Extreme Profanity On Netflix & Amazon Films

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Lon Tanner, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

What's going on? You not only hear the profanity but you read it as well with the Closed Captioning. I listen and am shocked to hear Major Film Stars using what surely must be dubbed in speech. I am no prude by a long shot but it bugs me to hear some one like Gene Hackman using language like he is some black dude from the ghetto.

2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Lon Tanner
    P.C. going nuts.

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I haven't noticed it being added to old films, but I have noticed a lot of gratuitous bad language in recent shows, including those that were made for Netflix. When appropriate, I am not offended by bad language by those who could be expected to use such language. I mean, I don't expect serial killers and rapists to talk like Sunday School teachers but it seems that a lot of the language is put there simply because they can, and there's more of it in the movies than I hear in public.

I have been watching an HBO comedy, Silicon Valley, which I think would be a better show without all of the penis jokes and bad language, and it seems that they are putting a lot of that stuff in to keep the Middle Schoolers interested, and I don't know that they would be their target audience.

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We don't like the language at all, but have to agree with Ken about how some of it is just appropriate for the movie. My wife loves John Travolta, but his movie To Paris With Love, has him saying a lot of the old "f" word.

Hey, Lon, better watch bringing the "race" thing into your thread here. Somebody won't like it. You know how it is today. As for myself, I know what you mean, but that's me.

5. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I have talked about this before...uncalled for cursing sows a lack of vocabulary and literacy ...to me.
    There is ..as stated before a time, place and art to cursing.
    Just for instance...I tuned into Goliath on Netflix, because like Thortons acting some and was looking for something new.
    In less than 5 mintues the F bomb was used enough to turn me and the program off. It loses 'the punch and purpose' when repeated so often.
    Can't remember name of movie but years ago watched good movie and in the end the guy was going off a cliff in his truck...clearly not going to survive...just as he goes over ...Oh S!#:;! That folks is perfect timing of a curse word:D

6. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

Cursing, violence, nudity, sex, etc... doesn't bother me at all as long as it fits logically into a storyline or plot.

I do find it tedious when it is constant and seems to be targeted at a 13-year-old male audience.

7. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I hate gratuitous violence or bad language...I really hate it...

Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  8. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Watching a movie / show or even listening to music is a sort of escape for me. An escape from reality, as it were, to watch and or listen to something that doesn’t marry the world I already live in.

As it is today, I expect foul language and cringe when I hear it but nonetheless, I expect it from both males and females especially in the area where we reside.
    I do not live in a PC world and to slide over it as Cody might suggest would be the proper ostrich with its head in the sand. The area where we reside is predominantly black and Hispanic and to say the overall language is a show in good vocabulary would be preposterous!
    It’s not, and sadly I expect it but do not wish to have it travel forth into the imaginary world of a movie.

I live in a very distasteful world and to watch a movie that emulates or even compounds that world is utterly unacceptable to me.
    Yes, there are some places in a good script where a curse cannot be replaced with gosh or darn, but to have it overrun by a show of stupidity via massive cursings and more sex than plot is a slight against what could be an enjoyable experience.
    If a 90 minute movie can be rendered down to a 30 minute episode by removing the vulgarity and sex, it’s not a good script or at least, not to me.

By the bye, we canceled Netflix. Other than a few documentaries, Netflix has turned into a circus of idiocy.

9. Holly Saunders

Registered

I so agree with you @Bobby Cole . I live in a completely different environment to the one you describe, and I'm simply not used to hearing bad language and seeing violence around me ..I don't feel it's entertainment on any level.

I was raised in a city, albeit a long time ago..I'm well aware of violence and foul language,. if I wanted to view it I need only drive 30 minutes to the downtown rundown areas of the nearest large towns where it's prevalent ... I don't, because it stresses me .

Bobby Cole likes this.
  10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Even though Jacksonville is around 40% black, the area we live in is pretty descent for language. Now, there are other parts of Jacksonville that I'd think would be totally different, like the northside, northwest side and west side. People can get rather rowdy in those areas.

11. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Cody just reminded me of a movie I loved when I was much younger.
    “West Side Story”

There was no doubt through the clothes they wore and the way they acted that there were young hoodlums in the storyline and part of the plot. But notice, there didn’t have to be massive sex and cursing to convey that.
    I’ll bet if there were a Netflix remake it would be a half hour longer just because of the sex scenes and extra language.

12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Funny, we were watch a "supposedly" sex scene on the last episode of Shades of Blue. One of the black detectives met a nice looking white girl at a hospital. They talked and the next scene was them standing by a river in New York, where they ended up kissing. Next scene...….they were at her (?) place and she was taking off his shirt. Next is what folks would have thought to be a short sex scene, BUT, the girl reached under a pillow and grabbed a gun. She was hired to kill this cop, but he got the best of her and it didn't happen.

IOW, a sex scene gone wrong! Funny as heck.

13. Holly Saunders

Registered

We put on a huge extravaganza production of West Side story in my last year at school... it was fantastic...I was playing in the orchestra not on stage.. but the Assemble hall where our stage was, was packed with parents who came to see it... people still talk of that today, and there was no bad language in it at all...Fab !!

Bobby Cole likes this.
  14. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

@Bobby Cole - West Side Story ! You would still love it Bobby, give it another spin, I watch it every year
    not only is the storyline superb but the music soars right through you ! It will lift yer spirit on a cold wintry night !
    I won't use the word 'fab' but amazing it is !

Bobby Cole likes this.
  15. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

hummmmm......To analyze the character of Natalie Wood as “Maria”, no she too would not have said fab (or amazing) but would probably utter a “that’s super” or even a “it’s so keen”!
    I shudder to think what would be written into a script today!

Patsy Faye likes this.