Extra Money Online

Discussion in 'Self Employment' started by Juan Ortega, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens Veteran Member
    Registered

@Corie Henson - I hope you don't mind my asking, but what writing site are you using? I've been let down by so many of them lately that I don't know which to try any more.

2. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

Making money online was simply the continuation of my making money from home experience while being still offline.

I was never good at finding the right job and stay there for longer. I wanted to be a writer, but life was taking me through a different pathway; through my student years I learned a second language, technical drawing, shorthand, typing, and the basics of research marketing as complementary knowledge for professional career in the hospitality industry, but never thought that I would end up running a small home-based business for almost ten years before coming online.

So that once on the Information Superhighway, the only I did was applying what Iearned from my offline activities into my new online projects, and most of my income comes from online money-making tasks or projects.

Ruth Belena likes this.
  3. Sarah Price

Sarah Price Veteran Member
    Registered

You could try www.blogmutt.com. They are a site that caters to small businesses that need blog posts. They have quite a few companies, although many require a good amount of expertise. Not all do though. The site pays weekly for each blog post you sell. 8 bucks a piece. There is a one question test to answer before they will allow you to become a writer. I don't think it's going to bring in hundreds of dollars, but now I'm getting into a little bit of a groove where I sell about a story a week. If I wrote more I could probably do better, but I'm trying to pace myself.

Michael Stewart likes this.
  4. Michelle Stevens

Registered

Thanks for the suggestion Sarah. Unfortunately Blogmutt is one of many sites that only hires people from the United States.

I've never had much faith in my ability to sell articles and actually prefer to publish under my own name at places like HubPages, but over the last few months I've been looking for a site where I can earn money for the kind of content I used to write for Bubblews, but all those sites either prove to be scams or close down because they can't afford to pay the rates they offered.

Sarah Price likes this.
  5. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

Corie Henson likes this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
    Corie Henson and Diane Lane like this.
  7. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Thanks, Ken, it's good to see some payment proof, not that I wouldn't have believed you without it. I recently started using Qmee, which I believe is similar to Bing Rewards, but I'm not sure how the two would stack up against one another. I tend to use Google more than Bing, when I do searches. Qmee will occasionally pop up on the search page and show a few links to click if I want, with an amount paid for each one. I wish they would all stay there, so I could click one after the other, but I'm usually only able to click one or two before they disappear. It's definitely not a way to earn a lot of money, but hopefully eventually, there'll be enough to buy something with, or put on a bill.

I'm going to check into YouGov, since it sounds legitimate. @Ken Anderson I have a question. Do the gift cards/certificates have your name on them/associated with them? In other words, can someone sign up with a pen name, or does it have to be their legal name? Thanks.

8. Ken Anderson

Thank you. I see that I had inadvertently linked to the Bing Rewards program rather than to YouGov in my post above. I have corrected that. I have actually done much better with Bing Rewards than I have with YouGov but, of course, I complete only about one survey a week, whereas I conduct searches using Bing all day, pretty much every day. Apart from the gift cards, I have found Bing to provide better results than Google, and far better than any others that I have tried. Since searches are a big part of what I do for a living, I wouldn't use Bing if it wasn't efficient.

Through YouGov, the card itself doesn't have my name on it but it is mailed through the Postal Service, so YouGov does have to have your address. The card is like the ones you can buy at the grocery store; there is a code on the back of it that you would enter into your Amazon.com account. I don't know why a fictitious name wouldn't work but I haven't tried that, so I can't tell you for sure. The gift cards that I get from Bing are strictly online; after redeeming them, I am sent the code via email.

You're not going to earn a living through either one of these programs but, between the two, I get two or three hundred dollars a year in gift cards.

My wife gets mostly political surveys, which is what I prefer, but the surveys they offer me are mostly product identification. I do get an occasional political survey but I generally get cut off right after I answer that I am not registered with either political party, and that I don't closely identify with any of the major political parties. Although I get cut off there, I still get the full credit for having done the survey but I wouldn't mind answering the questions about the political candidates and their issues.

Diane Lane likes this.
  9. Diane Lane

Registered

Thanks, Ken, I noticed that about the Bing Rewards link, but forgot to mention it, since I was focused on the YouGov issue. I don't mind a slow payer, as long as it does pay, and doesn't require more work than is worth the pay. I have been considering signing up for the Bing Rewards, but I think it required creating some sort of new account, or signing up through Facebook or another social media account, which I try not to do. I especially don't like my Facebook account linked to anything, since that's my refuge. I'll do the YouGov today and then worry about the Bing Rewards later, since I already have Qmee. I'll try to remember to see if I can find information on how the two compare. I receive mail here at the house for people who haven't lived here in at least 8 years, so I guess it wouldn't matter if I used the pen name on the YouGov account.

10. Ken Anderson

Since Bing is owned by Microsoft (used to be MSN Search), you would sign in using your Microsoft account.

Diane Lane likes this.
  11. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I have joined YouGov just recently. I get a lot of political surveys as well and I get quite a few of them through the day. I'm not near to getting GCs yet but seeing your proof of payment Ken is very encouraging. Thanks.

Michael Stewart and Diane Lane like this.
  12. Diane Lane

Registered

Yes, that's what it was. I don't think I have a Microsoft account, although I may have created one years ago when I bought this or another computer. Is Microsoft as intrusive as Google?

13. Ken Anderson

It tries to figure out what you are interested in so that it can give you better results, but it's not nearly as annoying as Google. If you ever registered a Microsoft product, you have a Microsoft account, but it's easy enough to create one. I can't remember now if I created a new one or had it resend my password for the old one, but if it had been too much of a pain, I'd remember.

Diane Lane likes this.
  14. Diane Lane

Registered

I'm not getting nearly as many Qmee links to click as I'd expected, so I might end up signing up for the Bing Rewards and seeing how that compares for myself. I do a lot of searches, but the Qmee links are few and far between. Maybe I'm searching on things they don't care about, so it may not be as 'rewarding' as I'd hoped.

15. Michelle Stevens

Registered

After months of frustration during which I saw one writing site after another go down the drain without paying their members, I finally found the courage to start my own blog, writing about my bonsai trees. It's still only got two posts, but hopefully I'll be able to come up with a couple of new things do discuss every week.

I'm using a site called BlogJob which pays members for their posts and other activity as well as allowing us to monetize our blogs with affiliate advertising, AdSense etc, so I've already made a little money despite the fact that my ads haven't earned anything yet. I'm a bit nervous about the fact that I'm using a lesser-known site, but hopefully it will work out okay.

Diane Lane likes this.