Expiration Dates

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Veteran Member
    Registered

Farming is hard work!

2. Janice Martin

Janice Martin Well-Known Member
    Registered

Well, I'm picky about expiration dates on perishables- like milk, fresh meat, eggs, etc.
    Not "as much" with frozen products.
    And I don't usually notice expiration dates on canned/boxed products, unless they're seriously expired when I decide to use one.

3. Augusta Heathbourne

Augusta Heathbourne Active Member
    Registered

I'm really glad you did the right thing and did not ignore the expired cans on the shelves of the money laundering place, but what a position to be in! Very brave! You are lucky you were not taken out by one of them. But how is it that the police can get away with ignoring such blatant drug-related crime, that is what astounds me? Did it end up making you cynical? I would have been so angry and thoroughly exasperated, personally.

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yesterday I just happen to noticed the "Exp. Date" on the bottom of a jar of arthritis cream we bought a couple of months ago. The date said 2/17. I went "What???" We bought that jar in June and the expiration date was in February. What the heck was it doing on the shelf to be sold?? Another jar of arthritis cream, for feet for my wife, showed an expiration date in 2019. That's good.

Took the jar back to CVS Pharmacy and they were going to exchange it for another one. Thing is, the one they had for sale showed it expired in May of this year. The "Manager-In-Training" gave us a Gift Card refund, plus $10 off the next jar. A jar cost almost $20. And, we didn't have a receipt to show him, but he could tell we bought it there.

So, we went down the street to another CVS and they had the jar of cream with an expiration date in 2021. Got it!

The only store we really check expiration or "use by" dates are at Walmart. Now we have to check CVS as well........geeshhhhhhhh!

Holly Saunders likes this.
  5. Anna Peters

Anna Peters Member
    Registered

I'm very diligent with expiration dates and even use by dates and always check the dates on groceries in the grocery isle's in the supermarket and will not buy anything that is within three days of the use by date. My husband on the other hand does not worry with such trivial things and was livid with me when i threw out all this spices when we had first moved in together. Mid you all his spices and sauces were well overdue and had an expiration date of 6 or 7 years prior. Yuck.

Holly Saunders and Frank Sanoica like this.
  6. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

@Babs Hunt
    Better? Or wiser?
    Frank

7. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Anna Peters
    My wife and I last week consumed a can of cooked Pork dated 2004; it was amongst a case brought out to our farm in Missouri, due to our request, by her sister, from Graybill Meats, Graybill, Indiana. They have been in business for decades. Wonderful, savory product in gravy. No hint of indigestion.

Rule is (or was), if a canned product is not bulged outward in any way, anaerobic bacteria have not become present.
    Frank

Sheldon Scott and Anna Peters like this.
  8. Anna Peters

Anna Peters Member
    Registered

That's very interesting Frank. I didn't know this.

9. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Anna Peters
    But on the other hand, cans which have experienced freezing may have become bulged outwards permanently, so the storage history is important. I'm not condoning the consumption of foods indiscriminately, mind you, just telling of a personal experience. I've learned that hoopla about food spoilage is often propaganda, aimed at throwing away perfectly good product, to promote buying new to replace it. Frank

As proof, I offer Auguson Farms products, all kinds of canned foods with a shelf life of 25 years! They must be pretty certain of their product. Here's a quote. See: https://www.augasonfarms.com/food/meats-and-proteins/freeze-dried-meats

Augason Farms Freeze Dried Chicken Breast Chunks are a quick and delicious way to add chicken to any dish. Naturally low in fat, you simply rehydrate these pre-cooked chunks of real poultry and then use them as you would cooked chicken. These tasty morsels can be added to pastas, stir fry, casseroles, salads, sandwich mixes, enchiladas and a variety of other recipes. Use them in your everyday meal preparation as well as for long term emergency storage.

• 25 year shelf life*
    • 15 servings
    • 1 lb , institutional size (#10) can
    • Packaged for long term storage
    • No refrigeration needed, until opened
    • Easy to prepare, just rehydrate – no cooking necessary
    • For emergency food storage, camping or everyday use
    • USDA & Gluten Free Certified

Anna Peters likes this.
  10. Mike Dobra

Mike Dobra Member
    Registered

Interesting thread folks !
    In 1960, I was in the army and I was co-opted on to the catering committee. On a tour of inspection one day, we found that the South American corned beef had been sold to the army during WW2 - and we were eating it! Fast foreword to today,, I have just poured down the sink a full bottle of Slovenian Schnapps which was hiding at the back of the drinks cupboard for over ten years, and have been looking suspiciously at two opened bottles of North German Korn.....

Frank Sanoica and Holly Saunders like this.
  11. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

Being able to speak personally only for myself as a woman I say better and wiser. I'm more comfortable in this body of mine since maturing, in many ways my body and I have gotten to be best friends now. When I was younger I was always trying to change the body God blessed me with for one reason or another. Now I look in the mirror and see a friend who has been with me through thick and thin and I like her very much just the way she is.

So much more wiser too. Learning when something happens...it is not the end of the world...or even the end of my life. Wiser in knowing that even the love that fits you best...is still far from perfect. Wiser to know I can't change the World...but I can change a part of it. And wiser in knowing that I know who I am, what I want. and what I believe and am at peace with all of this. Wiser to know Faith, Love, and Family are what life and living is all about for me.