Facebook Control Of Posts

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Martin Alonzo, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

Trump has stated in the past that using these tweets was the only way the American people could hear the true story on a daily basis since the mainstream media was so untruthful in its reporting of him.

Tom Galty and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The tweets have worked well for him. While some people are annoyed by them and traditional politicians wish he wouldn't do that, he is communicating directly with potential voters and manipulating the media into giving him free air time, as he did as a candidate in 2016. Yes, the media coverage is 98% negative, but the media has gone so far over the top in their attacks that there aren't enough people who believe them anymore and those who don't give Trump a win every time he's attacked.

Lois Winters likes this.
  3. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

I would like to see the following Social Media groups shut down:

Facebook
    Twitter
    InstaGram
    Linkedin

Are there others I missed? Then kill them too!

Hal

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    Thomas Stearn likes this.
  4. Tom Galty

Tom Galty Veteran Member
    Registered

Would hate to lose Facebook.

All my groups are closed groups.

Nobody can see are posts on these unless a member.

Also when in America can use my I pad to phone the UK.....,. FREE

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I really enjoy Facebook also, and spend more time looking at the newsgroups, and other groups that I belong to, than I will spend doing anything else on there.
    I don’t like the unfair censorship, but it is a privately owned website, so they can do whatever they want to do, I guess.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    Lois Winters and Tom Galty like this.
  6. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

Are you being contrarian today????

Tom Galty and Yvonne Smith like this.
  7. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't use any of those so I couldn't care less about them. If you don't have any interest then stay away, but don't push your agenda on other people. Apparently millions of people enjoy the sites so why would they be shut down?

8. Yvonne Smith

The latest news report is that one of the Republican billionaires has bought enough Twitter stocks that he may be able to change the CEO of Twitter, and if so, he would make changes that would make Twitter a whole lot more favorable to conservatives, and to our President.

D67C846A-5FF1-4C5E-9D3C-671EBBCF6D21.jpeg

9. Ken Anderson

He was actually a Never-Trumper who has come around partway, at least.

10. Patricia Peebles

Patricia Peebles Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yes, I heard this too.

11. Yvonne Smith

Facebook has started closing down any groups that are for Trump supporters, especially the Qanon groups. They have now also started basically a policing group called an “oversight board”, made up of anti-Trump members; so it is easy to see where this is going.
    Anything that is against the authorized mainstream news viewpoint is going to be removed from Facebook, and probably also from Twitter, although they seem to be doing better than Facebook for allowing people to express their opinions.

I have joined two alternative social media groups, where some of the Twitter and Facebook people are now setting up a new platform.
    Gab is similar to Twitter, and is easy to join, is free for the basic membership, and also has an app. Another one , called MeWe , is where a lot of Facebook groups are moving to, and you can also have a free basic membership there, which seems to be enough for most people, or at last it is good enough for me.
    There is an app for this one, too.
    I recommend checking one or both of these out, and maybe making an account , because if nothing changes, we will be losing more and more of the conservative accounts on both Facebook and Twitter.

https://trendingpolitics.com/breaki...rsight-board-it-s-chock-full-of-trump-haters/

Tom Galty and Lois Winters like this.
  12. Ken Anderson

I joined MeWe once, as well as a couple of other Facebook alternatives but, since no one I knew was there, there wasn't much of a point in it. The thing that Facebook has is people. That is where I stay in touch with family members, former students, co-workers, and neighbors.

Lois Winters and Yvonne Smith like this.
  13. Yvonne Smith

I also use Facebook for keeping in touch with my family and friends, and I will continue to do that. There should not be any problem with facebook for just normal family/friends visiting.
    The thing that is likely to change would be the groups and facebook pages that are pro-Trump, and since many of those are already making accounts elsewhere, once they are in place, they will just move completely to the new platform if Facebook or Twitter blocks or deletes them.

Another topic that social media is likely to be blocking (and seems to have already started doing that), is vaccines. If you try to join any group where people discuss vaccines, you will get a warning, and they try to send you to the CDC instead.
    What people are doing, is mis-spelling words that could be considered “trigger” words, like writing “va@@ines” instead of spelling it out correctly. Putting links in comments also helps, as opposed to just posting the link right in the main thread of the topic, or putting the information in a meme. Things like this make it harder for the fact-checker bots to see what you are posting.

14. Ken Anderson

Definitely, the plan is to enlist the primary forms of social media toward electing Democrats, as they did during the last election year. You're right, though, it's the whole agenda, and anything they perceive as being anti-vaccine will be censored, as we've already seen that.

I would think there would be a market for a neutral platform to replace Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube, but most of the alternatives are conservative, and I don't simply have so much time to waste that I want to discuss conservative issues with conservatives whom I don't know.

15. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

I just deleted my MEWE account because there has been a stream of requests that from people who only want to show me their sexual parts.