Fall Is In The Air

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Diane Lane, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Fall has barely arrived here in North Carolina other than the humidity lifted today and the temperature was very pleasant. Colors have only just begun and I suspect they won't be at their peak until the middle of October. 79 was our high today and a nice breeze…very nice.

Diane Lane and Carlota Clemens like this.
  2. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Happy Autumn, Everyone! I just got back from a nice walk. It's still warm here, too, but thankfully not nearly as humid, and not in the 90s. There was a lot of dew on the plants, it was pretty, glistening in the sunlight. I didn't make it out in time for sunrise, but it was still quite pleasant. I saw a deer being chased through the cemetery by a dog. I also saw some cardinals, an egret, and a woodpecker. I haven't checked my pictures yet, but hopefully I got some decent ones. I also saw our small neighborhood deer herd grazing in the corner field in the way home from the trails.

Lara Moss likes this.
  3. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Diane, you're last line reminded me of something. You won't believe this. One time I was sitting at a stoplight on the edge of town (Charlottesville VA). I looked to my right and it was a fenced pasture with a big black and white spotted cow. A baby fawn, with its little spots, was sucking on the cow's teet. I wished I'd had my camera with me. I didn't see the mother deer anywhere.

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It's a little early for deer hunting season, I think, except maybe for archery season. Still, the mom could have been killed on the road, leaving the fawn to fend for itself. If so, the fawn is quite resourceful.