Exercising At Home

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Corie Henson, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Well, it looks like I really need to do some physical activity since my weight is stagnating amid the "no rice" diet that I had been enduring for 2 months already. But I cannot afford to jog outside for I leave for work as early as 5am. My only choice is to do some jogging in our living room. It's a small space but I can jog in place for maybe 5 minutes or so until I sweat. I'm hoping that the little exercise could help me shed a few grams, huh.

Joe Riley and Krissttina Isobe like this.
  2. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

My doctor has ordered me to loose weight for I've been steadily gaining weight too. I've changed my diet, exercise most of the time and doing without those lovely pastries. We put lentil and brown rice in our rice and sometimes black rice mixture and it turns all purple looking. I've watched Dr. Oz on loosing weight.
    I'm skeptical about this one.

There is more at youtube.com about Dr. Oz and weight loss. As long as the diet doesn't clash with what your doctor says or your current health situation I guess it's safe. I myself have no staying power when I see these weight plans and I'm too old for a regimented diet plan. I do what I can, like most and exercise as my doctor wants me to. Good luck in loosing weight Corie.

3. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

My wife walks with Leslie Sansone video. This is one of her earlier ones, but she has other ones, you can check out.

Augusta Heathbourne likes this.
  4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Wow ! Your wife must have a whole lot of energy (and good knees !) to do that walking exercise every day. I remember when I could walk several miles every evening after work; but neither my heart nor my knees would put up with that kind of activity any more.
    I have the Gazelle glider that both Bobby and I use for exercise here at home, plus we go to the fitness center every other day. Bobby uses the weight machines, and I swim and do water exercises to strengthen and tone my legs, arms, and back muscles.
    I have also been on the low carb eating plan (posted about in the health/diets section of the forum), and I have gradually been losing weight, while at the same time building up my muscle strength.
    Since I am almost 72, things just do not happen as fast as when I was younger, plus after the heart failure, I just lost almost all of my muscle tone because I literally huffed and puffed just walking around the house.
    However, I have improved since the heart cardioversion operation, and going on the anti-inflammatory foods diet.
    It has taken me a while; but since January, I have lost about 30 lbs this way, while at the same time adding muscle, which weighs 4 times as much as fat weighs.
    I still have a ways to go to get to where I want to be; but I am now fitter and weigh less than I have in almost 15 years. So, you younger ladies, do not give up, and just keep working at it, and doing what you can do !

5. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

@Yvonne Smith - Just to clarify, she does it 3 times a week. You can start with the half mile, as a modification and work up. There is one person in the group who modifies the exercises to fit her ability.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We know we have to shed some pounds, so, yesterday we took a walk around our apt. complex, plus some shopping/walking we did before we got home. If we really get bored, we just turn on and start playing our Wii Game. We just aren't that fond of exercise, but we do get some, one way or the other.

7. Yvonne Smith

Since I have been wearing the Jawbone UP24 fitness tracker, I usually get between 1-2 miles logged most days, plus we go to the fitness center at least every other day, and sometimes, every day, with Sundays off.
    We have had one of the Gazelle gliders for the past few years, and that is also something that I have used at home for exercise. After discovering how easily mine worked, @Ina I. Wonder also got herself a nice Gazelle for home exercise.
    For some time now, I have been wanting to be able to ride a bicycle again. I really miss doing that; but when Bobby and I talked it over, it seems like this is just not a practical or safe idea for me to do.
    I have balance issues, and I do not want to crash because I got off-balance. We have drivers who do not follow safe driving procedures on this street, plus it is just not a safe neighborhood for me to be out alone in, either walking or riding.
    And even if that were not an issue, there is the weather to consider. Too cold in the winter, too hot in the summer, and no good on rainy days , either. So, it would be a lot of expense for very few usable days.

Instead, we have decided to get an elliptical bicycle from Amazon. They can be ridden like a bicycle, or you can stand up and use them like an elliptical trainer. You can set how hard you want to work, so it would provide a great workout for either myself or for @Bobby Cole when he wants to use it.
    It costs just over $100, so about the same as buying the bike that I wanted to get, and this will be usable year around.
    We are planning to get it next month when we get paid; and I am looking forward to trying this out !

Ina I. Wonder and Bobby Cole like this.
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Asked my wife this morning, before she left for work, "how many days out of the week (5 days), would you or could you do some exercising?" She said "two". I told her, "we have to do something besides sit in our recliners and watch tv each night after you get home from work." She agreed. But, I do know just how hard it is to get that "motivation" going, especially after she gets home from work. Her work isn't physical, but can definitely be mental. I told her, "one night we can go over to our fitness center and get on the treadmills and the other night we can play our Wii Game. Of course we get much more exercise during our Spring (what there is of a Spring here) and Summer months. Unfortunately, if there is smoke in the air (wildfires) or the weather is rainy, we are stuck inside on some Spring and Summer weekends.

But, we are going to try for the treadmill and Wii Game thing and see what happens. One thing for sure, we'll have the Motrin "at the ready" that night. LOL

9. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Good for you Cody any regular exercise is better than None... and it's more fun too if you have a partner doing it with you, stats have proven that if you have an exercise partner you're much more likely to stick to an exercise regime..

Ina I. Wonder and Yvonne Smith like this.
  10. Yvonne Smith

Our exercise bike is arriving by Fed-ex today........YAY ! ! I am SO excited about it getting here. When we decided to get this instead of a regular bicycle, we gave the Gazelle to my friend and neighbor, who has health issues also; so she and her husband (also with medical issues) can exercise in the house. They were so happy to have the Gazelle, and it has been a great piece of exercise equipment all of these years; but the exercise bike should work even better for me now that my knees are starting to bend enough to use a bike.
    I moved the stereo into the exercise room, and have it set up so that I can play music while I am riding the bike, and this should help me get more steps in for the day.

I can feel my physical fitness improving all of the time, and I really recommend starting an exercise program of some kind, no matter what condition you are in right now.
    When I started, I could barely walk around, let alone exercise, I had to stop and rest all of the time, and chose water exercise because I was more mobile in the water (plus I love swimming). I could barely drag myself in and out of the swimming pool at first, and swam next to the side bar so I could stop and rest while swimming back and forth.
    It has taken me a long time; but I am in better shape now than I have been in for a long time, and still improving.
    Exercise and healthy eating are two things that I think are the most important, especially as we are aging.
    None of us want our family to have to become our caregivers, and we do not want to lose our independence , or have to turn over our finances and life management to someone else.
    Taking care of our body is one of the best ways to prevent this from happening.

11. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Exercise by the UN health study does not help in losing weight. Exercise for me is work and boring so I could never get into it but I love laying so I took up judo. It is a game in which you exercise. There is one danger to exercise without proper nourishment lots of athletes die of a heart attack while doing sports and this is just a deficiency of one mineral.

12. Doc James

Doc James Veteran Member
    Registered

hi there!
    exercising at home is possible. If you have enough space, maybe you can buy a treadmill, but if not.. some floor exercises or drills may be helpful. you can do exercise for 30minutes each day such as lunges, planking and calisthentics while at home in order for you to sweat at the same time tone your body without any exercise materials. Also, watching what you eat may be a lot of help.

13. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

14. Doc James

Doc James Veteran Member
    Registered

HI there @Ken Anderson!thank you for the warm welcome. I do hope I would be able to help people here in you forum. Feel free to message me for any concerns, and I would try to my best to answer your questions.

15. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

This isn't really a help forum. It's more of a discussion forum where people fifty and older relate to one another in a variety of ways, one of which might involve getting questions answered, but for every question someone may have answered, they have been able to answer questions as well, since everyone here has accumulated knowledge and experiences that may be shared with others.

Martin Alonzo and Yvonne Smith like this.