Exercise Trikes For Seniors

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Hal Pollner, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I always thought those recumbent bikes looked like they would be hard on your back. I've never tried one. Let us know how it feels. Hope you like it.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have friends out in Idaho who have the recumbant trikes, and they like theirs, but I am not sure how much they actually ride them. It looked to me like they would be really low to be able to get on and off of the recumbant trikes.
    I actually had one of the older Schwin 3-wheel bikes, and I wanted it really bad until I almost killed myself with it. To be honest, it was not the fault of the trike, but of the trike-rider, and my lack of experience.

I had pushed the trike out onto the road, and sat won on the seat, ready to go. You know how you always give a little push-off with your left foot in a regular bicycle when you start ?
    Well, I did that (out of habit ?) and as I pushed off, I ran over my left foot, because the wheel is not directly behind you like it is on a regular bike. When I ran over my foot, I looked down to see what happened, and pulled the steering handlebars of the trike to a sharp left, thus capsizing the trike.

Just as all that happened, a car came barreling down the road, straight at me, and I know I was a Goner !
    Thankfully, my Sweetie was standing right there, and Bobby grabbed both me and the bike and kept me from falling on the road, and pulled me out of the way of the oncoming car, all at the same time.
    That night, I put the bike on Craigslist.

I still would like to have one, and now that I know you have to sit there with BOTH feet on the pedals before you start, I could probably ride it okay; but I still worry about what if I got down the road and had a problem, and then couldn’t get back home.
    So, at least for now, a bicycle or trike are both on my “do not have” list.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  3. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

My Exercise is a Combination Rollator/Walker/Transport Chair with cup holder and foot rest.
    I would love to be able to use a bike of any kind but legs and feet make that impossible. I use the walker for brief periods of walking exercise.

4. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Lon, you would not want a Bike, but a Trike!

Much more stable, and you don't have to put your foot on the ground when you come to a stop!

Hal