Faith Of The Pilgrims

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Joe Riley, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

The Voyage that Made a Nation

"The Pilgrims arrived on these shores in 1620 in hopes of making a better life for themselves and their children while being able to worship freely and in peace. Undoubtedly the most famous colonists in world history, their faith and fortitude are legendary. Their perseverance laid the cornerstone of a new Nation. The Pilgrims' courage, gratitude to God, and love for one another still inspire people today. The story of Mayflower and her tumultuous trans-Atlantic crossing, Plymouth Colony- with its tragic first winter, treaty with the Wampanoag People and celebrated First Thanksgiving echoes down the ages and around the world. Regardless of anything that came before or after, Plymouth is the 'once upon a time' to the story of the United States -- the symbolic, if not literal, birthplace of our Nation. "

In describing the emotional worship service before the Pilgrim church's departure from Holland, Governor William Bradford wrote that Reverend John Robinson:

[​IMG]

"…spent a good part of the day very profitably and suitable to their present occasion; the rest of the time was spent pouring out prayers to the Lord with great fervency, mixed with abundance of tears. And the time being come that they must depart, they were accompanied with most of their brethren out of the city, unto a town sundry miles off called Delftshaven, where the ship lay ready to receive them. So they left that goodly and pleasant city which had been their resting place near twelve years; but they knew they were pilgrims, and looked not much on those things, but lift up their eyes to the heavens, their dearest country, and quieted their spirits."

Bobby Cole and Beatrice Taylor like this.
  2. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

We should never forget that it was also the beginning of the end for another proud nation.

[​IMG]

Bobby Cole likes this.
  3. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, they came to these shores seeking religious freedom and then proceeded to suppress and persecute those who practiced other religions and those who chose not to practice any. Those persecuted were Catholics, Jews, French Huguenots, and Quakers, to name a few, including some of their own who dared to question the practice.

In January 16, 1786, that the General Assembly passes a bill written by Thomas Jefferson, The Bill for Establishing Religious Freedom, which cut the connection between Church and State.

Thomas Jefferson's famous quote: "It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."

4. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

In addition to the usual Thanking of the Lord for a Bountiful Thanksgiving, I will be saying Grace for the following contributors this time:

The Turkey Ranchers, the Crop Farmers, the Winemakers and the Producers of all the other Foods that make a traditional Thanksgiving dinner.

The Truckers and all others who transport the Thanksgiving Food Products to our local Markets.

The Wholesale and Retail Food Stockers and Sales Clerks who provide the items to us for our purchase.

The Home Chefs and Cooks who spend hours Preparing and Serving the Thanksgiving Feast for our Tables.

God Bless these REAL PEOPLE who provide for our Thanksgiving Tables!

Happy Thanksgiving to you all,

Hal and Judy

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  5. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I Japanese, they begin with "Itadakimasu". I was taught that this meant "I gratefully partake" but here is the explanation:

https://www.tofugu.com/japanese/itadakimasu-meaning/

and they end a meal (formally) with "Gochisosama" which I was taught meant "I thank all who made this meal possible" which meant everyone from seed merchants, to farmers, to retail and wholesale food sellers, to cooks and kitchen help, and even included the garbage collector who carried the waste away. Here is the explanation:

http://www.iromegane.com/japan/culture/the-real-meaning-of-gochisosama/

I, too, believe that is good to thank not only God, but all the humans that were involved in the meal.

6. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered