Extended Weekend In Paris With My Daughter

Discussion in 'Travel & Vacation' started by Julie Stewart, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Julie Stewart

Julie Stewart Veteran Member
    Registered

I had planned to go to Paris on Friday afternoon and stay until Sunday evening. But we're having intermittent national strikes here in France and train services on Friday and Sunday were very limited and at SILLY O'CLOCK in the morning.

So I went on Thursday afternoon and came home to Epernay on Monday evening.

Sorrel and I had a super time. Mainly chatting and drinking either coffee/tea or wine/cheese depending on the time of day....

I love Paris for short periods and even in the midst of strikes which has produced mini-hills of rubbish (refuse) on the streets, it is still a lively, lovely city.

On Saturday night we watched the football (Euro 2016 is underway for those of you who may not follow the game) and rugby in an English-run pub called "The Cock and Bulldog". The cockerel is a symbol of France and the bulldog of Britain. It was a great atmosphere (I was the oldest there by a long margin and got lots of hugs and fuss and an armchair!) The news of the violence in Marseilles after the England vs Russia match put a dampener on things.

By midday on Sunday we emerged to the news coming out of Orlando. We had planned to go to a brocante (flea market/jumble sale/garage sale type of thing) - but checked to see if there was going to be a gathering for solidarity for those lost and bereaved in Orlando. It turned out that many people were going to gather in the streets where the brocante was because Le Carillon and Le Petite Cambodge restaurants are in that area. Fourteen people died there in November.

It was very moving, some of the Parisian bereaved were there and the restaurants kept the TV news on.

That evening Sorrel and I had a quiet evening in her apartment as she had to be up early for work. The only train running on Monday was at 14.36h so I did a pile of ironing and cleaning for Sorrel before I left.

Dany met me at Epernay station - he had prepared a meal and chilled a half bottle of champagne for us - we also toasted my dad. He would have been 88 years old yesterday, he died at age 64.

Glad to be home - and to be in touch with you all again.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  2. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

So it's just like a provincial trip? All the while I thought you went abroad. But anyway, I'm sure you had a grand time being with your daughter. It's nice to see the family especially if you haven't seen them for quite a time. That's why I try to visit my good old mother at least twice a month so she will not forget my face. It's just sad that the news of the killing in Pulse Gay Club had almost ruined your mood. Yeah, last year it was the Paris attack, I remember.

I also dream of seeing Paris but we have no plans in the near future. Maybe in the far future, that is when I retire from my job, then I can see America and Europe particularly London and Paris and also Rome. But for now, I have to be content with Asian countries. This reminds me that we are going to Hongkong on the 25th of June.

Julie Stewart likes this.
  3. Julie Stewart

Registered

Hi @Corie Henson - I live 70 minutes from Paris so we get to see each other a lot. We always have a good time together, she's 32 this summer and we have become closer and closer over the years.

Corie Henson likes this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I wouldn't mind a weekend in Paris again, last time there was 1969. Just saw on Facebook a picture of the Eiffel Tower all lit up in red, white and green. One of my distant relatives in Hungary was visiting there I guess.

The colors of the French Flag are blue, white and red, so I don't know why it was lit in those colors.

Anyway, glad you had a good weekend with your daughter.

5. Julie Stewart

Registered

You possibly do have a relative in Paris (or at least in France) at the moment. The Euro 2016 football competition is currently taking place in France and most of the countries involved get their national colours on the Tower at some point. Hungary is currently top of their group.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

That's great! Thanks for the info. I doubt she's there for the games but would take a photo of Hungary's flag colors.

I'll have to go back and see if she's said anything. When I looked it was just the photo.

7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Just looked and she didn't say why she was there but maybe her husband is a fan.

Here is the pic...

image.jpg

8. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I would like to go back to Paris sometime when I have more time to see it. I was there for one day about 15 years ago. The weather was not very good, and it was lightly drizzling most of the day. The Louvre was closed so we didn't get to see the Mona Lisa. We spent most of the day in line at the Eiffel Tower which we eventually went up in, that was fun. I got an embroidered T shirt there I wore for years. Anyway, we had lunch in a cafe, and walked around..the rest of the time we were stuck in traffic!

9. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

That's nice to hear. It reminds me of my own family which I visit twice a month. My sister lives 30 kilometers away, that's a good one hour and a half with no traffic. She takes care of my mother who is paralyzed by a stroke. It's only right that she is taken care of by sister who is a nurse and whose husband is a physician. At least they know what to do. My mother has been in that pitiful condition for more than 5 years already but we are coping with the issue especially with the expenses.

Holly Saunders and Julie Stewart like this.
  10. Julie Stewart

Registered

There's an amazing "Fan Zone" on the Champ de Mars with huge screens for viewing the matches. The tower is the backdrop of course and it's lit with the colours of the flags of the teams that are playing as and when.

11. Julie Stewart

Registered

Well .... just let me know and I'll join ya! I've never been stuck in traffic in Paris - it's such a walkable city. I don't much like the Metro (in any city) and when it's quiet I take a bus or one of the bicycles that are free for half an hour. Or I just walk.

12. Julie Stewart

Registered

So sorry to hear about the condition of your mother. It sounds like your family is pulling together to support her and each other. My thoughts are with you all.

Corie Henson likes this.
  13. Lisa Cologne

Lisa Cologne Veteran Member
    Registered

I must say I'm surprised that anyone would visit Paris in this, 2016. As an avid and curious traveler, I was not content staying within any given boundary and wanted to explore my surroundings. Needless to say, we DID find ourselves in many chilling encounters with Muslims. It seems I once stepped on the edge of a prayer rug while trying to get safely across the street and another time we were told to 'turn around and go back'.

I also had trouble in the UK. Strangely enough, I spent two weeks in Cairo and was treated royally by dozens of Muslim men. Never met a woman except at the home of one of the men. But she wasn't encouraged to talk to us.

So after about 40 trips abroad, I abruptly stopped European travel. However, I am happy that you had a good experience and hope that this becomes the norm once again.

14. Julie Stewart

Registered

Never had any trouble with Muslims in Paris. Certainly nothing "chilling" - in fact I find them a warm, lively and welcoming community. I've never seen a prayer mat on a pavement in Paris, which is on of the largest multi-cultural cities in Europe and benefits from such diversity.

Of course Paris, like all major cities, has areas which are less safe - but the people there are from all walks of life and religious persuasion. And women, of course, whatever their religion, are not imprisoned in their homes or discouraged to take an active part in society - such as talking to people freely.

I will continue to visit Paris as often as I can because I love it, I feel safe there and it is so vibrant and lively. It is a city of brave people who have been attacked but who cocked a snoot at the minority of idiots who tried to spoil things for them. The city is stronger and better since last November.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  15. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh ...sorry Julie...I do hope you have a lovely time in Paris, but I hate the place for all the reasons you love it (except the warm and welcoming, because I have to be honest and say I've never met a warm and welcoming french person ever, certainly not in Paris )...sorry again I hope I'm not coming across as offensive.....just been my experience... I have no intention of ever going again...but I do hope you have a lovely trip. :)