Facebook, Good Time Or Big Yawn?

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Ruby Begonia, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Linda Binning

Linda Binning Veteran Member
    Registered

Facebook does have walls. I am on there and have about 80 friends, mostly family and people I have known in the past, like old church friends. I'm also in some Facebook groups. One that posts jokes and then some local Facebook groups. One where we list things for sale or to give away. One is local for things like a tree falling across a road or a horse or goat in the street. I feel like I posted all this before. I hope this wasn't one of many pages and I've posted this before.

Ruby Begonia and Chrissy Cross like this.
  2. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

I have several Facebook accounts I have accumulated over the years, simply because when someone informs me they have posted photos on there, I can never remember my login details.
    I have never ever posted anything on Facebook and I see them as a poor form of forum.
    In saying that I know a lot of people use them to keep in touch with friends and family, especially for photographs.
    I also have an account somewhere with "LinkedIn" and "Myspace" but that may have died out by now.;)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
    Ruby Begonia and Chrissy Cross like this.
  3. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

I love facebook and have many things going on at my pages. There's Nala the cat that helps other cats, Lil Bug is there too, met my cousin and we communicate once in a while, communicate with legislature for concerns and have a lot of fun marketing my e-books and printed books too, so I love my facebook. Though some nut tried to use my facebook name and do mischief and login places differ which I'm working together with facebook to straighten out both problems. There are games too from local companies that use facebook as the place to enter contests too, which is fun...I didn't win yet, lol!

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  4. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

Krissttina, you use it well! I don't have anything going that would benefit from Facebook.

5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I am on a closed seniors forum on there. It's just members from my first forum about 12 yrs ago. It was a big forum called "Wired Seniors" and after a few years it just closed without warning. It was getting too nasty with politics. Most of the members went different ways to different forums but a few years ago we all kind of ended up on a forum started by a member from WS. This is the admin who died that I mentioned in my "Ike" post. After he died someone started the WS forum on Facebook. We just chat a little every day.

Would you believe I've known about 40 people who have died in these past 12 years from that first forum.
    There have also been about 4 or 5 people who met on that original forum and actually married.

Linda Binning and Ruby Begonia like this.
  6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

image.jpg This is the group on Facebook....

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  7. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm on Facebook. It's one of the ways I also keep up with my sisters and their families and my children, etc. My best friend lives in El Salvador so we share photos mostly through FB. She has long wanted to be a Granny like me and our prayers were finally answered in this as right around Christmas time of 2015 her only child and his wife had a baby girl. My friend will turn 65 this month and she is thrilled to finally be a Granny!

What I like about FB is the variety of groups and people that have FB sites. I play some online games through FB like Scrabble, Yahzee, and the Word game. Right now I read Donald Trump's FB site and a view others that interest me. What I don't do is see how many friends I can collect. Some I know on FB have hundreds or more friends...but FB's definition of friends is not mine at all. I think I actually use the private messaging on FB more than I do the posting section. FB is not a Forum to me...it is more like a bulletin board where I post some updates and photos of my life for my family and close friends only.

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Been on FB for some 5 years now and enjoy it. Mostly "friends" with SIL/family and classmates I graduated from high school with. Actually, a classmate started a FB page for an upcoming Class Reunion, and in order to see the page, had to become a member. My wife and I share the page as I have a photo of her and I together and the page is under our first names and last name. I don't post much, but do like to put on a photo under "Throwback Thursday" and "Flashback Friday" sometimes. I know what to and what not to post of FB and never, ever say actual dates when we are going on vacation or on vacation. I have the FB App on my iPhone6, so don't have to be on a computer too see what's happening on the site.

My Space and Twitter seems to be a lot of kids. Facebook seems to be much more for the older clan.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
    Ruby Begonia likes this.
  9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I only have 69 friends on FB.

Off topic, Babs but my brother was born in San Salvador. My dad was on a job there when my mom got pregnant.

I was left in Argentina with my grandparents and favorite uncle because everyone thought it would be better. After a year though my father was offered a job in the US. So they went with my brother. I would be sent for. Of course I was allowed into the states but my grandparents weren't. Quotas. It took a few years and my mom side of the story was that my grandmother said it would kill her if they took me without them.

So, I really didn't know my parents til age 3-4.

My mom had me in South America, my brother in Central America and my youngest sisters in North America.:)

Ruby Begonia and Babs Hunt like this.
  10. Chrissy Cross

Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh , except for teenagers, I see many young adults on Facebook. Not just on my page but all of Facebook.

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  11. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

My best friend was born right here in Louisiana. In adulthood she sold real estate and learned much about this field. When her parents both died around the same time she inherited a chunk of change and decided to invest some of it in vacation rental homes. But everything is so expensive here in the States. So she ended up finding a place right across from the beach in a good section of El Salvador, now she owns the beach property in front of her home too. The place she bought had a big house and separate servants quarters. It was all run down but had great bones and labor is cheap over there so she had everything redone and made the servants quarters into an apartment for herself while she rents out the home to vacationers from all over. Besides the beach right there, she also has an inground pool, etc. for her guests. She comes back to the States a couple of times a year and we get together when we can. She's one of those wonderful friends who may not see for long periods of time...but the moment you get together again...it was like you were never apart.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  12. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

My goodness @Chrissy Page what an interesting history!

I have 15 FB friends comprised of 1son, 1 cousin and real life friends with a few co workers. I guess we're all a boring lot because 95% of what I get are shares from their OTHER friends who had changed their profile or linked to some other place. I am the worst of all, I don't post anything!

13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Sounds like an awesome deal. Even when my mom was there back in 1952, it was cheap. She had a servant and a nanny for my brother. If my father wasn't offered that great job in the US, I might have grown up there. I think though that my parents goal was to move to the US. My Father's first job in the US in 1953, he was paid $1,000 a month and that was pretty good back then.

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

@Ruby Begonia , thanks, I did have an interesting start to life.

My page tends to have the same shares on it just by different people. I do get a lot of political posts from both sides but I never like any of those since I have liberals and conservatives in my family. :)

I do have a forum friend from Canada that can post some very X rated stuff so I have to keep an eye on his posts. If he posts it on my timeline I delete it.

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  15. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Ok, edited it out.:D