Expounding On the Use Of the Phrase "Don't Think"

Discussion in 'Evolution of Language' started by Von Jones, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Let me start by saying 'I don't think this phrase is used correctly in the English language.'

One day I when using the phrase 'I don't think...' it did not sit with me well. It still doesn't sit well with me today. I always wonder how can we 'don't think' something. 'I don't think that is the right way' seems almost like an oxymoron to me but would it sound silly to say 'I think that is not the right way', or 'I'm not sure that is the correct way', wouldn't either be the correct way?

I hear this phrase being used so much that it boggles my mind trying to actually figure it out. From a personal standpoint, I have avoided using this phrase when I'm talking to someone.

Another thing that I noticed when it's used there is always an agreeing response either by nodding or saying yes, you're right.

What are your thoughts or is this too mind-boggling to you as well?

Ron Pearson and Ken Anderson like this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Don't believe might be more accurate, and it is often used interchangeably with don't think.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  3. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I like this Ken. Now if I can just persuade others to say, 'I don't believe that is the right way.' Fat chanceo_O

4. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens Veteran Member
    Registered

I've never thought of it the way you've described but what you say makes a lot of sense and Ken's solution is a good one.

I'm afraid I'm one of those people who's guilty of using the phrase "don't think" a lot. To make matters worse, it's not usually a case of being uncertain of what I'm saying either, but more a reflection of lack of confidence when I dare to disagree with what someone else has said. Unfortunately, if I can't find a way to build my self-belief, I can't see myself removing that phrase from my the things I say or write.

5. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I find that I am always 'checking out' someone's English. It wasn't easy for me until I learned to stop correcting them or just ripping something apart like a joke, for instance. I just took the fun out of it.:oops: I guess that's why I can't tell a decent joke today because I explain it away.:(

6. Ken Anderson

You should try Maine, where it is fairly common to hear someone say, "So don't I" when they are agreeing with you.

7. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, Ken, you have gone and done it nowo_O. That's another one.

8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I think that it makes perfect sense to use the phrase "don't think". Here's why :
    If you ask someone "do you swim" (for example), you are asking them if they do or don't swim.
    If you ask someone "do you think:, then you are asking them if they do or do not think.
    However, if you ask someone " do you think the sky is blue", then you are not asking them whether they do or don't think about it, you are asking them WHAT they think about it.
    Therefore, you are not saying that you don't think, you are just saying what you do/do not think about whatever the subject is about.

9. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

You all have really got me going on this:confused:. Yvonne believe I understand what you're saying.

I used my husband as a sounding board and he thinks it's okay too but I tried to make him see it as I see it -- didn't get any where with him.

Well, until I can find the words to explain myself I'll just have to remain boggled when I hear it.

10. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

I must be missing something here, maybe Im line Von Jones, husband and not getting anywhere with this.

Von Jones likes this.
  11. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I found this old thread of Von's, and I "don't think" it had enough discussion. :D:D:D (That is a common expression around these parts, Von.)

Bess Barber and Ken Anderson like this.
  12. Ken Anderson

Most of us probably have phrases that we grew up with, and never questioned, that may not make sense grammatically.

Bess Barber and Von Jones like this.
  13. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

Same difference is another used widely and incorrectly.

Bess Barber likes this.
  14. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Your example was "I don't think that is the right way." I googled some synonyms such as assume, consider, determine, expect, feel, conceive, imagine, fancy, realize, envision and a few more. Some seem to fit a little better than others. How do I say "I don't think" isn't wrong without saying "I don't think"? Whew!

Bess Barber likes this.
  15. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered