Excessive Walking When On A Tour

Discussion in 'Travel & Vacation' started by Corie Henson, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Maybe it is the age that is catching up on us because in our recent travels, it is noticeable that we didn't have the endurance anymore for walking great distances. A kilometer of walk used to be peanuts but now it's not only my feet but also my husband's that seem to be complaining. We are in Hongkong every year so we are used to taking the train and walking the length of the train station. In our recent travel, it's not the stamina that is in question but the feet, they get sore, painful, aching especially at night. Is this some kind of malady or is it just because of age?

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm older than you, Corie and my feet or legs seldom hurt walking....it's always my back that hurts after a long walk.

Of course I wear that most comfortable shoes when I walk, I'm real picky about that.

3. Debbie Seattle

Debbie Seattle Veteran Member
    Registered

Good quality shoes are essential. My entire working life I was on my feet most of the day and learned a long time ago that it was essential to have a good quality shoe. I may not own a lot of shoes, but what I have are reallly comfortable.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, if you don't have good shoes, you will be miserable in walking. Even if you don't get a blister, it is important for comfort sake to have the right kind of shoes. Whenever, I think I am going to be doing a lot of walking I make sure I have good shoes, or I know that my feet are going to be in misery. It also helps to keep a spare pair of shoes with you, because different part of your feet will get a workout. Just recent;y, we were at th Flight 93 Memorial, It wasn't the walking that was keeping me from seing it all, but the time factor! The rememberance wall is way up on a hill.

5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I agree that shoes are important; but since you have been going on these trips for a while now, I would assume that you wore comfortable shoes before when you walked somewhere.
    When I was in my late 50's, I was walking 3-4 miles every day after I came home from an 8-10 hour work shift on my feet working in a large kitchen at a private school. We fed around 100 people; so I was always busy.
    I wore comfortable tennis shoes at work, and also when I took my dog and went for a walk after work at night.
    The only reason that I started having my feet hurt was after my heart went bad, and then my legs and feet would be very swollen and hurt all the time, whether I was walking or not.
    So , just your age should not be the problem with you being able to walk. If more comfortable shoes do not solve the problem, then you might want to ask your doctor if there is some medical reason that could be causing this problem.

6. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I think it was 20013 when my husband wore his new leather shoes for our trip to Hongkong. After a day of roaming, he was complaining at night that his feet felt warm particularly the toes. But on the next day we had to walk again and he did with nary a complaint. On the third morning, we were shopping for items to bring home for the afternoon flight when my husband complained that he had difficulty walking with his painful toes. Back at the hotel, he learned that both his smallest toes were burned. He had to wear slippers to the airport because of the painful toes. A few days after arriving, we went to my sister's house for a checkup (my sister's husband is a physician). What do you know? The toenails of those 2 smallest toes were detached already.

7. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

Good shoes are important. I remember getting blisters on my feet walking a lot in Las Vegas. I really only wear walking shoes.

I'm so tired of being on my feet at work for so many hours. At 56, it's not as easy as it used to be.

8. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

So true good and comfy shoes are very important. I got ingrown toenails on both sides! Had to go to the doctors because again I kicked it, a real ouchie!!!!!!! It's a bit of a pain then...doctor cut into it and got out the infection and nail. I got to go back in 3 months...this is the right side. Now the left side is ingrown too. I've been researching it for cures. There is a kit for 44.99 + shipping to straighten your toenail so it'll grow right. You can get ingrown toenails from too tight or too loose shoes too. Take care of your feet & don't get ingrown toenails too. Forget fashion and go comfy always and you'll stay healthier. Take care and I hope your husband feels better. Somethings are old age too. Before I could exercise for over 2 hours; now one hour is hard work! LOL!