Facebook Is Being Sued

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Avigail David, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Avigail David

Avigail David Veteran Member
    Registered

Palestinian incitement calling for stabbing and knife-wielding-killing of Jews has reached through out the social media. Facebook allows this? Disgusting! And absolutely appalling.

As Facebook users, how can we join the action lawsuit with other 20,000+ people against Facebook. We can spread the news demanding Facebook and other major social media giants such as, Twitter, Yahoo and YouTube to remove posts of incitement calling for violence against Israeli Jews.
    http://honestreporting.com/lawyer-suing-facebook-social-media-has-social-responsibility/

*The Times of Israel News http://blogs.timesofisrael.com/palestinian-incitement-exposed/

Brittany Houser likes this.
  2. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

You can't yell "fire" in a crowded theater. "Freedom of speech" doesn't mean "freedom to incite" the rabble.

3. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I agree about the difference of the freedom of expression and inciting to a radical action. We have the so called militants here who are quick to act when issues arise. Just yesterday, they held a march to commemorate the killing of a transgender by an american soldier named Pemberton. They want justice. The march was attended by just a few, less than a hundred. That's the style of those militants, they fight for the cause no matter what cause as long as there is a cause.

With Facebook, we are now experiencing a paradigm shift, from the gossips and rumors in the marketplace, those snippets of lies are now being spread in Facebook. So many posts were shared but when you ask for confirmation, they would simply reply... nothing to lose. Huh, nothing to lose when you spread lies? But anyway, I'm sure that move to sue Facebook will just be thrown to the trash can.

Ike Willis likes this.
  4. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

The problem is social media websites like Facebook get tons of things written on them per day. So, they have a hard time keeping track of it and moderating it. We aren't just talking about killing of Jews being discuss there but other dangerous behavior, such as the individual who recently opened fire on a university campus creating disturbing post before he carried this out. I can understand why some would want to file the lawsuit, but I don't know how far they will get, the thing is social media has become open mecca for this sort of thing and these websites depending on how they worded their terms and conditions may be able to say they aren't liable. But at the same token it might be time for more moderation of these websites, although it might be hard to keep track of it all.

Ike Willis likes this.
  5. Ike Willis

Registered

There must be something contagious going around. Just a day ago we all got a copy of our building's newsletter. Our manager warned us about all the "high school drama", rumors and name calling being done by certain residents. There's even been talk among some residents about killing the pets of other residents. I think applicants for apartments here need better screening, but that won't happen under our current administration.
    I haven't heard any of the drama talk going around, because I don't associate with many of these people. One of the few I do talk with has hinted a few times that I may be one of the subjects of some of this talk.
    In the past, I've avoided advances made by a few of the building's belles. When you do that, you're automatically labeled as gay. Believe me, I'm anything but gay. I was married 18 years. Now, I love my solitude.
    So, if Facebook can be sued because of some of the posts of it's users, maybe some of the victims of the talk going around in my building can do likewise. That might be worth a look.

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Years ago, before Algore invented the Internet, I ran a computer BBS. Since BBS forums were very much like Internet forums, concerns about libel would come up from time to time. The prevailing advice then was that if your BBS forum was moderated, there was a greater probability of a libel suit resulting from libelous statements made by forum members but, in an unmoderated forum, people were responsible for their own statements, not the forum owners who simply provided a venue. In other words, if a forum owner were to moderate some posts, then there was a responsibility for him to moderate any potentially libelous statements that are made. Using that same principle, Facebook does moderate its content, we know, because they regularly remove content that they consider to be inappropriate or offensive, generally conservative political statements or anti-Islam posts, so they would have a greater liability.

7. Ike Willis

Registered

I did some research and found contact info for a couple lawyers in my area who handle libel and defamation cases. I may drop a few hints about that in hopes it will stop some of the rumors and gossip, among other things.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  8. Avigail David

Avigail David Veteran Member
    Registered

Nevertheless, Facebook moderators and owner must take and face up to their responsibility to not agree and not shake hands with Palestinian call of incitement for violence against Israeli Jews. Otherwise, we, who witness what's been happening in Israel would be accomplices in the historical hatred of Jews.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  9. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

:oops:I was unaware of the terrible sentiments towards people on facebook. There was nothing on the news about it too that I'm aware of. I researched it and you know what? I'd be really frightened if there was a facebook page against my nationality too. It seems sad that facebook would allow the kind of page to exist on their site. Should facebook be allowed to keep the page...one has to wonder if facebook is being forced to keep such a page on their site, for no one likes racist type of information on their site. It shall be very interesting to see what unfolds to the lawsuit too.

Avigail David likes this.
  10. Brittany Houser

Brittany Houser Veteran Member
    Registered

Honestly Ken, out of all those words of wisdom, the phrase, ..."Algore invented the internet..." leapt out at me more than anything else you said! LOL