I was told a few false stories, but the one that has wreaked havoc on my life the most, was fairytales. I still think I believe, at 63!! I mean, not seriously, but I mean somewhere in the back of my mind, I still thing this "fairytale" life is still going to unfold, lol;) Kind of sad, but I was given a gift of laughter too, so I don't take myself too seriously most of the time;) Good topic:) Denise

Mari North and Chrissy Cross like this.
  4. Mari North

Registered

I'm not sure I was under the impression of a lot of falsehoods as much as I learned others had them about America. I started running into it first-hand when I became fascinated with pen-palling.

Two instances in particular... no, three. First was the misconception that we're all rich (I think someone else mentioned this one as well.) And I was asked for money one time... with a letter about how much it would do for the gal in India while I didn't need it. Hmmm... and it was only $2 and I felt horrible about it for a long time. I was advised not to do it, though (I wanted to send $10 or $20) because as soon as I'd do that, it would never stop. Well pooh, it's been probably 35 years, and I STILL wish I'd sent it.

Second was a man in ... ooops, I forget. Jerusalem, yes... I remember the post card he sent me. He said he knew that as an American girl, I could get into "very dangerous trouble" for talking to a man. Kind of creepy feeling it gave me, so I never responded, but I should have said "Not unless you do something out of line and my daddy and three brothers find out." :D

But the third thing is funniest. It was a gal from a little island in the Pacific... and she was so taken with Americans. She had stars in her eyes and begged me to say hello for her the next time I passed Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton on the street. o_O

5. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

See, we all seem to have been told or come across a few falsehoods.

I can remember being told that all Russians wanted to leave their oppressed country. Even at 11, I knew that if every Russian wanted to leave they would only have to force there way threw whatever barrier might be in place. Much as today's Syrian's are doing, so I knew those grown ups weren't thinking with much common sense.

I admit that I wanted to believe in Santa Clause, but we didn't do holidays, not even Christmas except for church.

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  6. The only one I can think of: I was told full-blooded Native Americans (then known as Indians) would never accept anyone who was 'only part' Indian. I thought this was true when I stopped at a gift shop in Arizona while traveling many years ago, the people were very hostile. However, I've known a couple of full-bloods in recent years who did not have that attitude at all- plus I also have a longtime friend who's half Native American and lived for quite awhile on a reservation.

Ruby Begonia and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  7. Mari North

Registered

Denise... I have a newsflash of utmost importance for you. :D It can happen... I know. Don't you give up that fairy-tale dream.... they *do* come true, and it's not sad at all. So many people only wish they could have that quality!

And when you see that first star of the evening... go ahead and wish on it. I do... just might surprise ya!

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  8. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

I've worked in sub-Saharan Africa quite a lot and there is a lot of stereotyping, as indeed there is about just about everywhere. One of the common ones is that African people are lazy. I've seen no evidence of this during a number of years in Africa. When I lived in Eritrea, the temperatures were considered a bit cold if they got down to 30 Celsius. Try working outdoors when it's 40+ Celsius and 95% humidity.

I spent a lot of time training people in IT. Unquestionably, the people I trained in Africa were much more enthusiastic about coming to my courses than anyone has ever been in the UK. In Ghana, I had people travelling hours to Accra for a course and I wanted to let them get away at about four o'clock so they could get home and have some time in the evening. In the end, I was virtually throwing them out of the office at about half past six.

In Eritrea, we worked a six-day week, seven hours a day. That's longer hours than I've ever worked in Britain. Not much evidence of laziness there, I'd suggest.

Ruby Begonia and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  9. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I grew up with believing that the Catholic Church was the only true Church of God and started by Jesus Christ with the Apostle Peter the first Pope, that everybody who didn't belong to that Church was going to hell, and that the Virgin Mary never consumated her marriage with Joseph even after Jesus was born...or had other children. What a shock I got when I finally opened and read a Bible (which Catholics were also not allowed to do back then) and read the Truth. The one good thing that came out of all of this is that I no longer take anybody's word for anything unless they back it up with truth.

Bonnie Thomas and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  10. Denise Evans

Registered

Thanks Mari, I admit I still wish:) Especially when I am star-gazing. My new apartment has huge, picture windows. One faces West (the living room window) and the one in my bedroom faces East. It's really wonderful, and it's dreamy to lie in bed at night and gaze out onto the stars when it's clear. Which surprisingly (living on the Pacific Coast) is often;) Denise:)

11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have had some very good friends who were English, and who complained that the food in England is awful.

12. Denise Evans

Registered

That's interesting Ken, because I realize I've never heard of any British or English cuisine! I'm Welsh, on my dad's side, but don't recall any stories. But we have French cooking, Indian foods, Chinese, Polish sausage, but we need to find out from our British friends here, what's good over at your place;)?? I know they had figgy pudding in A Christmas Carol, and Rum Punch, yum!!

13. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

I have a friend who is from Edinburgh, but of Ukrainian descent. He once told me that the reason there are so many Scots of Ukrainian background is that Scotland was the only country in the world that could match Ukraine for stodgy food. It was, of course, a joke, but there was a point in there...

14. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

I am not sure what area of English food your friends were complaining of @Ken Anderson ? restaurants, home cooking or basic foodstuffs.

I personally don't think the food in the UK is any better or worse than many other countries, restaurant food has improved a lot over the past decade, and a lot of people do eat junk food and processed meals at home, we have a serious obesity problem caused by poor eating habits, but the quality of basic foods in the shops is excellent, and we produce some of the finest cheeses in the world.

In fact it's hard to say what is English food these days our main popular dish is the anglicised Indian curry and Indian restaurants far outnumber any other types in most towns. Our traditional meals would be Fish and Chips, Beef Sunday Roast and Cottage & Shepherd pie plus Bangers & Mash & Liver & Onions from my youth.

I personally cook my own meals from scratch usually vegetarian curries or stir frys. I use oven chips because they are 5% fat instead of deep fat fried ones which are 50%

Warning this post could make you hungry:rolleyes:

Our traditional meals

Sunday Roast

1.jpg

Fish & Chips

13.jpg

Chicken Tikka Masala

8.JPG
    Cottage Pie

9.jpg
    10.jpg

Cauliflower Cheese

7.jpg

Breakfast

12.jpg

Cornish Pasty
    3.jpg

Bangers & Mash

15.jpg

Liver & Onions

16.jpg

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  15. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

You can never get properly made English chips/fries abroad as they need to be double or triple fried, to get the soft inside with the crispy coating.
    The ones they produce here in Russia are pretty dire

Chips

14.jpg

French Fries
    4.jpg

Oven Chips

5.jpg

Crisps

11.jpg

Ruby Begonia and Chrissy Cross like this.