Explosion At Power Plant

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Sheldon Scott, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Yikes! Have no idea where Terry or Holly live in relation to this town. I have an English sister in law who has relatives in the UK but I'm not sure where.

Also read they don't know if it was intentional yet.

3. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

Wow, scary stuff there! I was a little too close to Three Mile Island in 79. :eek: I kept Potassium Iodide pills on hand until a few years ago. I live even closer to a plant now than I did then, but I guess I got complacent. Sure hope I never end up regretting that decision to toss the last ones and not replace them.

Diane Lane and Chrissy Cross like this.
  4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

According to the article that Sheldon quoted, this was a building that has been closed for several years, and they were in the process of demolition when it collapsed.
    While there were people involved with the accident; it is not like it was a building full of people that was fully operational. It must have been in pretty bad shape to have collapsed that fast, which is probably why it was being demolished in the first place.
    This was a steam power plant, and it looks like a very old one, at that. I remember seeing the same kind of chimney when Spokane had the old steam power plant that provided steam heat to the main part of the city. Now , it has been closed for years, and is some kind of a shopping mall and restaurant, if I remember right.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
    Sheldon Scott and Chrissy Cross like this.
  5. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

OMG! I posted it on my facebook page so many people across facebook can share it too. I hope Terry finds this post he lives in Britain. Thanks for the information.

6. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, Terry's in Russia. I think Holly is south of London, but can't be sure.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  7. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes I did see the news, it was an old coal fired power station, which was as Yvonne said was being demolished, it's about 70 miles from where I live but I often passed it when travelling around. Terrible accident and three men still missing.
    The latest news here

@Yvonne Smith

8. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm actually 25 miles North of Central London and about 10 miles north of greater London..... and Didcot is over 50 miles West of London... So the Power station is around a 90 minute drive from me...so quite a long way away.

It appears that the dead man and the missing 3 people were contractors demolishing the building, when part of it fell on them..

Chrissy Cross and Ruby Begonia like this.
  9. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

I used to live about five miles from Didcot and I had friends that lived there. It's one of the few towns in Oxfordshire that isn't very scenic, being an old railway town with a lot of industrial sites around it. As others have mentioned, the power station has been closed for years and is well away from the town itself.

It seems that the contractors involved were doing their first job of this type and while I'd only be speculating, it's not hard to draw the conclusion that it might be a case of the cheapest bid wins.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  10. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

Hopefully no toxic fumes in the area?

Holly Saunders likes this.
  11. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

There was a problem of dust inhalation for the people on site, but it's unlikely that there was anything worse. The demolition has been going on since 2012, so the plant was completely inactive.

12. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

That's quite an old building. It reminds me of some of the ones back in New England. Thankfully it wasn't worse, and I hope by now anyone trapped has been rescued. I wonder what caused the collapse, whether they weren't prepared for how degraded the structure was, or perhaps weren't using properly trained crew members? I would imagine inhaling that dust would cause some ongoing issues. @Mari North I think you can purchase those pills on Amazon, a lot of preppers keep them on hand.

Mari North and Ruby Begonia like this.