Facebook

Discussion in 'Notices & Announcements' started by Ken Anderson, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

2. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't have a Facebook account but I'm curious to know it's working for @Ken Anderson? Have they found out what happened?

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Apparently, they had a problem. A glitch. I have no idea what it was but it's working now.

4. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

We here in Colorado River Country, called the "Tri-State" Area, have a spin-off of Facebook called "Laughlin Buzz". Folks worldwide who often travel to Laughlin correspond there, my wife included. Some are nonchalantly happy to share their names and locations, but my wife does not. The Buzz admin, Scott Johnson, a seemingly fair and equitable man, holds my wife in high regard for her frequent contributions to the site. She takes interesting images as we walk the river. But wants no part of the notoriety. That, I'm pleased about.

Scott often schedules meetings of members locally, and my wife "squirms" her way out, not wishing to become physically involved.

What do others think? Try looking at "Laughlin Buzz", see what you think.
    Frank

5. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

Looks like over 12,000 members @Frank Sanoica I don't know if I would join a local group in my area. I don't even have my location on my facebook. My last name is not super common but common enough that if you input my name in facebook, many people sharing my first and last name show up. Which is good I guess. If I put my last name on my birth certificate in it would be much more unusual.

6. Ken Anderson

I am having trouble with Facebook again today. I can log into it but I can't check notifications or respond to messages.

Frank, I think the idea of a local Facebook is a good thing. The platform upon which Facebook sits is in the public domain so it wouldn't be hard to set up a Facebook-like site, the problem would be whatever amount of resources if might require. Locally, even with thousands of members, it probably wouldn't overtask a normal hosting plan but there would be a cost involved for anyone wanting to compete with Facebook.

7. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Kitty Carmel @Ken Anderson
    When my wife joined the "Laughlin Buzz", about 5 or 6 years ago, there were a scant couple hundred members or so. It's grown now to thousands, folks located around the globe, who seem to revere the Laughhlin resort area as a "2nd. Vegas", without the big-city hassles. People in Europe routinely fly here often, preferring it to Vegas, though they must fly into Vegas, to come down here, 110 miles to the south.

We feel deeply privileged to have been able to settle down here. Back to the present, my wife refrains from using her real name or our location in this Facebook spinoff. She still distrusts the "open attitudes" prevalent on the internet. The Buzz Admin really would like her to become involved in administration of it. We've met him and talked; he and his wife seem like "real people". Still, we are reluctant.
    Frank

8. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Strange things are happening on Facebook. :(

I was on it for awhile today then got off. Later when I went back to check something Facebook had locked my account because of some strange activity going on there. I had posted a picture of my daughter and I having lunch together right before they locked my account. Then they asked me to identify myself by picking one of four methods which I can't remember. But I chose to identify who my friends were in the pictures they put up. After I did that correctly I had to make a new password before Facebook would open my page for me.

We are now entering the Twilight Zone...:eek:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    Frank Sanoica likes this.
  9. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

The Russians did it. :p

Tom Galty and Frank Sanoica like this.
  10. Ken Anderson

In the left margin, Facebook now allows people to add links to their Facebook page.

facebook-link.png

11. Ken Anderson

If anyone from the forum is going to send me a Facebook friend request, please let me know in advance, particularly if your Facebook name differs from the one you use here, because I receive a lot of friend requests from fake accounts, some from people who probably don't even exist, and I suspect I also receive requests from people who are solely interested in trying to get me banned from Facebook. I don't know what it's all about, but I think a lot people get these things.

I am not encouraging you to friend me on Facebook. That's not what this is about, although I will approve anyone from the forum, and I suppose it might be handy if you should lose access to the forum or want to know what's going on if the forum should be down for any length of time. I don't care whether you friend me on Facebook or not, as that's completely up to you, but I delete so many of the requests that are made that I don't want anyone thinking that it's something personal when, in fact, I simply didn't associate your request with your SENIORSonly Club account.

Craig Wilson and Von Jones like this.
  12. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I try and stay away from FB most of the time. If you get request from me ,it is a fake ;)

13. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I read and use Facebook but I am definitely a neophyte. This weekend I think I was successful in creating a new group called
    RESIDENTS CHAT. It's open to anyone but mean't primarily for those of us living in Assisted Living not only where I live, but elseware as well. To access----go to Facebook and under Groups search RESIDENTS CHAT.

14. Ken Anderson

Every now and then, I would take out a Facebook ad for the forum, using the options to limit advertising to specific (English-speaking) countries and to people fifty and older. I wouldn't spend much doing this, usually $10 for a run of a couple of days, sometimes extending it for another couple of days. When it looked like we were going to lose a couple of our more prolific members a week or so ago, I signed up for an ad run on Facebook and was turned down, although I had taken out similar ads a couple of dozen times before. It seems that Facebook has noticed that we restrict membership to people fifty and older, and that is considered age discrimination, which they do not allow. It's not a big deal, but I thought it was kind of funny given the groups that advertise there regularly.

We can still have our page and we can post stuff there about threads and so on, but they won't take our money in advertising.

Craig Wilson and Lois Winters like this.
  15. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh, for heaven's sake, FB really frosts me at times with its stupid nitpicking.

Craig Wilson likes this.